Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap accuracy!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap accuracy!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craig_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Satmap accuracy!! Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've recently purchased at Satmap, as it seemed to put together all the elements I've aways wanted in a outdoor GPS device. I got it at the OD show on Saturday and have been playing with it to find out as much as possible before heading up to Scotland biking this weekend.

To give it a quick test I took it to work this morning and then logged my walk home. The following is an image of how the route looks plotted on Memory-Map:

ADMIN Edit: Image removed, Forum Limit is images 400pixels wide.

As you can see the altitude is all over the place. There are buildings around me on the walk, but none over 2 stories and not that near the pavement. Also, my route takes me straight up the main road, Satmap seemed to think I walked through some houses and onto another road before rejoining the main road!

Has anybody got any idea what happened here? I'll try it out a couple more times to see what happens.

Craig
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome to re-post the image so long as it is re-sized to fall within the stipulated limits.

What does the route profile how on the Active 10? Is it showing correct elevations or is it the same as the MM export?
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at all surprised by your findings; I get similar results when I use the A10 in Cambridge (where few buildings exceed three storeys). Indeed there are times when I get no lock at all in the city..and even when I do it loses it easily. With only a few active satellite fixes you will find yourself wandering through buildings! The plain fact is the A10 lacks the sensitivity required for city use (I know there are some users out there have A10s that do have the required sensitivity). By contrast my Garmin 60CSx holds a strong signal even in the shopping malls and its City Navigator software is great for city navigation.

To be fair to Satmap they never intended the A10 to be used in cities. For the most part the A10's sensitivity is adequate for the great outdoor (where OS mapping comes into its own). However deep ravines that cause no problems for the Garmin can be beyond the A10's capabilities.

I hope that once Satmap have sorted out the software problems they will turn their attention to the hardware and get the set's sensitivity up to that of other SIRF III equipped sets. If they can match he Garmin's they will indeed have an outright winner.
craig_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The height profile on the unit itself seemed worse than the the MM export!

I mentioned that there were buildings on the route to try and give an accurate report of the situation, but it is a really wide pavement and a wide road, so its not exactly enclosed.

As a whole the Satmap is fantastic, it just need to follow through and deliver on a few items. Out of interest my unit takes ages to get a stalite lock, even in the middle of our huge car park!

Here is a link to the MM screen grab:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/2343179727_64e3cb96a5_b.jpg
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although still not as quick as I would like, time to first fix is much improved in 1.15.

Satmap do seem genuinely keen to improve the unit though so there is much hope.
craig_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that impression, which is good Smile Unfortunately as I stated I've only just bought mine and it came with v1.15 Sad

Is it worth talking to Satmap?

Craig
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craig_w wrote:
I get that impression, which is good Smile Unfortunately as I stated I've only just bought mine and it came with v1.15 Sad

Is it worth talking to Satmap?

Craig

Most definitely but call rather than email.
smego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap accuracy!! Reply with quote

craig_w wrote:
Hey all,

I've recently purchased at Satmap, as it seemed to put together all the elements I've aways wanted in a outdoor GPS device. I got it at the OD show on Saturday and have been playing with it to find out as much as possible before heading up to Scotland biking this weekend.

Craig

Would you mind me asking how much you got it for Craig?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: