Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth link dropping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth link dropping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBloxam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Bluetooth link dropping Reply with quote

My h2210 has repeatedly droped Bluetooth link while running TTN2 with the GR-230. I was losing the link every few minutes, this was particulary bad on longer journeys.

One week ago I transfered the TTN2 maps from SD to a Compact Flash memory card. This has reduced the number of Bluetooth link drops considerably. I have tested it during a couple of 1.5 Hr journeys and the link has only dropped once, the CF must be much faster at reading the map data.

Since the problem is processor / resource dependent, it also helps to do a soft reset before starting TTN2. I have also programmed one of the buttons to start the TomTom GPS program, from here it is quick to re-establish the Bluetooth link if you need to.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I do see drops on all BT GPS's, but when using other apps on CF card I don't see them at all either. I think it's down to the extra processing it has to do for an SD slot, there's much more reliant on the processor than a CF slot where probably most of the hardware/caching is built into the technology.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Dave's comment on the technology - CompactFlash is a much lower overhead interface for the PocketPC than SecureDigital is - not least because the XScale processors that most of them use have a PC Card interface on the processor. CompactFlash is a subset of PC card.

SecureDigital has greater overheads for the Pocket PC's processor, and SD performance is much more driver dependent, as those caught out by the original release of the SD drivers in the x.1x Pocket PC 2002 ROMs on the iPAQ 3900 series know (for anyone still using those ROMs, installing the appropriate patch from HP is highly recommended).

However, SD seems to be the way ahead in the marketplace, not least because SD cards are much smaller than CompactFlash. This allows for smaller, more compact devices.

David
golmert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happens to me only that apperantly the BT connection drops regardless of where the maps are- SD or CF.

More then that- I even tried to link the BT device to the BT device manager of my 2215 and after a few min it dissconnects!

Any body knows what the issue is? I did install the BT update of HP but that doesnt help. It does seem like a BT bug regardless of the GPS software....
RBloxam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golmert

What settings are you using in the GPS connection program.

I use "TomTom Wireless GPS" and "Bluetooth serial port COM8:" and my setup works fine. Hardly ever drops the link.

When setting be careful not to change the baud rate, this may result in complete loss of connection with the GR 230 (see other posts on topic).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: