Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stronger windscreen mount for One new edition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stronger windscreen mount for One new edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Stronger windscreen mount for One new edition Reply with quote

I'm sick of it falling off the windscreen, looking for one with a sronger suction cup, similar to the 'old' Tomtom one with the lever, seen one on Amazon, it's a German brand, any other recommendations?

Tomtom One
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
United Kingdom and Replublic of Ireland v885.4058
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same trouble with the Tomtom 520 holder and in the end i went for a brodit holder !!

They are not cheap but are an excellent solution .

There are many alternatives on the market
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked into the Brodit vent clips before, has anyone got a link for a Brodit windscreen mount and clip?

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if its okay to post links perhaps if its not a moderator will remove it

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but cant find a windscreen mount within that lot!

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I idea behind the brodit system is you buy a proclip which is specific to your car .
When used with a mini move clip you just slide the sat nav on and off the proclip just leaving the proclip on show

I do not know this is maybe what you are looking for but the proclip system is better than any suction mount

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/suctionDSL.asp

There are many suction mounts on the market from other manufactures try a search on Google
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the Brodit clips were good quality, thats why I wondered if they did a windscreen mount, had already searched and Google returned a few hits, particularly on Amazon for the windscreen mount, and some seemed ok, so I will prob try one of those.

In my opinion although the Brodit clips look nice and hold the device secure they have some disadvantages.
1 Unless I am wrong I was under the impression that the vent clips were difficicult to remove!
2 The clip is then lesft on show so surely even the most stupid thief will cotton on soon that its a satnav clip.
3 If you drive different vehicles like myself then really its not practical to have anything other than a screen mount, and they are car specific, so your buying a different one if you change your brand of car.
4 They are not cheap.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
I knew the Brodit clips were good quality, thats why I wondered if they did a windscreen mount, had already searched and Google returned a few hits, particularly on Amazon for the windscreen mount, and some seemed ok, so I will prob try one of those.

In my opinion although the Brodit clips look nice and hold the device secure they have some disadvantages.
1 Unless I am wrong I was under the impression that the vent clips were difficicult to remove!

The clips are not that difficult to remove. I wouldn't use a vent clip that actually clips to the vent louvres - I only did it once and the repeated vibrations broke the vent. My Brodit mount for my nuvi 660 slots over one of the centre dash vents - leaving a clear area for air to be blown out.

Quote:

2 The clip is then lesft on show so surely even the most stupid thief will cotton on soon that its a satnav clip.

Yes - but if you use the mini move clip it is an anonymous bracket that is left - nothing to identify it as a satnav. It could be for PDA / Phone. In my car (VW Bora) the dash and the clip are virtually the same colour - very difficult to see as you walk past.

Quote:

3 If you drive different vehicles like myself then really its not practical to have anything other than a screen mount, and they are car specific, so your buying a different one if you change your brand of car.
4 They are not cheap.

Agreed - it can be expensive to set up each car with the mount and minimove clip - but they are very good.

The alternative would be a 'beanbag' mount. My wife (nuvi 310 user) has one for her new car (didn't want to mess up the dash or windscreen). I don't know if they are available for TomTom - the one we use is a Garmin. It's really very good - and it locks away in the glove compartment.

I have never come across a really good windscreen mount - and I have tried over many years for PDAs. The only ones that seem to stay on the screen for a long time are those with a short mounting post - I guess it reduces the force trying to lever the unit off the windscreen. this tends to leave them vulnerable to reduced visibility due to glare. And as you will have to remove it each time you park the car then I would expect the 'grip' to reduce over time. Long stemmed/gooseneck w/s mounts do seem to suffer from excessive vibration.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I wish they would make a beanbag mount for the Tomtom ???

You can get them in the USA ( its a case of if you wish to buy from there ) as in some states it is against the law to have a mount on your windscreen.
The beanbag mount could be the solution for you !!! but must admit on the old Tomtom 500 the mount was a lot better and I never had it fall off
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodit every time for me. Get a ProClip, don't bother with vent clips. Use a Move Mount to attach your cradle to the ProClip and then you can remove the cradle in seconds and all that is left is a very anonymous plastic bracket.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought....

In all my time with the 720 (a similar mount to the ONE), I've had to whack it onto the dash quite hard, but it hasn't fallen off (unless my wife has put the sucker on for me, rether too gently).

Recently though, I've noticed the "arm" seemed to have a bit more "play" in it then before, meaning a bit more vibration.

By chance, I tried this... Whack the sucker mount on as usual, but then just hold the arm and give it a little push (straight towards the windscreen). HUGE difference to the suction and stability!
I do it every time now, and find I don't need to whack it on so hard in the first place either.
Try it!
vizille
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my Tom Tom One V2 windscreen mount. When i first had it, it keep falling off the screen as well until I realised that I wasn't pushing it in the right place when putting it on.

If you push the stalk in the middle rather than round the outside of the sucker you should have no problems.

Mine sticks like hell now, Its a job to get it off sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: