Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly 400 miles today, GO920T, map Western & Central Europe v710.1576, App 7.481 (9086/080324).

I got indication of good RDS-TMC signal all the time after it first acquired. I got two icons on the sidebar, but when I looked, there were four incidents - first two were showing, lane closures, last two were not showing on the sidebar, congestion. No indications of estimated delays; I didn't get voice notification of delay, just "traffic situation has changed" and I wasn't asked if I'd like to replan.

So for my money, it's still useless!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - we did warn you it was still useless.

Here are my screenshots from today - no delay info but the most I have ever seen on the sidebar with Navcore 7 and RDS-TMC.

I think that they are all the same type of incident has something to do with it.

The only other thing I can throw in to the mix is that I was using GRPS traffic yesterday, and this is the first switch on since then - these could be cached info from yesterday that haven't cleared? I don't know if the weather symbols for high wind and snow shown on the overview map are available via RDS-TMC?

Andy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just looked at my post above and noticed that most of the traffic incidents are coloured green?

DOH!

That is the route I had planned!

Andy
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week of using 7.481, about 900 miles, no delay times and when there have been 2 or more incidents on route, nothing at all on the traffic bar. Only when there is one incident does anything appear. TT got back to me promptly saying they are working on an update due very soon. Whether that fixes multiple display and/or delay time problems, don't know.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't know if the weather symbols for high wind and snow shown on the overview map are available via RDS-TMC?

They are in France. Related to this, I'm coming to the fealing that multiple indications in the side bar relate to dot matrix signs on the motorway, i.e. if the dot matrix signs are showing an incident, the side bar does. It can't be ITIS because I first noticed this in France. I've no proof or evidence, it's just an impression I'm getting. If I'm right, I wonder if TT delays are somehow connected to the distance between signs? My record delay, something like 17 hours, occured when the dot matrix signs where showing high winds continuously almost half the way to Paris one night.

Malcolm
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
I'm coming to the fealing that multiple indications in the side bar relate to dot matrix signs on the motorway, i.e. if the dot matrix signs are showing an incident, the side bar does.
Logically then, with nothing on the dot matrix, there should be no side bar indications - on all the occasions I've had motorway side bar icons, there have never been any dot matrix messages. This theory doesn't work for side bar icons not on motorways - I had two incidents showing yesterday in south central London (Woolwich).

emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
emjaiuk wrote:
I'm coming to the fealing that multiple indications in the side bar relate to dot matrix signs on the motorway, i.e. if the dot matrix signs are showing an incident, the side bar does.
Logically then, with nothing on the dot matrix, there should be no side bar indications - on all the occasions I've had motorway side bar icons, there have never been any dot matrix messages. This theory doesn't work for side bar icons not on motorways - I had two incidents showing yesterday in south central London (Woolwich).

Another theory gone then Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Don't worry - I have just formulated a new, untested theory .....

It's TomTom's fault, they've got it wrong. Anybody got anything to disprove this one? Twisted Evil

emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
emjaiuk wrote:

It's TomTom's fault, they've got it wrong. Anybody got anything to disprove this one? Twisted Evil

Many a true word!!! it's probably just a coincidence that TMC is getting worse when TT are about to try and sell everybody a subscription service!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
DennisN wrote:
emjaiuk wrote:

Many a true word!!! it's probably just a coincidence that TMC is getting worse when TT are about to try and sell everybody a subscription service!

Where is the grassy knoll?? Gun Shoot Out
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
emjaiuk wrote:

only TT would disagree - in their opinion it is user error / poor reception / ITIS / aliens that are the problem, it cannot possibly be their software as that is tested extensively and bug free when released .........
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a "useful" (??) titbit Andy. I went "up north" yesterday and GO920T App 7.481 told me of traffic on the M1 between J26 and J27 - at first merely lane closures (or narrow lanes), then later an accident, no delay information, of course. When we stopped at Tamworth services on the M42 I decided to play.

So I swapped the RDS-TMC to the GO720, App 7.221, which then gave me delay of 103 minutes. Without voice selected, it therefore adjusted my ETA by 103 minutes.

So I swapped it all back to the 920, which again only told me of an incident, no delay info.

In the meantime, the (now disconnected) 720 retained the delay info and continued to show a 103 minutes later ETA! I had switched off both devices between every set of swapping, so they were still retaining the route. When I re-navigated to my destination, the 720 (without RDS-TMC) reverted to original ETA.

You've done comparison tests with RDS-TMC and GPRS, so I wonder whether those might have been affected by the route retention feature?

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wondered about the delay retention.

I agree with you, if you recalculate your route it seems to clear the retained traffic info.

When I did the comparisons I did the RDS-TMC first, then the GPRS. I didn't clear routes in between, but the GPRS seems to have added delay info OK.

I still haven't seen any delay times at all using 7.48x with RDS-TMC, but have with GPRS.

The only problem with GPRS and 7.48x is the classifying of the incident by colour.

I am waiting for the next update as hopefully this will fix it - from the post Vicky made it looks likr the same problem exists in Navcore 8 as well, so TT have some incentive to fix it or they will be knowingly launching a faulty product - not a clever idea! - But it hasn't stopped them before as I made them aware of the 1 minute delay issue before the 920 launched.

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said before, the colour of the incident matters not one bit to me - the way I see it, if the GO correctly tells me there's a delay en route, I'm not bothered what's causing it, just tell me how long it'll delay me, tell me it's an accident, lane closure, contraflow, fog, flood, whatever and that's nice, but I don't need all of those to be different colours. Just the one colour it's giving right now (grey) will do quite well enough to show where it is and the word Accident, length of affected road and length of time delay will make me happy as a pig in the proverbial. I need to get past, through, over or around it, not identify which emergency service to send along to fix it for them! I don't get colours from Radio 5 and I seriously wonder if TT have dropped the colour scheme like they have reduced fine details on maps.

I too have never seen delay times with 7.48x. I do get them with 7.221 RDS-TMC, but they're not accurate (spelled USELESS). I've now been three weeks trying to get a bit of free GPRS out of TT and it's now in status "Research".
Quote:
Dear DennisN,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

I can assure you, I am not making this up, I have consulted my supervisors and this is not our official policy. The cases you are referring to could have had some different circumstances to them or the customers made a good case for themselves otherwise. My colleagues you are referring to also had to get an approval for that. Unfortunately I cannot check any of this as there are no reference numbers.

I am in no way trying to ignore the problem you are having. I talked to our 2nd line and they told me to escalate this case to them. I will do that and they will get back to me with a possible approval.

Bear with us while we come up with a solution.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Did you get permission to come into London and did they check your passport on the way in and your van for some of the gold off our streets before you went back Laughing

theripper

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: