Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SOS from Canada! TT 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SOS from Canada! TT 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: SOS from Canada! TT 910 Reply with quote

Well - via Glasgow anyway! Smile

My father in law has just called from Toronto Canada, and says that his TomTom is not picking up a signal there. He says he has changed the preference settings from Europe to North America as i told him to, but he says that the unit has not found a satellite signal and not picking him up. I asked him how long he left it for and rekons about 20 minutes to 30 minutes which i would rekon is more than enough.

Can anyone help shed any light on this,as he's planning to drive across part of Canada and really could do with having the unit working for it.

Thanks

AstroBhoy
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS from Canada! TT 910 Reply with quote

astrobhoy wrote:

My father in law has just called from Toronto Canada, and says that his TomTom is not picking up a signal there. He says he has changed the preference settings from Europe to North America as i told him to, but he says that the unit has not found a satellite signal and not picking him up. I asked him how long he left it for and rekons about 20 minutes to 30 minutes which i would rekon is more than enough.

Can anyone help shed any light on this,as he's planning to drive across part of Canada and really could do with having the unit working for it.

Thanks

AstroBhoy

Patience or athermic windscreen?
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: SOS from Canada! TT 910 Reply with quote

franb wrote:
astrobhoy wrote:

Thanks

AstroBhoy

Patience or athermic windscreen?

Well i don't know. Just called him again, and told him to switch it back to Europe, and then switch off - Startup again; and then switch preferences to North America again. Make sure he is standing outside, and well - just wait!! I'll mention about the windscreen thing as that never occurred to me. In the meantime if you have any other suggestions please fire them over. I'll post up if he becomes successful!

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he tried a reset using the button next to the power connection strip under the device? - this can often cure strange goings on - Mike
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Has he tried a reset using the button next to the power connection strip under the device? - this can often cure strange goings on - Mike

No mike, but if he doesn't have any success, i'll certainly recommend that he tries that as a last resort. I've done the reset myself on his unit after I borrowed it and it died on me (got all sorts of looks when i sheepishly handed it back not working!) but managed to fix it doing that before

Good suggestion - thanks
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have him leave the unit on and near a window for an hour. Trust me, we DO get the satellite signals here. Smile
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a last resort, try deleting the data in the "ephemeris" folder.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth checking if it can see the satellites but just hasn't got a lock yet. Tap the status bar area where the distances/sat strength bar is to get the status summary page. Then tap the big bar on the side (battery/no of satellites).

On this page, are any of the bar at the bottom grey at all? If so, at least it can see the satellites (they will need to be near the line near the top). If this is the case, leaving it for some time should provide enough data to lock to the signals.

If the signal strength is too low, he may need to move to a better position (outside with minimal high buildings around - basically a good clear view of the sky).
Brodit ProClip mount
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks DHN toneloc and Gerry. He's out and about just now, so will no doubt call me in the wee small hours of the morning to find out if i've managed to find a way of fixing it for him! Laughing

Should hopefully get a fix through that lot of suggestions.

thanks
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:

where is that folder then, and can he do without linking to a PC?

Any chance you could give me instructions how to do this if just going through the menu's on screen?

cheers
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrobhoy wrote:
thanks DHN toneloc and Gerry. He's out and about just now, so will no doubt call me in the wee small hours of the morning to find out if i've managed to find a way of fixing it for him! Laughing

Should hopefully get a fix through that lot of suggestions.

thanks

Once he gets things sorted, do you think he'll need the preference setting to remind hiim to drive on the RIGHT? Laughing Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrobhoy wrote:
Toneloc427 wrote:

where is that folder then, and can he do without linking to a PC?

Any chance you could give me instructions how to do this if just going through the menu's on screen?

cheers

It's onthe Tom tom main ("root") directory.
It can't be deleted via the menus, he will need to connect to a PC (any PC will do (cyber cafe?)) and delete the contents using Windows Explorer.

However, you said he could try a reset "as a last resort". Don't... A reset should be his FIRST resort, it's only like properly switching it off and on again (the "power" switch only puts it into a "sleep" mode). None of your personal settings are lost.

A reset cured the exact same problem when I was in Spain a couple of weeks ago.
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well folks - looks like patience eventually paid off. He said that he was driving down the road, and all of a sudden the Tom Tom voice spriung into action!! (probably saying something like "your on the wrong side of the road you stupid Censored ") Laughing

Anyways, thanks for all the help and advice on his behalf - the forum really came to my help when we first tested his sat nat in Florida last year and i hadn't changed the settings! Rolling Eyes

cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: