Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - best GPS manufacturer for traffic updates?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

best GPS manufacturer for traffic updates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: best GPS manufacturer for traffic updates? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been browsing a bit on the forum, clearly a very useful resource. I've already learned a lot, especially about TomTom's ongoing traffic update problems!

Anyway, I am hoping some of you can help me. I'm essentially looking for a mid-range GPS with at least decent TMC traffic capability. Initially I was almost certain to go for a TomTom 720T since it meets my requirements in nearly all other criteria, but then after browsing this forum I became horrified at the huge problems TomTom continues to encounter in getting a usable TMC traffic service going! First the antenna reception problem (for months) and now the completely nonsensical traffic delay calculations (seemingly also for quite some time)?

Since having traffic updates is quite a major factor for me, are there any GPS manufacturers that clearly stand above the rest in terms of offering a decent TMC traffic service? Or are they all about as bad as each other? I'm aware of TomTom's HD Traffic service but would rather have something that works through most of Europe for now... if I went for the 720T I could always buy the HD receiver separately later.

I've seen some interesting-looking Garmin models although many of them seem to date from 2006 or earlier which I therefore shy away from since the hardware is clearly getting rather old by now? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, all help much appreciated! Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the RDS-TMC devices suffer from poor reception, I still think the Navman T1 unit was the best thought out receiver due to the external aerial connector the device was fitted with.

The TomTom solution is the best in terms of user interface and the method of delivery options available to the owner, GPRS, HD (when available) and RDS-TMC. Currently the RDS-TMC option doesn't work very well in the UK, but GPRS derived TMC is fine, this will hopefully be resolved by software update soon. Where do you actually want this device to work, mainland Europe or UK? - Mike
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I'm in the Netherlands atm and while it's most important for TMC to work here I would also be travelling to neighboring countries and even possibly the UK so would like to have TMC there too. In fact that was why initially I was thinking to hold off on HD traffic since I believe it currently only works in the Netherlands. Also I read somewhere in these forums that if you buy the HD traffic receiver separately you also get a free map upgrade?

Then again, I'm now having my doubts reading all these complaints about TMC so maybe HD traffic is the answer. Alas I am not aware of any comprehensive reviews of how well HD traffic is currently working here. Also, as I perceive it TomTom has major problems with actually processing the raw TMC data (e.g. the farcical 1 min or 150+ min delay calculations) - is this likely to also be the case for HD traffic?

As for Garmin, Navman et al, do they suffer from similar wildly inaccurate estimates? I read that Garmin TMC reception is non-existent in parts of the UK although I also get the impression that given correct TMC data the units are actually able to come up with usable delay estimates? I would be willing to sacrifice a fair bit of usability in exchange for a workable traffic service.

Anyway, thanks again and well done on a great site!
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I finally managed to find some fairly comprehensive practical field trials with HD Traffic in NL on a Dutch forum, all very recent (first few weeks of April 2008). Overall the reviews are mixed, but it's certainly better than the TMC and I found no hint of the incorrect delay calculation that is plaguing many of TomTom's TMC receivers.

To be honest I am now swinging more and more in favor of the Garmin 760T, guess I'd better post in the Garmin forum. The jerky animation (when compared to TT devices) is quite a put-off but I can't ignore what appears to be a considerably superior traffic functionality...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: