Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Upgrading from Go 500 to ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Upgrading from Go 500 to ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time2ChangeGo500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Newbie Upgrading from Go 500 to ??? Reply with quote

Hello All

I am hoping that some of you can help me in my quest. Please bear with me as I will take you through my current situation to what I think is my options for change.

I have had a GO500 for what must be about 3 years when they were newish, think I paid about £450 from Halfords at the time. I am on Map v675.1409 (which I bought awhile ago) and application v7.162. I currently subscribe to Traffic via bluetooth phone connection and Speed Camera updates. In my job I travel approx 45000 miles a year covering the South East -including my favourite central London, as a Sales Rep and have become very reliant on my TT, especially the traffic service. I do also occasionally travel to/in France.

Now, last week I decided that it might be nice to upgrade to one of the new TT Go. Quite straight forward I thought, quick search on t'internet showed me that TT are about to launch the x30 series Go. Excellent, I'll wait for that. Then I saw that the existing Go x20 series was quite dramatically reduced in price, so then decided to look into the differences between the two. Which is how I ended up here, very useful site by the way and I will be subscribing to your speed camera database when TT runs out. Since reading many topics on here about both the x20 and x30 series I am now more confused than ever. Originally I had intended to wait and get the 730 with HD Traffic, although it seems that might not be so straight forward with lead times for HD traffic and also the launch of x30. With the price reductions for the x20 I thought right, lets get the 920T for £260 then upgrade the firmware/maps to get the IQ routes etc.. for whatever TT charge.

Hope this makes sense, basically what I am after is your opinions on which model to go for, is it worth buying a traffic model, if not the HD traffic, as the updates dont seem that good from what I have read on here plus I already have a phone traffic subscription which is quite good and would transfer to new model.

Argh, even writing this doesn't make sense to me Embarassed ..... HELP

Thanks in advance
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to grab a 720 which will cover you for UK/ European driving, as for a 720T version, the RDS-TMC simply doesn't work very well in the UK, they (TT) sorted out the reception issues but vital data pertaining to delay durations is missing, using GPRS supplied traffic is a better option IMHO. As for HD Traffic in the UK, its not here yet and who knows when (if) it will ever launch.

If you are planning trips to the USA the 920 isn't worth considering, with the 720 at £169 and a US Map for £50 you might as well save some cash.

Bear in mind the 920 comes with a remote control (but I don't miss not having such a device) and the gyro system is only much use if you drive in tunnels or very dense built up areas that restrict the GPS reception.

Choice is yours, we have no idea when/ if or at what cost any x20 upgrade to the Navcore 8 specification will be though - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm high mileage myself. I run two 720s and a 920T alongside each other. The T in 920T is rubbish and everybody says the phone traffic subscription is better. The giro in my opinion is also a waste of sales talk - in my experience (central London building canyons) it performs no better (and sometimes worse) than the 720s alongside it.

The 720 will accept a big (at least 8GB) SD card as additional capacity if you need it, although the Western Europe Map resides on internal memory happily.

So my vote would be for the 720 with a continuation of your TT Traffic subscription. The sooner your TT cameras subscription ends and you subscribe to ours, the better (for you). If your present phone works for hands free calls and SMS messages on the 500, DO NOT change it and it'll serve as well on the 720.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully any improved software and more detailed mapping will become available on the x20 in time as it seems to have been tomtom policy to make updates available to previous models .

With the 720 you have a product where the faults are well known ( unless tomtom introduce new ones )

With the x30 being a new model it may well have teething problems as in the past early adopters of the new sat navs have been unpaid beta testers .
these are just a few points to consider.
Time2ChangeGo500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the replies.

I think I had made my mind up as I was writing for help, it was cemented when I saw the Go 720 for £169 in the replies, quick search revealed that as the Comet in store price so thanks to the POI downloads that I did yesterday I whacked one in on my way to Bexhill.

Been charging it in the car all day, just need to set it all up now!?!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time2ChangeGo500 wrote:
Been charging it in the car all day, just need to set it all up now!?!

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP Using Windows Explorer.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
nbg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

If you are planning trips to the USA the 920 isn't worth considering, with the 720 at £169 and a US Map for £50 you might as well save some cash.

Bear in mind the 920 comes with a remote control (but I don't miss not having such a device) and the gyro system is only much use if you drive in tunnels or very dense built up areas that restrict the GPS reception.

To be fair to the 920, it's available for £245 from Amazon, only £25 more than the 720 with the US map. I think what you get (remote, gyro, RDS/TMC) with the 920 is worth the extra £25 IMHO.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to shop around the 720 can be had for £169, the remote control is used for what? - I make sure I can touch the screen so it is pointless. RDS-TMC doesn't currently work in the UK as far as I am concerned so that again is a waste, and the Gyro is only any good in a tunnel - prey tell where that exists in this country and you need to make a choice part way through it.
920 is a great device, but a 720 with the extra maps if required and the bells/ whistles that are not needed for normal use might save some cash - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go 720 now £164.99 at Amazon and some from an Amazon Market Place seller down to £149 slightly used & ex display.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: