Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - (UK) Tomtom 720 6 digit postcode??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

(UK) Tomtom 720 6 digit postcode??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: (UK) Tomtom 720 6 digit postcode?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Tomtom 720 Go and for the life of me I cannot get the 6 digit postcode feature to work.

I click "navigate to", "address", "postcode."

As soon as I enter the first three or four digits of the postcode a list of matching postcodes appears, and entering any more digits of the postcode has no effect whatsoever.

I have to select the correct first part of the postcode, then I get a list of all the streets in that postcode - I have to select the correct one and then enter the number. (which is annoying when navigating to something without a street number).

Am I doing something wrong?

I am upto date with maps and updates from TomTom Home, but this feature has never worked since day one.

All help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Geoggy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the device to your PC and using Windows Explorer view the device, there should be a folder named "zip" on the device, within this should the files:

Great_Britain.postal (9,091KB)
Great_BritainPostal.ver (1KB)
Nederland.postal (1,936KB)
Nederlandpostal.ver (1KB)

Are these in place? - Mike
Geoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Connect the device to your PC and using Windows Explorer view the device, there should be a folder named "zip" on the device, within this should the files:

Great_Britain.postal (9,091KB)
Great_BritainPostal.ver (1KB)
Nederland.postal (1,936KB)
Nederlandpostal.ver (1KB)

Are these in place? - Mike

hi mike - i can confirm that the folder is there but it is in the path

K:\TomTom (J)\zip (where J is the drive letter assigned by windows for the SD card - K: being the internal memory - could this be the root of the problem?)

thanks for your help in trying to sort this for me
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the "zip" folder from the SD card to the root of the internal memory and see if that fixes the problem, if it does fix it remove the zip folder from the memory card as it is wasting space sat there not being used - Mike
Geoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Copy the "zip" folder from the SD card to the root of the internal memory and see if that fixes the problem, if it does fix it remove the zip folder from the memory card as it is wasting space sat there not being used - Mike

mike - top man - it now works!

is there anything else that should be on the internal memory and not the sd card?

dont know how i have ended up with everything the wrong way around.

i seem to have virtually nothing on the internal memory and my main maps on the sd card??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 720 is only supplied with internal memory and no SD card fitted I am a little unsure how you have ended up with the files/ folders spread across the two storage media.

You (or TomTom Home) must have done something for this to happen, still if its working I would leave it well alone, just make sure you have a full backup of both the internal memory AND the storage card on the PC - Mike
Geoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As a 720 is only supplied with internal memory and no SD card fitted I am a little unsure how you have ended up with the files/ folders spread across the two storage media.

You (or TomTom Home) must have done something for this to happen, still if its working I would leave it well alone, just make sure you have a full backup of both the internal memory AND the storage card on the PC - Mike

it was probably me - i got the red X of death when i first bought it so had to format and start again.

still as you say - if its working leave it alone.

many thanks mike - much appreciated.
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoggy wrote:
mikealder wrote:

it was probably me - i got the red X of death when i first bought it so had to format and start again.

I think TT Home is where it all went wrong - it is soooo easy to select the memory card instead of internal memory (I'm sure these got reversed in a TT Home update) and then install updates onto the card instead of the internal memory!

Kev

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: