Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading speed cameras to TomTom 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading speed cameras to TomTom 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slingsby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Downloading speed cameras to TomTom 300 Reply with quote

Hello I am a newby and badly in need of help. I have paid my subscription and am attempting to download latest cameras to my TomTom 300. Everything goes fine until I unzip the downloaded files. I then get two blue squares with paint brushes in and a white square with a blue"E" in it titled pocketgps.uk.mobile 47Kb and another similar but with 379Kb. Clicking these squares does not open them and at no stage do I see a file "Great Britain Map" I have spent five hours trying to improve things including shutting down my firewall. I am stumped, help please!
Peter
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full instructions are here

I don't see anything in them about clicking the files or opening them once you have unzipped them. The instructions mention a FOLDER called "Great Britain Map" but no file.

I suggest starting again with these instructions and noting exactly where you get stuck. Then let us know...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through the instructions it appears you have to copy and paste the files from the ZIP file to the "Great Britain Map" folder on your TT. You don't need to open the download files at all.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my tomtom 500 this week and I am sure I just extracted the files in the usual way to the map folder !! it all worked okay
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the replies so far are correct. Unless you have specifically installed some special software (such as POIEdit) on your computer, there is NOTHING on a standard PC that knows what to do with an "ov2" datafile as used by the TomTom.
So trying to "open" them will not work.

What the instructions tell you to do is:
DOWNLOAD the zip archive file
EXTRACT the files from the Zip archive
COPY those files into the map folder on your machine.

What the exact name of YOUR map folder is, depends on the model of TomTom and version of map you have, but certainly ONE of the UK map folders I had was called "Great_Britain-Map" (note the underscores and hyphens, getting things like that right can be very important!), so put the files in the folder named something like that!

Hope that clarifies it a bit more...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will also help you to see what the ACTUAL files are if you set your computer to show you the WHOLE file names. (By default, that nice Mr Gates hides the information from you).

Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and go to the Tools Menu

TOOLS / FOLDER OPTIONS / VIEW Tab /
In the "Advanced settings" section:-
TICK "Show hidden files and folders" and
UN-TICK "Hide extensions for known file types"

Once you've done that, you should find the four files you have to copy across to the TomTom (assuming you downloaded the "all-in-one" version of the database) are:
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.bmp
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_sc.bmp
pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2

The two .bmp files are the icons (pictures of a camera) you see on screen, and the .ov2 files are the actual lists of all the cameras.

The "pocketgps_uk_sc" ones are the MAIN database, and the "pocketgps_uk_pmobile" ones are the extra un-confirmed mobile sites that some people asked for.
Slingsby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. I haven't been able to get very far as I can't get my computer and TomTom to talk to each other. My TomTom shows up in "MY Computer" OK but the TomTom home page sticks at "Connect your Device" I have tried the suggested fixes (another USB port, resetting my TomTom etc) to no avail. Have contacted TomTom support for their help, what a frustrating business! Will keep you posted - thanks again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore TomTom Home for this as it has no useful part to play at all, simply shut down the stupid application on the PC.

Start Windows Explorer, identify the drive which is associated with your TomTom and double click it to show the contents, once this is open you will be able to select the map folder and paste the POI files into it - Mike
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slingsby wrote:
Thank you all for your help. I haven't been able to get very far as I can't get my computer and TomTom to talk to each other. My TomTom shows up in "MY Computer" OK but the TomTom home page sticks at "Connect your Device" I have tried the suggested fixes (another USB port, resetting my TomTom etc) to no avail. Have contacted TomTom support for their help, what a frustrating business! Will keep you posted - thanks again.

Don't forget to back up your tomtom in windows rather than tomtom home
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Ignore TomTom Home for this as it has no useful part to play at all,
simply shut down the stupid application on the PC.

... and that's the best advice you'll hear today! Laughing
Slingsby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Downloading speed cameras to TomTom 300 Reply with quote

Eurika! Combining all the previous advice with the tip about working TomTom in Windows Explorer has worked, I am pretty sure that I now have the current speed camera info on my device.
Thank you all very much for your help.

When I next wish to update my camera lists will I have to delete the existing ones somehow or can I simply drag and drop the latest downloads into Great Britain map folder and let it all sort itself out?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drag & drop - any existing files will be overwritten.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget you can set up a trial route past a camera or two in "advanced planning A-B" (also known as "prepare route A-B").
Then do a "demo" of that route to test the camera warnings, without having to actually go for a drive. (Keep the demo speed below 300% or the alerts won't sound though).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: