Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route A - B via C
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route A - B via C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etwell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Route A - B via C Reply with quote

Is it possible in Tom Tom to set a route via a specific place which may not be on the direct route that would normally come up.

Thank you.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with the current version. You would have to create two routes, one from A to C and then the other from C to B. Easiest if you add A, B and C to your favorites.

Future versions of TomTom will most probably support route-through.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
markd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Route A-B via C Reply with quote

This is possible using the GPSAssist add-on, although it works by automatically calculating the next segment of your journey as you reach each waypoint. You can't see the whole journey in one go and time/distance to destination etc. relate only to the current segment.

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSassist can't be recommended these days; there's numerous reported problems.

For fuller details see this thread.

David
Etwell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies so far.

I have GPsAssist and so far have had no problems with it on an iPAQ 2210 with MS PPC 2003 and TT2

However you do need to do two things.

1 Download and apply the small fix for 2003, as shown on the GPS site.
2 You need to start GPS assist first which then loads TT2.
Similarly when closing down you must close GPS assist from the menu
which then shuts down TT2 as well.

If you do it any other way then all sorts of strange things happen.
I also notice that some of the other complaints seem to come from
users of Bluetooth equipment.
markd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have been using GPSAssist regularly since last spring and have no problems as long as TTN2 is always started by GPSAssist and terminated by GPSAssist.

The functions I find useful are the speed warning which I normally keep on 75mph to curb my right foot on motorways (the rest of the family also do a good job at this when they are in the car) and the multiple waypoints.

The multiple waypoints allow you to navigate precisely the route that you want. The only problem I have had with them is if you don't happen to pass very close to the waypoint because of a changed road layout, diversion etc.. Then TTN insists on trying to take you back to the waypoint even though you are well past it. You need to go into the point to point navigation in GPSAssist and mark the waypoint as visited so that TTN gets on with calculating the next segment of the route. Also, it's best not to select a waypoint at a junction where there may be confusion as to which road to take next. If you do, TTN may be recalculating just at the critical moment when you need help. On the positive side, by splitting a long journey up into shorter segments, recalculation is usually quite fast.

My setup is a Garmin GPSII+ connected to an IPAQ 3870 running PPC2002 and 256Mb Sandisk SD card. Incidentally for holiday use I split the Garmin output and have the ability to also feed the signal simultaneously into a laptop serial port. My wife can then keep an eye on overall progress using MS Autoroute and make comments about TTN's routing ability compared with Autoroute!

I agree it is disappointing that GPSAssist seems to be no longer supported in any way whatsoever although the website still seems prepared to take your money. It is certainly in need of an overhaul but I doubt that is happening. Despite all that I don't know of another add-on which gives you the waypoints which I find so useful. Perhaps they will be in TTN3?

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the recommendation not to use GPSassist is that it overwrites several system DLLs with its own versions. One Pocket PC 2002 user found that Windows Media Player wouldn't work on his Pocket PC until he removed GPSassist - I guess that could have been to do with these DLLs.

The "extra component" is the Embedded Visual Basic runtime, which was left out of the Pocket PC 2003 ROM in favour of the .NET Compact Framework. That's needed to make any program writtein in Embedded Visual Basic work on a Pocket PC 2003 device; I can't see it solving any of the other issues.

The author of GPSassist has written in these forums in the past that really the code needs a complete rewrite, but that he has a new job and little time. It is a shame, as for now, nothing provides the features that GPSassist does.

However, there's many reasons why I fear that we're not going to see a new version of GPSassist now (as I outlined in my post in the thread I already linked). Several people have found that the current version of GPSassist destabilises their Pocket PCs to the point where they're considering a hard reset.

So long as you accept that quite a few people have found problems with their Pocket PC after installing GPSassist, and that your registration fee may well go on a program that's never updated again, that's fine.

Meanwhile, I'm glad that you've found a way to make GPSassist work for you!

David
Burgundybus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and only came across it after I'd loaded the trial version of GPSassist, had problems with it.

I was running the software on an iPAQ 5450 under PPC2003, with the VB patch installed, but all that GPSassist would do was take me into Navigator and back out again in a continuous loop, regardless of whatever I tried to get it to work in any other way. I therefore deleted the program and went looking for info on any problems anyone else had experienced. probably should have donme that first!

I am concern at the mention of the DLL programs that get overwritten. Regrettably I didn't keep a note of which they were. Can anyone help with this, so that I can try to reinstall selectively from backup? A hard re-set and re-installation is too horrendous to contemplate!

Many thanks.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just a recap. GPSAssist is fine for most if you use PPC2002, only a few people have had problems, but if you are using WM2003 then you will have a hard time in getting it working.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: