Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - When does TT normally release new Maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

When does TT normally release new Maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane-1970
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: When does TT normally release new Maps? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just wondering as I'm still using V6.60 Maps for GB & Western Europe, when I was reading the discussion on here about is it worth upgrading to V6.75 most said there wasn't any point, so i didn't bother.

So now that I'm off to London next week and the following month off to Boekel in Holland and Nurburgring in Germany I was just wondering when does TT release their new / latest Maps?

At the moment its still saying V6.75 and for both Western Europe and GB which would set me back £100!

Thanks all in advance,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still rate the v660 map as the last "best" map they released, subsequent maps have had small amounts of information removed from them in order to fit the data on certain sizes of memory card. The missing information can be postcode related, road names or even house numbers.
What the v675 would give you is the congestion charge zone correctly and a few new roads, oh and the ability to partake/ use the MapShare system.

What I don't understand is why you need both Western Europe and separate UK maps, you only need Western Europe as this map contains full UK - Mike
Shane-1970
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

The Congestion Charge I always pay for up front so not really too important to be honest.

I'll stick with V6.60 until they release and new one and it gets the tthumbs up from PGPSW Wink

Must admit can't remember how I come to get both maps on? Embarassed

Does having the larger map on affect the speed of the device?
I sure it also limits you to the amount of POI's as well.

Can you clarify that,

Thanks again Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limit in terms of POI categories is dependent upon software, vs6 software was 100 custom categories, vs 7 software was upto 300 custom categories depending upon the hardware you were using.

The is a slight advantage for route planning when using just a UK map vs Western and Central Europe map, but this difference isn't worth paying an extra £40 for!

Since v660 there has been v675, v705, v710 and the latest v715 so your map is getting a tad old, but if you don't notice where it is wrong too often there is little point in changing it - Mike
Shane-1970
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks Mike.

According to TT, the only version available is v6.75.
I don't think TT Share Map thingy is compatible with TT Nav 6 on PPC from what I read of their site, so correct me if I'm mistaken...Wont be the first time Wink
So for now I'll stick with v6.60.

I'll try keeping Western Europe Maps on and see how I get on with the speed, i certainly don't have 100 POI's loaded anyway, even on GB.

Plus I'll be upgrading my phone soon, I'm going back to the Nokia Communicator, this time the E90 as opposed to the old 9500, but I'll still keep the XDA Exec with TTN6 on purely for that reason.

Thanks again Mike for your help, greatly appreciated. Not Worthy
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears at present that 6.75 is the last map for Navigator 6. With the standalone units (One, Go etc), maps and software have gone through version 7 and version 8 is out on new devices quite soon.

If you are going to be using two devices anyway, it may be time to think about getting a PND with the latest maps etc rather than using the XDA for navigating only.
Brodit ProClip mount
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a personal experience I find that the best map for being uptodate is the Western Europe v675 build 1322 (Navteq) which is more uptodate in the UK than the Uk and Ie v675 build 1409, it is difficult to prove overall but certainly in my area, I have both versions loaded but only use mainly Uk and IE because it is supposed to be the latest, but switch to WE where I know it is more uptodate.
I am not aware of any V675 using Mapshare nor V7 AND 8 being available for anyother units than TomToms PND,s

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: