Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 250 12v Ciggy cable question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 250 12v Ciggy cable question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stroker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Nuvi 250 12v Ciggy cable question Reply with quote

I have now got my Nuvi 250 and I had a 12v Ciggy power supply in my car routed through my dash that used to belong to my Garmin i3. I plugged my Nuvi 250 into it and it went into a black screen with a picture of a wire comming out of a computor.....now I assume this is charging as it did have an effect on the power status bars (it went up) But unlike the supplied 12v Ciggy power supply it did not display the maps! I also have a spare USB lead from my old i3 which I have used to put some POI and the Garmin speed Camera database,again it went to a black screen as it was doing the upload and would not/could not/display maps. So Question.....

1. If I bought a cheapo 12v Ciggy cable off Ebay which is deemed to be Nuvi "compatable" would it just charge in black screen or display maps aswell as charge at the same time.
stressedred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used the cigi lighter from my nuvi 360 on my nuvi250 no probs, i persume as long as you get a compatible cig charger ull b alright
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stressedred wrote:
i used the cigi lighter from my nuvi 360 on my nuvi250 no probs, i persume as long as you get a compatible cig charger ull b alright

The Nüvi 3xx charger has a 'personality' resistor between pins 4 + 5 of the Mini-usb plug. This tells the Nüvi it's a charger, not a PC - and so not to go into data mode. (This is actually unnecessary for the 3xx, since the mini-usb socket on the cradle isn't actually a 'proper' USB connection anyway - just a power connector. It does make this a useful charger for use with other Nüvi's & StreetPilots though!)

Generic 'USB chargers' will probably not have the 'personality' resistor. Plugging them into the usb socket on any of the units will result in 'data' mode. Plugging them into the back of the 3xx cradle results in something slightly odd - it assumes it can draw upto 1A from it and probably can't. It fairly rapidly stops charging, but lies and says battery charging complete instead!.

If you find a non-Garmin charger that does have this resistor, make sure it is rated at 1A, rather than 500mA, which is all 'real' USB has to be able to supply.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: