Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Firmware version 7.481
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Firmware version 7.481
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that warning twice for the same location, or have you got cameras listed twice for slightly different locations?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice for the same location - that's not so bad for the (two) correct cameras, but with an extra dozen false ones yesterday, it does get on your nerves a bit!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lfbullitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, can I ask a total novices question?

I plugged my TT 520 into my computer on the TT home page the other day and it said that a new version is available to up grade, im sure it was the one mentioned ion the above posts!!
However, to do the upgrade it said that there wasnt enough space on my 520 and that I had to delete some stuff that was already on there and gave a list of some maps, voices, POI etc and their value in GB`s

Now im a complete computer novice so Im worried that if I just go ahead and delete the items that it showed on the list and then uploaded the new software, will it replace / update what I have deleted??

Im just worried that I may be deleting something that I wont be able to replace and render my unit un-usable!!

Any points or info most welcome.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware and take it slowly.
The Home software is not being intelligent, it is just giving you a list of what is on there, not what it is SAFE to delete. That is up to you to decide.

You can safely assume that the SOFTWARE update will NOT replace anything you remove. Home will allow you to re-download some things but not others - your MAP being the most important thing. Delete that and its £40 for a new one.

The first thing I would say is "well done" for stopping at this point and taking time out to think!

If it is offering you v7.481 software, there is a body of opinion that you should NOT update to this yet (and judging by some of the replies from their service reps, that includes TomTom themselves! But for reasons only known to them, they haven't removed it from the automatic download).

However, if you really want to do it, or in readiness for a future update....

Maps - If you've got an un-tweaked Go520, it will only have one map (of the UK). Do you want a sat nav with no map? No... so don't delete it.

Voices - Do you always use the same voice, and never intend to change? If so, then go ahead and delete the others, especially the foreign language ones if they are there.

POIs - the only ones you can delete individually are any of your own that you've added yourself. If you need them, keep them. If you just added a load that you found and don't actually use them, dump them. The built-in POIs are all stored in a single file, so if you delete that file, they ALL go.

There will be a few short demos of songs and audiobooks on there, which you can safely get rid of.

That's about all there is you can trim.

But before you do ANYTHING, please, please, make sure you have done a full backup, using Windows Explorer, not Home.
And get into the habit of making another new one before you update or change ANYTHING.

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, to ifbullitt, I concur with Andy when he says well done for you to check in here BEFORE blindly rushing into doing things without realizing the ramifications of doing so. To you, I offer this: Clap

And never be afraid to come here and ask any questions you may have. If TomTom themselves knew as much about their products as some users here do, there wouldn't be a need for (help) forums like this. Serious! Razz

To Andy, well done mate (again) for jumping in so quickly to give a clear, concise response to an important question. You get one, too Not Worthy
lfbullitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHN and Andy, many thanks for such prompt replies...after thinking about it I will take your advice and leave well alone.

Im happy with the way my unit is working so im not going to mess with it.

Many thanks once again, its nice to get some direct and honest info!!

Cheers, bullitt.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?", as my granny always said...
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Yep - turn off the TT ones, I think they are only there for entertainment. There is no way they are there to warn you of cameras!

Andy

You're certainly right about that Andy. The PGPSW camera database is a little behind in some other European countries so don't make the same mistake I made last week if you're planning a trip to the Netherlands !! I forgot to enable the TT cameras and only realised after driving for a few hours that no cameras had been spotted Shocked . Don't think there's a way of automatically enabling the TT cameras when outside the UK Question

Cheers

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: