Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbrace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: This has to be the best response so far Reply with quote

I think this must take the prize for the best and most irrelevant response so far from TomTom.

My final message after a number of exchanges:
------------------------------------------------------------
I am disappointed that I have not received a detailed response from your second line support team.

I am also extremely unhappy that I have purchased a 720T in the last month, spending an additional £60 over the 720, based on your advertising and claims that clearly represent a serious misrepresentation of the products capabilities.

It is advertised as showing the traffic delay on the traffic bar and being able to find you alternative routes. This is clearly not the case and, from the information I have seen in various forums, has never been. How you can therefore market this product as having these capabilities?

The main problem (with 7.221) are:

1.The traffic receiver is very poor. It will only occasionally pick up traffic signals even when I am in an area that I know has good reception. It is clearly in need of redesign and should not be on the market.
2.When signals are received the data regrading the delay times is, the be honest, ridiculous! I assume it is calculated on some kind of algorithm that is clearly inappropriate. On some occasions showing delays of over an hour when it is only a few minutes.
3.The delay time does not appear in the traffic bar, as advertised. When a time does appear it is never more than 1 minute no matter what the delay is shown in the detailed view and not all delays appear on the bar.
4.The blue tooth hands free occasionally “hangs” so it rings but no voice is heard either end. To resolve this when I try and switch the unit off, it will not, and eventually reboots.
5.The unit keeps corrupting the gnsdata file.

On on updating to 7.481:

1.All colour coding of delays are lost and no time delay information is present anywhere in the system.
2.As there is no time delay the system refuses to calculate an alternate route.
3.The useful information regarding the station you are tuned to has dissapeared.
4.No information is provided when the system is looking for a station (you do not know it is not tuned in). I.e. The yellow circle no longer appears.
5.Once it has found a signal and the green circle appears, it never changes back, even if a signal was found for a few seconds and no traffic data downloaded.
6.Items have been removed, or lost from the traffic and setup menu with no advice to the user that you have changed the interface.
7.4 and 5 of 7.221 still happen

Clearly your software is very buggy and is not properly tested before release and why do you not provide your users with full details of the changes made?

The unit and software does not perform as advertised - please advise me when you are going to fix this.

I look forward to hearing what you propose to compensate me for the time I have wasted in updating this system time and time again and for the money I have wasted.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Response (only received after 10 days and a reminder update to the log):

First of all I do not know how the product is advertised in the UK as I am based in the Netherlands. However on the Traffic bar the delay for the specific incident (congestion) should be shown. However this is also reliant on the map data that is available.

The traffic receiver should not be affected by version 7.221. The TMC receiver you got with your Go 720T is a redesigned receiver that has passed all the tests. We have not had any complaints (bar your complaint) since releasing this version of the antenna.

As explained earlier in the e-mail, the delay times are also reliant on the map data supplied. Also it is reliant on the information provided through the frequency. These are all factors that can result in some information not being as expected.

The delay time is for the specific traffic incident, therefore it may well be less than a minute. This should however vary.

Concerning the bluetooth we are unable to provide you with an answer as you have not supplied us with the make and model of the mobile phone.

With all software based products you will have updates. This is the nature of these products. We provide these updates for free so that your device is continually provided with the latest and most efficient system available. You will find no difference with any other make GPS device. These will all also come with their occassional updates.

If you are really having all these issues consistently this will not be due to the application installed but most likely due to a faulty RDS-TMC antenna. We can arrange a repair for you to have this replaced.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic...

What a total d*rk that CS rep must be - most of TT staff for that matter, given my own experiences in just three short months *Laughing Out Loud*
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the responce i got! they admit there is a issue! TT seem to be lying! Cut and paste them my reply see what they say!
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
Look at the responce i got! they admit there is a issue! TT seem to be lying! Cut and paste them my reply see what they say!

And if you are the first person to complain about this, then why did they give me a 1 year FREE GPRS subscription for the same problems ?????????
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some you might be interested in the new RDS device announced yesterday in This Thread - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Perhaps some you might be interested in the new RDS device announced yesterday in This Thread - Mike

And you accused me of rubbing it in when Halfords dropped the price of the LG head unit you had just bought Laughing

The new receiver looks like an improvement - we just needed a working version of Navcore 7 (or preferrably 8) for the x20s in the near future.

Andy
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

The new receiver looks like an improvement - we just needed a working version of Navcore 7 (or preferrably 8) for the x20s in the near future.

Andy

Don't forget some of us are still using x10s Laughing
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you can use 6.525 and TMC works with that!!!!!

Andy
pbrace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlak wrote:
mikewall wrote:

And if you are the first person to complain about this, then why did they give me a 1 year FREE GPRS subscription for the same problems ?????????

When did they do this. Do you have what they said when they agreed to this that I could quote?
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

Andy

I think I might just do that. Can anyone refresh my memory, when did TT introduce the option to move the blue data panel to the side?

It goes against the grain not to use the latest maps I've paid for though! I think I'm going to join the growing band that makes sure any new version/ maps (a) does what it says on the tin, and (b) is worth the cost, before I pay TT anymore money!
pbrace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem. On my TomTom 720T it appears that the RDS-TMC works (i.e. picks up a signal) and connects in areas close to transmitters when I do not have it connect to power in the car. However as soon as I plug in the power lead it looses signal and ceases to work altogether. Does this happen to anyone else?
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbrace wrote:
karlak wrote:
mikewall wrote:

When did they do this. Do you have what they said when they agreed to this that I could quote?

I got given this at the end of February. I just kept on at them, showing examples of poor Traffic performance. I think it was when I insisted on some sort of ref: no. so that I could take it back to the dealer for a full refund that I was offered the freebie - They first tried to give me the cameras for free Laughing yeh right, but I got the free GPRS Traffic instead.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another test of RDS-TMC being useless! yesterday came back from Minehead to Banbury had my 720 my old Navman and a Garmin running side by side! Dash was a right mess with wires anyway results i left minehead at 11am all units reported M5 delays in Bristol area 3 main areas Avonmouth, Cribbs Causeway, and M5/M4 intersection! garmin said 46mins delay Navman 49mins TT 0mins O2 traffic line (TMC) 1hr! Garmin offered no better route, Navman did offer a route but saving was just 8 mins TT didn't reroute even trying to force it to! Actual delay was about 25mins not bad for that area on Bank holiday!

I am aware that any sat nav would find an effective alternative route hard in this area! But this test was not about rerouting more about delay reporting!

Will phone TT later to report this if there back from there LONG weekend break! (started wednesday) as i was told to phone them wednesday last week but awnser phone just said closed for bank holiday! Report any news later Laughing Out Loud if any!
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

Andy

Anyone know how to get hold of 6.525 since, having upgraded to whatever it is now, I of course have not got 6.525 to go back to!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="beaconlegal]
Anyone know how to get hold of 6.525 ...[/quote]

http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: