Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i can imagine that smiley grin on your face when you said you're under NDA. Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there aren't as many changes as people will hope, but then again TomTom do have a nearly perfect product (although nothing's ever perfect-there's always room for improvement).
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Competition Reply with quote

TomTom should take a leaf out of Alturion's book. Alturion in Benelux offer regular downloads to update their maps. The (79Euro pa) current downloadable update includes the January 2004 Tele Altas maps. .http://www.alturion.com/products/details.php?id=339

The only problem with Alturion is that you have to buy the Benelux Version then the UK maps as the European add on which prices it out of the UK market. No doubt they will soon release a UK only package.
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that for those of us who've had TT2 for a while, there's no free map upgrade - which is all I want. We all know that there've been some problems with TT2 maps (whole areas omitted, many pre-Dec 2002 roads missing, etc). Morally, TT should provide a map update if only to fix the glitches.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stand as much chance of that as you do serving tea to the vicar using a chocolate tea pot!

I tried that argument when we went from TT1 to TT2. The reply was:

a) it's the maps that cost us the money.
b) even with all the errors, we're a load better than a paper map, and often better than (expensive) built in GPS systems.
and
c) it's not our fault because we don't make the maps.
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark: Well, I *am* a vicar - though no-one's tried serving me tea in that kind of pot. My reply to the points you (they) make would be that blaming erroneous products (maps) on suppliers is no defence (in law) and that, as a matter of the legality of product description, a map of the UK should be just that - not most of one or one with mistakes, so that at least the mistakes should be corrected, if not maps updated. If I buy a paper map and it contains contemporary mistakes, I'd ask for a refund... I'd argue that your point b is irrelevant. The problem with charging for map updates every year is that there'll be few changes; a charge of, say £10, might be justified for these minor changes, but that's it.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - the best you'll be offered is a refund if you can show that the maps are not fit for purpose - i.e. are substantially wrong. I'm afraid we'll get nowhere arguing that they should be perfect (ie error free), because no map is.

And at what point does a map of the UK become incomplete? is it when it doesn't have all A roads? Or all B roads? Or all footpaths? If they said "includes every A road" you'd have a case, but they don't - they just say it's a map of the UK.

My point is they have us over a barrel, because their maps are not unusable. Just like the RAC charge each year for an updated road atlas (some of which is wrong/out of date I'm sure), TomTom will argue that they have a right to charge each year for an updated (but not perfect) map.

Do remember that despite the high tech packaging, they make their money selling maps, so you are going to have to have an overwhelming argument before you will get any free maps out of them.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN3 is out at tomtom! traffic info! traffic info! though not in switzerland, only uk, germany, netherlands.
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh - I can't believe I've missed the free upgrade by about a week Evil or Very Mad

No-one here's fault, but I was convinced that I would qualify after reading plenty of forum posts suggesting that any imminent upgrade would be free.

Still 49 Euros (£32) to upgrade, or £113 inc Major Roads of Wester Europe Map doesn't seem too bad - just would have been better gratis.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there never is any guarantee until it's been announced!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: