Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasons or justification for reverting back:

1) Seems more sluggish, slow to place you round turns on the map (yet others say they think it's faster)

2) Too long and faffy to turn it on now - either wait ages for it to show, or count to 4 and guess and let go.

3) Can't see the "hide me" warning screen when switching off very well due to the new reduced brightness switch off. Giving TT benefit of the doubt, they could argue this is so as NOT to draw attention to the device, when parking up, so that those near by don't spot it. But the whole idea is that WE see it and are reminded. And if we do see it, and are reminded, we are meant to be taking it with us anyway..

4) Menu alterations for the worse - for example, one not mentioned, is that when changing between day and night colours, you USED to then get a follow up message, "Do you want to automatically adjust for night colours" or similar. Now you get no such secondary warning, and instead can ONLY do this through the brightness settings menu. Things like this are just silly removals.

5) Wireless traffic - as mentioned by me, incidents on the traffic map show incorrectly - with Congestion items NOT getting the "Queuing Cars" symbol unless you zoom close in, and lance restrictions (blue) indications often not showing with any colour, but just as blank. Not helpful at all. Reverting back, I find all is well, so this is confirmed as an APP. Update issue, not a simple traffic issue on the day.

6) Volume seems a tad quieter all round

7) Voice recognition works for me (not for USA users since the update though), but seems less exact now.

8) I randomly, but alas REPEATEDLY, get asked to choose my Computer Voice on start up, as well as confirming my key device settings. This did not ONLY happen once, as I thought it had due to new upgrade etc. And alas, others have confirmed that this is happening more than once for them. This is quite a biggy when you think about it, if ALL of us, over time, will randomly be asked to confirm settings again and again.

The only real GOOD thing I see from this update...

1) Overspeed warning is now white text on a solid red block background, rather than just changing the speed text to red itself on the surrounding blue background, which is harder to read.

Thus, not enough going for it to warrant upgrade for me yet.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate you seem to be having lots of issues with your upgrade! My 520 not had half your problems, why dont you try downgrading the reinstall new app? i dont find it sluggish but most of the changes i dont like i certanly can live with for a good TMC! and it is good still not lost signal! i sure remote areas will have blackspots but at least M25 is covered! try a reinstall mate!
michaelb104
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the problem with handsfree has been fixed - the one where it crashes in the middle of a call and keeps repeating the last nth of a second of the call.

Regards
Mike.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha - how's this for a funny day NOT...

TomTom today finally replied to my Email about the traffic issue I was having, as well as the lane issues showing the wrong side (which applies to BOTH versions of the application however).

They told me they had "reset traffic on my account" whatever that means *Laughing Out Loud*, and to try it again now. Also, could I send them screen shots of the Traffic Wrong Lane Direction issue.

So I replied telling them I had spent ages downgrading to previous version etc, so I hoped their advice was not just generic, as it means I will have to spend ages putting the new version back on. Additionally, that I won't be including screenshots of the wrong lane issue, as this is ALREADY a known bug, I just wanted an update.

TT replied stating I MUST supply screenshots if I wanted this escalating. (How do you escalate an existing known issue, but there you go).

So I spent all afternoon putting the new version back on my device etc etc, and taking a whole raft of screenshots. Sure enough, as soon as I went to new version, I no longer get the traffic warning symbols again for congestion issues on the traffic map. (which I can confirm after prior reverting that DOES work fine on previous App version)

So a waste of time putting new version on.

And after sending all this data, info, and no less than nine screenshots to TomTom, about a known problem too, I get this back:

"Thank you for your query regarding Traffic, and your maps.
We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for these problems. We have sent your questions to our 2nd line technical department.
We hope to have answers for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find solutions for your queries.
With Best Regards
Adam W
TomTom Customer Support Team"

What a total waste of time - especially as I even fore-warned him that I am SURE their reply would be along those lines. And without batting an eyelid, that's EXACTLY what they responded with.

10 out of 10 for their audacity at least, in not even TRYING to make the generic reply I told them I KNEW they were going to send, somewhat more personal.

Oh well...

So now I am about to revert back AGAIN to prior version, as all afternoon I have been turning corners and having the TT show me as driving straight on for a few seconds etc.
nebula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: "One moment please..." after upgrading to 7.48 Reply with quote

When finding POIs or when finding address (Crossing:), I get the message on screen "One moment please..." and cannot progress until I click the back button. I have tried reinstalling, restoring factory settings and resetting my 720, but the problem is still happening. This is a showstopper. Have reported to TomTom support.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "One moment please..." after upgrading to 7.48 Reply with quote

nebula wrote:
When finding POIs or when finding address (Crossing:), I get the message on screen "One moment please..." and cannot progress until I click the back button. I have tried reinstalling, restoring factory settings and resetting my 720, but the problem is still happening. This is a showstopper. Have reported to TomTom support.

Never spotted that (i.e. never tested it to find out the same thing too), but if so, and given all the other things I and others have mentioned, I seriously see an "App Version 7.496" or so, hitting our Home Screens soon.

/end gripe mode for today *Laughing Out Loud*
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "One moment please..." after upgrading to 7.48 Reply with quote

nebula wrote:

yep I was getting that with the last version sometimes ,haven't checked that with the new yet though
gymord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaconlegal wrote:
So can anyone say whether the TMC delays are now showing anything other than "1 minute"? Or is the RDS - TMC function still as completely useless as ever?

I just received and email from tomtom support after i complained about the tmc time delay let down, here is what they said:-

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the RDS-TMC Receiver.

Please make sure that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is firmly plugged into the socket on the mount, or on the base of the TomTom device. When in the RDS/TMC Status Screen (tap on the Traffic bar on the right side of the screen) or TomTom Traffic menu, please check to see if the software is scrolling through radio stations. If it is scrolling through frequencies and radio stations it is an indication that the receiver is working, however it is unable to lock onto a useable FM frequency. It is particularly important that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is positioned correctly. The receiver cable must be stretched out entirely, as it is the cable itself that functions as an antenna and which receives the RDS-TMC signal.

If you know the frequency of a local radio station that transmits RDS-TMC information, you can try tuning to this specific frequency. Please go to the "RDS/TMC Status Screen" by tapping on the traffic bar on the right side of the screen when in the main navigation view. Then click on the "Tune RDS/TMC" icon and enter the frequency. Please note that there needs to be a route planned in order to use this functionality.

If you have tried to "Tune" into a frequency but with no result then the RDS-TMC receiver may not be functioning appropriately. Please try and adjust the location of the receiver to a position where a stronger signal is received. Please also test the receiver outside of the car for a few minutes to verify that it is able to receive a signal.

If the receiver still does not receive a usable signal please re-install the latest software update, version 7.1x or higher, through TomTom HOME.

If the receiver does not receive a signal at all, not even outside the car, then please let us know and we will book the RDS-TMC receiver and the car docking shoe in for repair to get them tested and replaced if necessary.

Please note that TMC information is transmitted through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The source of the RDS-TMC traffic information, and the radio stations and organizations responsible for the transmission of the signal, vary for every country and region in which the service is available. Additionally, the strength of the radio signal that is transmitted locally can vary greatly, depending on the proximity to an FM transmitter mast and its transmission strength.

A limitation of TMC technology is therefore that in certain local areas it may not be possible to receive a useable RDS-TMC signal.

Please note that the Content of the RDS TMC traffic information is provided to you by the local radio stations and TomTom is not responsible for the Data supplied by the Radio Stations.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming home tonight I got stuck in traffic on the M1, the holdup was not being shown on the TMC traffic, but I put this down to the TMC data quality. This gave me the opportunity to see how well the TMC system is now working after the V7480 update and I have to say I’m most disappointed. I selected a route that took me down the M1, around the M25 and down th M3 to Poole and this was Easter weekend, and to my surprise no updates were shown. I couldn't believe this so I checked and the Traffic was showing ‘Up-to-date’ I therefore browsed the traffic on my route, to find there were 3 incidents. Thinking that the system had updated whilst I was playing around I returned to the main screen and the traffic status bar was still showing no traffic incidents, but was showinga green status symbol. I therefore selected the Read Aloud traffic incidents, and surprise the three incidents were all read out correcly, still nothing showing on the front screen.

When I returned home I selected exactly the same route, still green, upto status, and no traffic incidents either on the status or on the browse map, this just could not be possible. As a result of this I started up TomTom on my PDA and selected the same route and used the standard dialup traffic, after a minute or show I had a completely different picture, lots & lots of incidents, 41miles of hold ups, 5.5 hrs delays, and surprise surpise still no update on my 720.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the above I've logged a request with TomTom support for them to accept my TMC back and refund the cost under the sales of act 1979, 'Not fit for purpose' lets see what they say.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Based on the above I've logged a request with TomTom support for them to accept my TMC back and refund the cost under the sales of act 1979, 'Not fit for purpose' lets see what they say.

If you took screenshots of the tomtom screens on the PDA and on the PNA then I think that your action is airtight. In fact a group class suit wouldn't be out of the question too.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT Support wrote:
Please make sure that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is firmly plugged into the socket on the mount, or on the base of the TomTom device.
If it wasn't plugged in correctly you wouldn't get the side bar, so this advice is a waste of space.

TT Support wrote:
When in the RDS/TMC Status Screen (tap on the Traffic bar on the right side of the screen) or TomTom Traffic menu, please check to see if the software is scrolling through radio stations. If it is scrolling through frequencies and radio stations it is an indication that the receiver is working, however it is unable to lock onto a useable FM frequency
This part just shows that their automated response e-mail replys need updating, if you do this you get no frequency information or radio station information it is just blank - or is it just my device? - Mike
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedcam,

Just to let you know I experienced exactly the same fault this evening while trying a "test" route from Milton Keynes down the M1 and onto your neck of the woods. No reported delays on the bar, but when you look in Traffic they were there. Although they did not give any delay what so ever.

Seems like it is one step forward and 2 back.................
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported to TT in November the issue that if there was more than one incident on your route the sidebar showed nothing with RDS-TMC, as well as the 1 minute delay problem.

I have pestered them numerous times about an update, and they are still fobbing me off.

As for the advice regarding sale of goods act 1979, I think you will find it is the retailer that is responsible, not the manufacturer.

Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts
Subject: Sale of Goods Act, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation: Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

So, the answer is quite simple - wait for the x30 to come out with the new RDS-TMC receiver and HD traffic and then just take your current x20T back as not conforming to contract and get an exchange, as long as you are within 6 months of purchase the retailer has to prove you wrong, not vice versa. It is advertised on the box as being able to recalculate routes from delay information via RDS-TMC which it cannot do as it is not getting accurate delay information. There is also a picture on the box of it showing multiple traffic incidents on the sidebar, which on one 520, 2 720s and a 920 I have not seen yet across all Navcore 7 versions to date (all of them have had various hands free faults so I have just kept taking them back and upgrading them as the prices have dropped).

I am about to write to the esteemed Harold Goddijn again regarding this latest TMC farce, it was bad enough with the 510T and the useless receiver, they now get the receiver right and cock up the software plus break the handsfree functionality!!

Andy
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i see still issues with TMC, my unit shows more than 1 delay! i'll try and get photo tomorrow and post it! i had best ever day with TMC never lost signal, well the circle stayed green on the southern section of M25 i've never had a TMC reception with any traffic info device! i do feel TMC update is best part of update! Still not perfect tho

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 6 of 26

Jump to: