Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new extras data found on card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new extras data found on card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsharrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: new extras data found on card Reply with quote

Help please- on Nuvi 200 I have just loaded the uk and france map onto my sd card and found my speed cameras (which were installed on garmin memory) were not pinging
so I reloaded speed cameras and my poi's onto the sd card, speed cameras are now pinging ok - but I get the message when turning on 'new extras data found on card would you like to install so it will be available if card removed' how can I get rid of this message ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way is to load the POIs onto the units internal memory using POILoader or by saying yes, then deleteing them from the SD Card.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: new extras data found on card Reply with quote

rsharrock wrote:
Help please- on Nuvi 200 I have just loaded the uk and france map onto my sd card and found my speed cameras (which were installed on garmin memory) were not pinging
so I reloaded speed cameras and my poi's onto the sd card, speed cameras are now pinging ok - but I get the message when turning on 'new extras data found on card would you like to install so it will be available if card removed' how can I get rid of this message ?

On most units, when you say "Yes" to installing, it actually takes you to another menu, where you select each individual .GPI file. At this point, you can say "Skip this file" and "Don't ask me again".

However, I don't understand your original problem. Maps and Custom POIs (with or without Alerts) are totally unrelated to oneanother...
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The only way is to load the POIs onto the units internal memory using POILoader or by saying yes, then deleteing them from the SD Card.

No, NO, NO!!

DO NOT LOAD THE POI's ONTO THE 200. The message is two part on my 660. The first part says that new data has been found and you acknowledge that with a YES. The second part asks if you want to make the data available all the time (ie if you remove the SD card). Answer that one NO and tick the box to remember this answer. Then it won't ask again until you load new POI's.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, NO, NO!!

DO NOT LOAD THE POI's ONTO THE 200. The message is two part on my 660. The first part says that new data has been found and you acknowledge that with a YES. The second part asks if you want to make the data available all the time (ie if you remove the SD card). Answer that one NO and tick the box to remember this answer. Then it won't ask again until you load new POI's.

OK, OK, OK!! Wink

I assumed rsharrock wanted the POIs on the internal memory again as they were before and was just using the SD card to transfer them to the internal memory. Any advantage (other than space which rsharrock didn't cite as a problem) of keeping them on the card?

I did try keeping them on the card once but didn't realise one day I'd clicked the card out whilst mounting the unit in the car and wondered why i wasn't getting my POIs and Camera Alerts. After that i just keep them on the Internal memory.
rsharrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: maps and poi's on sd card Reply with quote

Many thanks for your replies – nuvi space was a problem this is why I have all on card -
I had to put the maps onto the sd card because there wasn’t enough space on nuvi to have uk and france - my cameras and poi’s were then on the nuvi but the cameras were not pinging on approaching them, - so that’s why I tried loading the cameras and poi’s onto the sd card which then I found out would ping ok. I didn’t realize the message I get was 2 part thanks for info.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PaulB2005"]
Quote:

Any advantage (other than space which rsharrock didn't cite as a problem) of keeping them on the card?

Sorry Sorry Sorry, neighbour! Very Happy

257 categories problem? Wink
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Any advantage (other than space which rsharrock didn't cite as a problem) of keeping them on the card?
Yes, problems like the 257 category problem, which resulted in the unit no longer booted up (although this did not affect the 200 series) - with the file only on the SD card, you can happily remove the card and the unit should now boot up again. That's the main reason I keep the POI data on the SD card.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
257 categories problem?

Quote:
Yes, problems like the 257 category problem, which resulted in the unit no longer booted up (although this did not affect the 200 series)

Which is why i ignored the 257 categories problem in this case.....
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Which is why i ignored the 257 categories problem in this case.....
It's not unknown for Garmin to reintroduce a bug a few firmware versions further on...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not unknown for Garmin to reintroduce a bug a few firmware versions further on...

Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: