Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
As I've said before, the colour of the incident matters not one bit to me - the way I see it, if the GO correctly tells me there's a delay en route, I'm not bothered what's causing it, just tell me how long it'll delay me, tell me it's an accident, lane closure, contraflow, fog, flood, whatever and that's nice, but I don't need all of those to be different colours. Just the one colour it's giving right now (grey) will do quite well enough to show where it is and the word Accident, length of affected road and length of time delay will make me happy as a pig in the proverbial. I need to get past, through, over or around it, not identify which emergency service to send along to fix it for them! I don't get colours from Radio 5 and I seriously wonder if TT have dropped the colour scheme like they have reduced fine details on maps.

I too have never seen delay times with 7.48x. I do get them with 7.221 RDS-TMC, but they're not accurate (spelled USELESS). I've now been three weeks trying to get a bit of free GPRS out of TT and it's now in status "Research".
Quote:
Dear DennisN,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

I can assure you, I am not making this up, I have consulted my supervisors and this is not our official policy. The cases you are referring to could have had some different circumstances to them or the customers made a good case for themselves otherwise. My colleagues you are referring to also had to get an approval for that. Unfortunately I cannot check any of this as there are no reference numbers.

I am in no way trying to ignore the problem you are having. I talked to our 2nd line and they told me to escalate this case to them. I will do that and they will get back to me with a possible approval.

Bear with us while we come up with a solution.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Firstly did you manage to get TomTom to give you a free traffic subscription after making reference to Dave, I'm still waiting for a reply on my case?

Tomorrow I'll try the the TMC functionallity using my 720 running the new NavCore 8 software to see if there's any improvements, I'll let you know how it goes.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Quote:
Dear DennisN,

I can assure you, I am not making this up, I have consulted my supervisors and this is not our official policy. The cases you are referring to could have had some different circumstances to them or the customers made a good case for themselves otherwise. My colleagues you are referring to also had to get an approval for that. Unfortunately I cannot check any of this as there are no reference numbers.

I am in no way trying to ignore the problem you are having. I talked to our 2nd line and they told me to escalate this case to them. I will do that and they will get back to me with a possible approval.

With Best Regards

Firstly did you manage to get TomTom to give you a free traffic subscription after making reference to Dave, I'm still waiting for a reply on my case?

Tomorrow I'll try the the TMC functionallity using my 720 running the new NavCore 8 software to see if there's any improvements, I'll let you know how it goes.
The reply above, "research status" was waiting when I came back tonight, so it's still ongoing.

I wouldn't set any store on NavCore 8 on a 720 - Presumably you've purloined it from somewhere as it's not yet been issued for x20s, so if you trash your device with it, there's nothing but tears in it for you!

Indeed, I think the people who've obtained a 930 (from Pixmania) will perhaps come to regret it - it's not even showing on TT's website for UK yet.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the screenshots Vicky posted it looks exactly the same as 7.48x as far as TMC is concerned.

Andy
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
As I've said before, the colour of the incident matters not one bit to me - the way I see it, if the GO correctly tells me there's a delay en route, I'm not bothered what's causing it, just tell me how long it'll delay me, tell me it's an accident, lane closure, contraflow, fog, flood, whatever and that's nice, but I don't need all of those to be different colours. Just the one colour it's giving right now (grey) will do quite well enough to show where it is and the word Accident, length of affected road and length of time delay will make me happy as a pig in the proverbial. I need to get past, through, over or around it, not identify which emergency service to send along to fix it for them! I don't get colours from Radio 5 and I seriously wonder if TT have dropped the colour scheme like they have reduced fine details on maps.

delay or no delay that is the question

i don't see the fascination some people have with colours

as i see it the key issue is how long you might be delayed along your route not a technicolour display for different causes

however if you receive inaccurate or no information then any system either monochrome or technicolour will be absolutely useless (or worse than useless if you heed any inaccurate warning)

besides who can remember what each different colour signifies anyway

i repeat delay or no delay that is the question

having said all this i would be quite happy to see a warning for some white van men and other morons on the road as alluded to in another thread
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right, the lack of delay info is the issue.

My point about the colours is simply that in 7.221 and previous they were there, in 7.48x they are not.

All I want is delay info as well (for RDS-TMC), the colours would be nice on top of that, whatever they mean!

Andy
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Quite right, the lack of delay info is the issue.

My point about the colours is simply that in 7.221 and previous they were there, in 7.48x they are not.

andy my comment was aimed at a post seen elsewhere where a list of colours was seen as a fully working requirement
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to play dumb for a moment (some may argue that I'm dumb all the time Wink) and ask a fairly basic question if I may.

Assuming for a moment that TT traffic works perfectly with both RDS-TMC and GPRS and we're all receiving 100% accurate information all of the time without any reception problems (oh yeah, and there goes a flying pig Wink)

OK, so if TT display delays associated with cause (accident, roadworks, weather), what would be displayed if:

1) a small incident resulting in slight damage to one or two vehicles, all on the hard shoulder, but delay is caused by rubberneckers

2) a multiple vehicle incident resulting in the carriageway being closed (possibly in both directions)

Now, then, both of these delays have been caused by accidents and, according to some members, ought to be displayed in the same colour for the same cause.

However, one incident will result in much greater delays and this colour scheme will therefore be meaningless.

If, therefore, the colour referred to whether there is a delay or perhaps delay length then this could possibly be far more informative than displaying the cause.

Also, if the colour scheme is representative of the cause, then what happens if there is an accident which results in lanes or the whole carriageway being closed and then roadworks to repair damaged road surface - does this display begin as the colour for an accident and then work through the rainbow until it finishes with the colour for roadworks taking place as a result of the initial accident?

edit - correction of typos
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean - so the colours for a progressive incident - Fog delay, followed by (make it easier, not combined with) accident, causing a fire, causing damage to the carriageway, followed by accident investigation, then carriageway repairs.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, given a little thought, there appears to be a little more to this than accident / roadworks / weather / lane closures

Unless I'm being totally stupid, there are different severities for each category, so a simple indication of 'accident' may not be all that useful - although a display of the delay severity would be far more informative.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far from stupid or dumb

your comments highlight the relevance of delay information over cause though some may disagree
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:
Quote:
Dear DennisN,

With Best Regards

The reply above, "research status" was waiting when I came back tonight, so it's still ongoing.

I wouldn't set any store on NavCore 8 on a 720 - Presumably you've purloined it from somewhere as it's not yet been issued for x20s, so if you trash your device with it, there's nothing but tears in it for you!

Indeed, I think the people who've obtained a 930 (from Pixmania) will perhaps come to regret it - it's not even showing on TT's website for UK yet.

Ok, regarding the V8 version it came directly from the TomTom site, and is working, I can't say anymore, my last post relating to this was removed.

Now for a TMC update, using V8 TMC functionallity has returned back to earlier versions. I live in a TMC black spot, now instead of it showing green, it correctly shows it searching. Diagnositic information is still not available, delay times not available, and I'm still trying to decide if the front status screen is now working correctly. The 'Read alound' option is disabled if there are no incidents on route.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

Ok, regarding the V8 version it came directly from the TomTom site, and is working, I can't say anymore

Where? How?

If it is actually on a publicly available part of their site (not a private link they've given to someone specific), then there should be no problem sharing the info.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the green circle behaviour is the same as 7.221?

I thought from other peoples descriptions it behaved as 7.48x?

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks. I thought I'd share this with you all - I asked TT yesterday if the lack of colours is a fault ....
Quote:
Response (Chris V. (UK)) 14/04/2008 12.35 PM
Dear DennisN,

This is not a known issue and will be passed to our second line support team for advice .

When they have updated the case we can get back to you .

With Best Regards

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer (DennisN) 13/04/2008 07.52 PM
Since I upgraded to application version 7.481, I no longer get colours associated with traffic incidents on RDS-TMC, the incident shows only as grey - previously, they showed different colours for different types of traffic problem, Red, Blue, Yellow etc, but now they are all only one colour, grey. (See attached picture).
Have you discontinued showing different colours for different types of traffic incident or is this a fault?

So perhaps we'll have an answer some time soon after they've looked into it. I'm a bit surprised - I could have sworn somebody has already taken it up with them?

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have, shadamehr has.

Typical first line response.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: