Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Blue circle round current location?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue circle round current location?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Blue circle round current location? Reply with quote

I have just noticed a new feature on my 660. If I try to drag the map the current location acquires a blue circle round it. Has anyone else noticed this? I think that it is new since the update to unit software 4.20 and GPS 3.00.
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have your unit but on both mine the blue circle is the 'Accuracy Circle'.

The smaller it gets, indicates the accuracy of the 'fix'!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't do it here.... You are just doing this in View Map? With GPS On? Can you do a Screengrab?
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Doesn't do it here.... You are just doing this in View Map? With GPS On? Can you do a Screengrab?

I'd bet it does! I tried again this evening and couldn't find it until I had zoomed up to a very large scale. As Strumble says it seems to be the accuracy of the fix and if the scale is too small the circle will be obscured by the car.

Forgive me if I do not post a screenshot but it would publish my home location! I am happy to pm you but even that should not be necessary. View map, zoom in to max and tap the screen.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the chance that the accuracy circle may well surround two members posting in the same thread, on the same website, happening again?

In my area all I get are seagulls and sheep! Very Happy

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i can't get it to work. I zoomed right in and i drag the map round and a round and no circle...... Even with 5 bars of signal....
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Well i can't get it to work. I zoomed right in and i drag the map round and a round and no circle...... Even with 5 bars of signal....

Paul,
I will admit that I do not get it if I drag the map around, only when the unit is trying to locate you at the present map position[ie your home].

There is the option on the iQue to select the Accuracy Circle, but I cannot find it on the 60CSX at the moment, but the screenshot shows the 60CSX.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's present on the Nüvi 310 as well.

inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

With 5 bars of signal accuracy will be good and circle small and therefore less easy to spot. Try it in the middle of your house.
On my 660 it is very visible with 4 bars.

HOWEVER ----- I then closed down the GPS - the ring became smaller but stayed. Powered down, then on again with GPS closed. Max zoom and blue circle diameter is 1.5 times width of car symbol!

So maybe it is not GPS accuracy. Might it be like finding the cursor in Windows by using Ctrl-click?
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Circle is an Accuracy Indicator, and it will not show on the iQue or Nuvi range once a specific level of accuracy is reached or exceeded. I have very rarely witnessed it on my Nuvi, because the Sirf chip is so good at attaining GPS signal. In fact if my memory serves me right the only time I have seen it is when i am visiting Edinburgh City centre (with all the very narrow streets and very tall buildings) and the Nuvi has just been switched on after a nights rest (First fix)
Please don't take what I am saying as an insult, its not intended.
One more point I would mention, although you units are showing good Signal strengths, what is the accuracy level. If you go into the GPS signal strengh page on your units (i.e tap the signal bars, and this will open a new page) it should tell you your accuracy in feet or meters
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please don't take what I am saying as an insult, its not intended.

Question

I'm not sure how anyone could take offence at what you said. Very informative.
bush12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Round circle around the location Reply with quote

It is a question mark in the location. I do not post a screen of but it would publish my home location! I am happy with this location.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: