Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Random screen displays
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Random screen displays
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typhoont
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Random screen displays Reply with quote

I am a newly frustrated owner of TTone 3rd edition Europe who expected an Itinery feature. I must thank Mike for his Menu training course, which has worked successfully for 10 days, until yesterday. Switch on and got random jumps into Itinery, tried to plan AtoB Hereford to manchester, but random jump via Cologne - I am planning a german holiday and trying itinery from Calais to Weimar. I deleted .mnu, reloaded original backup, and then pressed the dreaded RESET button. But all to no avail. Now got jumps to random police stations in Ireland. This package should come with a government health warning - Normal Service was resumed when I tore off the plastic screen guard! Is this a design feature?
hudster
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to me with my One XL.

The plastic guard had air bubbles under it, and it jumped around randomly until I removed the guard, has worked fine ever since.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum to you both, using the device with the screen protector fitted is not a good idea as it leads to exactly the problem you describe, as you have both found out normal service is resumed once it is removed.
One other problem that can cause similar problems is when dirt gets trapped between the screen and the front bezzel, in this instance insert the corner of a sheet of A4 paper between the screen and bezzel, run it around the edge of the screen to dig out any rubbish and the problem will usually go away - Mike
Typhoont
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike. They say a problem shared is a problem halved. I only feel half as daft now. Crying or Very sad
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Dennis, and any others - all readers for that matter...

This discussion leads on to a burning question that I have, actually...

Whether proper commercial screen protectors (that is decent quality ones, specifically bought, not the film that comes with new units), are actually a good thing or a bad thing.

So far, I have not purchased one for my 720, but I have been minded to.

What I do find however, is that my replacement 720 I have now, doesn't seem as good, dragging the screen wise, as the one that went back for a different reason.

I do find that using a stylus greatly improves screen dragging however, as the problem seems to be the surface of the display - it is actually quite, erm, what word am I looking for here... er - help me out folks - what I mean is my finger 'sticks' to it - it is quite frictional, if that makes sense, and thus drags, and my finger gets 'stuck' on the screen, rather than my finger moving across it freely and smoothly...

So the map jumps a bit as I drag.

With a stylus, its much improved however. So I wonder if a screen protector, aside from actually helping against scratches, would make the surface dragging better, by being smoother.

If nothing else, they would protect against stylus drags and gouges too.

But I then worry that they would make the whatsitcalled-thingumyjiggy, digitizer response, even worse, if my new device is worse than my last, as it seems. As another thing it often does as I drag, is drop me back to the main screen randomly if I drag fast sometimes.

So do others of you experience this, and do any of you have comments either way, about proper commercial quality screen protectors etc?

Thanks all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use a stylus with the device then I would say you should use a screen protector, the device is intended to be used with a finger, a combination of zoom and panning the map can make the use of a finger very viable (even for the selection of a traffic even, which is a small target).
I have never used a stylus or protector on a TomTom PNA device, although I would never consider using a PDA without a screen protector in place - Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally use my fingers, but if I want to be a bit more precise, eg for identifying a particular carriageway, I use a Bic pen with the cap on. I've had my current device for about 2 1/2 years and the screen is unmarked (as was the PDA before it after 4 years use)
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My One XL is fitted with a Brando screen protector, I've not had any problems at all with it in any way.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

My key reason, aside from it's obvious scratch protection anyway, for wanting to consider a screen protector, is because of the current high friction of, or 'drag' of the existing screen surface.

Like I say, my finger, when dragging, keeps getting 'stuck'.

Do other people find this too?

And would I be right in thinking a screen protector might help with this, making my finger more 'glide' over the screen, than 'drag'.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a moan about my TT (though again, I don't seem to remember my previous 720 being so bad). I just wanted general advice, so thanks for all the replies so far - helpful and handy to know, cheers all.

Oh - does anyone else get the screen dropping back to main screen display sometimes, when browsing and dragging the map screen fast?
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get a 'dragging' problem, but I will admit, I put the screen protector on pretty much when I bought the Tomtom anyway so don't know what it is like bare. This was really because I saw the benefits a protector made to my kids Nintendo DS screens that they use a stylus on, I wasn't sure if the scratches so apparent on their protectors would start appearing on the Tomtom so got the protector just to be on the safe side and like I said, I haven't had any issues at all.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensonboo wrote:
I don't get a 'dragging' problem, but I will admit, I put the screen protector on pretty much when I bought the Tomtom anyway so don't know what it is like bare. This was really because I saw the benefits a protector made to my kids Nintendo DS screens that they use a stylus on, I wasn't sure if the scratches so apparent on their protectors would start appearing on the Tomtom so got the protector just to be on the safe side and like I said, I haven't had any issues at all.

Thanks mate - care to share the make and price etc?

Same to others that whole-heartedly can recommend their current screen protector too...

EDIT: (quickly done, straight after posting, so no confusion likely):

Sorry mate, just seen further up you mention it is a Brando one.

May I ask roughly how much, and where from?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, and my preferences and regional settings - or is the site posting clock off?

This is posted at 12:28:35

Was started in case that is used instead 12:27:20
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brando-Screen-Protector-For-TomTom-Go-One-V2-XL_W0QQitemZ350038947099QQihZ022QQcategoryZ139836QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

I got mine from a seller called avonvilla on ebay uk (if the link gets removed). I also e-mailed him and he got me the same screen protector for my canon camera and JVC video camera so you can try e-mailing him for the right oneif your version isn't listed. I paid £4.99 + £1.50 p+p.

EDIT, he lists all Tomtoms I think, I just let him know which one I wanted.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going right back to the first two posts... I don't think the plastic sheet covering the screen when you buy the unit was ever meant to be a screen protector while the device was being used! Smile
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ bensonboo - thanks mate, will check it out.

@ Andy - agreed, to the point that I now thought that the screen 'protectors' that is the Film over for while in transit etc, is now a BLACK, none-see through affair, for this very purpose, hence I don't know how people are still using the device with it on.

Both my 720's had a dark TomTom logo'd one, not a clear, see-thru affair like you get on mobile phones etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: