Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it really worth upgrading?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it really worth upgrading?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Is it really worth upgrading? Reply with quote

I had a look at the truly awful preview map screens and spent about an hour checking out 2 new roads near me (a search would be good rather than zooming in and out, hitting F5 constantly) one being the new one from the forth bridge, and neither were on it, despite being planned for the last few years so if I update, I'll still get "drive to the nearest road" as I drive along it.

My friends house in Falkirk still isn't listed as far as I can see - mind you the road has not been adopted by the local council yet.

Overall, I failed to see any difference in the areas I use most frequently.

I'm still debating as my disc finally arrived last night, would it make any difference, (new POIs?) especially for France where we're heading on holiday soon?

cheers
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most noticeable differences will be Eastern Europe where they are still striving for 100% mapping, just like the UK and France then..............Yeah right!!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just applied the new 2008 update and M63 still exists despite becoming the M60 in 1999! Evil or Very Mad - I filled Garmin's map error reporting form in 2 updates ago - so much for progress!
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
Just applied the new 2008 update and M63 still exists despite becoming the M60 in 1999!

No, what you're seeing is the Basemap, which hasn't been updated.

If you zoom out far enough (depending on the Map Detail level you have set), it stops using the detailed map and switches to the Basemap. In this case, the name suddenly changes and the new section to the east of Manchester disappears.

The V2008 maps are up-to-date, as far as this road is concerned and have all the new lanes near the Carrington Spur. These weren't on the V9 maps.

(Not shown on the map, is my escape tunnel back to Yorkshire Very Happy )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: