Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is Lifetime subscription a scam?!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Lifetime subscription a scam?!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shparas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Is Lifetime subscription a scam?!! Reply with quote

Camera numbers SPECS:50378@40, Heading:100 and SPECS:50377@70, Heading:290
Recently there has been built a several SPECS cameras. Due to road works speed l. 40MPH.
Details of FREE Subscriptions:
The first person to ACCURATELY report a new fixed site.
I live in N.W. London and I am driving every through that place to work in E. London. If not the first so i must be one of the firsts ones who spotted those cameras because it was 6.30am. Anyway i reported correct location and later on speed of those free cams sitting on ONE BEAM. All three line up at cross line next to this unveryfied cam loc. pSPECS:50383@40. But somebody "sees" diffrently and puts onto map the above locations (SPECS:50378@40, Heading:100 and SPECS:50377@70, Heading:290) this way giving all the credits for NOT ACCURATELY reported position.

CONCLUSION.

Sumarizing the facts i made a desicion do not waste my time for nothing.
Thank you for your time
Sorry for any misspelling mistakes.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lifetime membership is a scam if you don't meet the qualifying criteria.

However, if you're first to report a camera and meet the necessary criteria, then you WILL receive your lifetime membership.

I achieved lifetime membership on about the third camera which I reported - hence, it IS possible.

The system is fair and equally applied to everybody - there is NO scam
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If not the first so i must be one of the firsts ones who spotted those cameras because it was 6.30am.

One of the first isn't good enough, you must be a Subscriber, be the first to report and the camera/s verified.

Probably spotted by a railway worker on the way home in the early hours or one on the way to work for a 04:00 start.

Quote:
Sumarizing the facts i made a desicion do not waste my time for nothing.
Thank you for your time
Sorry for any misspelling mistakes.
How to make friends and influence people. Thumbs Up Joker
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I think I missed part of the point being made.

Provided that you ARE the first to report a camera's location, there will be a certain degree of tolerance in the position due to the accuracy of the GPS you're using and the map when you're submitting.

As far as I'm aware, the speed limit AND location are verified for FIXED cameras - suitability of mobile sites is verified and then further submissions are required as part of the verification process.

If you submit a camera and then subsequently realise that you gave the wrong speed limit and/or heading (or even if the speed limit itself changes), then simply submit an additional report giving the correct details.

MaFt, who processes each and every submission, has a mega huge database where he notes date, time, member ID, camera ID and a host of other details - so he knows exactly who was first and when the first submission was reported.

In fact, MaFt knows so much about each submission that he can almost tell you what clothes you were wearing when you saw the camera Wink

Alas, there are so many members, that it's always possible that somebody else beat you to it - especially when the installation teams themselves often report camera locations and you can't get to know about an ACTIVE site much before the people who are installing the camera.

My philosophy is that the lifetime membership should be viewed more like the lottery - I was lucky, but when I wasn't, it didn't stop me submitting...just like people don't stop buying lottery tickets simply because they don't win the jackpot. Also, when people don't win the jackpot, they don't go knocking on Camelot's door complaining

So relax and keep trying - one day, it could be you
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bunch of asterisks!!

I "waste my time" just about every day - another three cameras today. I got my free lifetime membership two years ago and STILL I "waste my time" every day. Most of my "wasting of my time" is spent verifying cameras these days. And whilst doing it, I generally "waste my own money" too. Why? So that people like you can have the benefit of the cameras I report, so that I can have the benefit of cameras other Members report. Are they any benefit to you? And don't tell me you pay for them - you don't pay me a brass washer, you don't pay any other Members, Verifiers or Moderators a brass washer. Evil or Very Mad

Last week, I wasted 20 miles of time and fuel to "verify" a mobile camera site in this farm entrance.

By all means, don't waste your time. But don't waste ours reading your grumbles either. And you'll still be welcome to use the database for as long as you are a subscribed member!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i could understand of the order of the submissions:

1) initial submissions came in at 70mph as the cameras were up but no roadworks - one of our verifiers even mentioned their presence to me with a comment of '70mph as no road works (yet)'

2) 2nd wave of submissions came in stating correct speed to be 40mph as roadworks now started

1st correct submissions will be given lifetime subscription shortly after tomorrows release. i can confirm, shparas, that one of those is yours. unless you don't want it now?

i'm not 100% sure what the issue is/was? until cameras are released in an actual database they are still 'work in progress' - we only provide the live snapshot to give an idea of what we have so far before release. so even though a camera said 70mph, until it is finalised at release then nothing is set in stone.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps - as a side issue you may be interested to know that you actually 'qualified' 3 times already for a lifetime subscription but were let down nby not being a subscriber.

lucky you joined this time really ;)

MaFt
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is quite transparent ie you report a camera if you were the first to do so when you look at the camera submissions page it will show on there ( you will be the only person to see it on the map if you were the first person to report it.)
Your report will show as a square box with a cross in it !! so if you do not see a box with a cross in it where the camera was you are not the first person to have spotted the new camera???

I am not sure if I am correct on this perhaps someone will confirm if this is correct but from reading the red statement on the submissions page that is how I interpreted it
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And john877 is spot on correct.

wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You bunch of asterisks!!

I "waste my time" just about every day - another three cameras today. I got my free lifetime membership two years ago and STILL I "waste my time" every day. Most of my "wasting of my time" is spent verifying cameras these days. And whilst doing it, I generally "waste my own money" too. Why? So that people like you can have the benefit of the cameras I report, so that I can have the benefit of cameras other Members report. Are they any benefit to you? And don't tell me you pay for them - you don't pay me a brass washer, you don't pay any other Members, Verifiers or Moderators a brass washer. Evil or Very Mad

Last week, I wasted 20 miles of time and fuel to "verify" a mobile camera site in this farm entrance.

By all means, don't waste your time. But don't waste ours reading your grumbles either. And you'll still be welcome to use the database for as long as you are a subscribed member!

Nice picture DennisN is it a spot the camera picture sorry couldn't resit it. Keep up the good work some of us appreciate the work you and your fellow verifiers do Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must apologise for being heavy handed here and I'll add that we rarely take photos - I simply couldn't resist this one!

But on a serious note, it demonstrates how valuable the Comments box is on the submission form, when it's completed with meaningful details. OK, in this case it helped me turn it down. But it did so quickly, no need to scratch my head, or look for a farm entrance 100 yards along the way. Nor would there have been much hesitation if there really had been a farm entrance there. It shows up the difference between good and poor comments "I see this mobile almost every Wednesday" is pretty meaningless, "I see this mobile almost every Wednesday afternoon, (half day closing), in the layby outside the Happy Codswallop fish and chip shop" is magic.

tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he dont want it give it to the next person on the list Laughing

I just got a E-mail saying my subscription will expire on Mon Mar 12 2029
so its not a scam at all mind you i have reported more than one and its takeing me over a year to get mine so its just luck if you report it before any one else if your just after lifetime then dont bother
Any way this is the cheepest and best i have ever used
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonys66 wrote:

And THAT'S only because MaFt can't count higher than 20 Smile

If you last that long, they'll add another 20.... and another.... and another....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
tonys66 wrote:

And THAT'S only because MaFt can't count higher than 20 Smile

OI!!! cheeky monkey....!!!!

database time works in milliseconds so 20 years (in milliseconds is actually a pretty big number to handle!

MaFt
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy who complains wants a serious chat by the mods. All of the verifiers and team go out of their way and use their own time and money to check locations. A lot of the time there is nothing there, but sometimes you do see something new. I got my lifetime sub from reporting a SPECS cameras location that was incorrect.

If the location is right and the comments support the location, there is no problem in accepting your submission. Just please dont whine and whinge that you have not got your lifetime sub yet. If you are the first, you will get it!

/end of rant/

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: