Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third response - "Is this the same route? One picture shows you on the M62, the other shows the M6." My reply - "There are actually 6 screenshots in the set, here are the missing four, which show that there are supposed to be four incidents on route, first on M62, two on M60 and one on M6."

Oh and I've had a reply to the colours query I raised separately "It's under investigation and we have no solution for you at present, other than to roll back to 7.221."

On the 920T, the latest is they are sending me a box to send them back the antenna, which they describe as "TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver EU v3.75 [M] 2V00.006". I wonder if they've got that right? I thought it was 4V00.013, although to be fair, I've found a bag marked 2V00.006.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourth response (and for anybody who's getting confused, this is to my second question over a GO720 as to why the RDS-TMC service doesn't work properly) -
Quote:
We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We have sent your question to our 2nd line technical department.

We hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query.

It would seem that this TT customer support team person has not yet been included in the "This information has been forwarded to the whole customer support team". Twisted Evil Presumably using a whitevanman following a GOx20 without Traffic enabled, so he's currently somewhere en route wondering why it's all stopped!

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN

You are tempting me in to a bit of TT baiting!

I might just send them a whole host of screenshots to look at to see if they can tell me why RDS-TMC still isn't working 5 months after the launch of the 920T, especially as I made them aware of it on a 520 before they had even got round to launching the 520T and 720T.
Their response at that time was that the RDS-TMC receiver was not an available accessory for the x20 range!!!

Andy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

"TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver EU v3.75 [M] 2V00.006"

This is the reference they used when they replaced all of the original receivers for the current 4v00.013 model.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But rather stupidly the number they quote is the one from the plastic bag the device is supplied in, the number on the actual unit should be the one that identifies the component (ends in .013 for the latest version), this would avoid any confusion - who saves plastic bags that devices are supplied in unless it goes back in the box empty - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
But rather stupidly the number they quote is the one from the plastic bag the device is supplied in, the number on the actual unit should be the one that identifies the component (ends in .013 for the latest version), this would avoid any confusion - who saves plastic bags that devices are supplied in unless it goes back in the box empty - Mike

So all DennisN has to return is the bag then? Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
mikealder wrote:
who saves plastic bags that devices are supplied in unless it goes back in the box empty - Mike

So all DennisN has to return is the bag then? Laughing

Embarassed Sorry Mike - me - I confess! (remember, I'm up to my zillionth device, so I'm pretty expert at re-packing them). I even have the right plastic bags in the right cardboard boxes for all three devices. Sad, innit?

Fifth response (to my second Question - RDS-TMC on the 720 #7) "Can you tell what version TMC Reciever you are using?" - replied - "4V00.013 on the little ticket on it." Notice the deliberate mistake? Still no sign of the "This information has been forwarded to the whole customer support team".

PS Anybody want to take on the job of organising my stuff? - it's getting very difficult to know which response is for which question, PLUS, with the 920T antenna going back sometime soon, I might get caught without one on the 720 - I've only got the one which came with the 920T!

grahama41
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this post with a great deal of interest because I recently bought a 720T, connected it to TT Home, updated everything and THEN I looked at this web site. Yes, I know I should have looked before but hind sight and all that ....

Anyway, my unit seems to work reasonably well at receiving the RDS-TMC data but, as everyone agrees, the 720T doesn't seem to display it correctly. I'm now using 7.48, and took a drive to Holland this week and this is what I discovered ...

Drove from Portsmouth to Dover. RDS-TMC lock from Portsmouth to Hindhead, then nothing from Hindhead to the M25, and then lock from M25 all the way to Dover. The jam at Hindhead was reported but with no time delay present. In reality, it was about 15 minutes. On the M20, RDS-TMC showed a lane closed near Leeds Castle but there wasn't one and no sign of there being one recently.

In France, got RDS-TMC lock throughout from the point of arrival through to Belgium border, no problems to report.

In Belguim, got RDS-TMC lock throughout from France to Holland. Showed lane closure correctly. Took a look around the RDS-TMC map here but there were no jams being shown; only roadworks, lane closures etc. It was Monday lunchtime so maybe it was right????

In Holland, got RDS-TMC lock throughout to Zierekzie. No problems encountered but this is where it gets interesting ....

I looked around the RDS-TMC map in Holland and saw several jams and they were ALL SHOWING THE DELAY DATA too. Yes, there were delays of 13 mins, 12 mins, 7 mins, 3 mins ..... all over the area I could see in Holland. For the ultimate test, I then planned a journey from where I was through some of the jams and surprise, surprise, there on the navigation screen it showed the jam symbol with the delay time alongside!!! Yes, it worked as the GPRS data does. I then asked it to reroute around the problem which it did successfully, advising me of the new journey time. I was amazed as I haven't seen this whilst using the RDS-TMC aerial in the UK.

If the TT720T works fine in Holland, could it be that the RDS-TMC data in the UK is the problem??? We all know it is broadcast weakly and it's patchy, but could it be be more complex than that? Any ideas anyone?

Returning yesterday gave no more surprises except the lane closure on the M20 was still supposed to be there .... but wasn't! Hmmm, the UK RDS-TMC data is somewhat suspect.

Another strange thing is that my 720T has the TT speed camera database on it but I didn't buy it! It's definitely not the PocketGPS one as I changed the warning messages to tell me which database was generating which message. I don't remember even asking for it to be installed as a free trial or anything else. Not a problem of course but wondered whether others had found this too. FYI, the TT speed camera database is fantastic for Holland (not surprising I guess!) with many more cameras than the PocketGPS one. On my journey I found about 10 new ones which I've forwarded to the PocketGPS database, but unlike the PocketGPS ones, you can't see the TT ones on the map unless you actually drive past the site .... very clever TT (protecting their IP) but doesn't help with route planning the least monitored routes!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, Welcome to the forum, quite a few very valid points and observations you have made there.

Lets break this down into a few specific areas, which I hope will go someway to answering your questions:

RDS-TMC reception. There are still large areas within the UK where reception can be difficult to achieve, iTIS Holdings which is the company responsible for supplying the data via the FM transmission system in the UK is in the process of adding more transmitters and radio stations to the network to reduce the poor reception problems. This upgrade was first mentioned around January 2007 and while some stations have been added there are considerably more on the "still to do list" Once this upgrade has been completed we should all see far better reception across the country.

RDS-TMC Information, where roads appear closed or restricted on the TomTom when in reality there isn't a problem is again down to iTIS who supply the data. This is a long standing issue, whilst the data has improved it still has a very long way to go before I would trust it 100% to make the correct routing selection to avoid "True" incidents.

UK display of delay time, another much discussed topic - I have never yet seen this work correctly while using version 7 software of any issue yet released. Without correct delay information the device cannot offer a re-route to avoid the traffic incident because it is blind to the severity of each event. As you point out in mainland Europe it works, in the UK it doesn't.

Others have posted replies from TomTom within the forum where they are said to be working on the issue. All this will need to rectify the problem is new software on the device. My 910 running version 6 software works in the UK, the 720 doesn't. Lets hope for a speedy end to the problem, like you say in Holland it even pops up the ASR box to answer Yes/ No to re-route or not, it should do that here in the UK to. - Mike
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahama41 wrote:
In Holland, got RDS-TMC lock throughout to Zierekzie. No problems encountered but this is where it gets interesting ....

I looked around the RDS-TMC map in Holland and saw several jams and they were ALL SHOWING THE DELAY DATA too. Yes, there were delays of 13 mins, 12 mins, 7 mins, 3 mins ..... all over the area I could see in Holland... If the TT720T works fine in Holland, could it be that the RDS-TMC data in the UK is the problem???

AndyVaughan kindly pointed me in the direction of your post. I'd just like to say thanks very much for the information and insight. I was wondering why people on the Dutch forums didn't seem to be reporting that delay calculation issue (at least not nearly to the extent as on here). I too had assumed that it was certain to have been entirely down to the TomTom software, an assumption that was steadily pushing me towards Garmin. However, knowing this I will definitely reconsider, especially since I'll mainly be using my new device in Holland.

Just out of curiosity, on how many other trips have you used your 720T TMC receiver without being able to get proper delay info? Was your time in Europe/Holland literally the only time when the traffic delay calculation was consistently working for you?
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

UK display of delay time, another much discussed topic - I have never yet seen this work correctly while using version 7 software of any issue yet released. Without correct delay information the device cannot offer a re-route to avoid the traffic incident because it is blind to the severity of each event. As you point out in mainland Europe it works, in the UK it doesn't.

I haven't used v7.x in Holland, but I use it on a regular basis in france, and find that the delay information problems are exactly the same as the UK.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
I used my 720 with navcore 7.48 in Holland a couple of weeks back and his was the first time I'd had an opportunity to use the TMC ariel since I bought it.

I got advice from TMC about my journey delays being increased and shortened on a pretty regular basis whilst driving from Groningen down to Rotterdam. I got options up on the screen to ask if I wanted to re-route my journey at least twice during the journey. Being a "non believer" in TMC from previous experiences with in built Citroen systems (C5 rentals) I didn't bother re-routing. The side bar showed the nearest delay to my position and the estimated length of delay (changing 15 mins down to 1 min) The total delay seemed to get added to the journey time too.

Since being back in the UK I've not really bothered with the TMC ariel but I'll see what happens next time I'm outside the UK somewhere.

I agree that the TT database of cameras was far more extensive in Holland but I did notice that some of their cameras were actually removed.

Cheers

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday i started to use the TMC module that i have (4V00.013) and on a round trip of over 200 miles it failed to get a signal, the circle stayed yellow the whole time. This was with my 910.
Today i have connected it up to my 720 running app 7.2.2.1 and have planned a route and sat it out the back yard for over half an hour still no signal.
What am i doing wrong? i know there are issues with traffic but is it really this bad?.
Can anyone offer any pointers, except binning it Laughing
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Go-Go 910, I have asked TomTom to take the lead back and credit me with two years of TomTom Plus Traffic. They haven't replied yet.
Stop!

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, Nice one. How do you rate your chances?
I have just tried tuning manually to all the classic FM frequencies down here but all i get is "no station found at 101.9" etc
By the time i get a signal the traffic will all have cleared.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: