Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Camera database - a waste of time?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Camera database - a waste of time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limehouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Mobile Camera database - a waste of time? Reply with quote

Am I the only person who thinks that the mobile speed camera database(s) are a waste of time? Sad Along my route to/from work, almost every layby is flagged as a mobile speed camera zone. This seems to be absolutely stupid and a waste of resources!
What I do now is to download the database as individual files for each type of camera and only install the Gatsos and Red Light cameras on my TomTom.
Does anyone else think the same way? Question
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can do this, depending on your Sat Nav. If you have the choice of using a Consolidated Database just download that one and delete the Mobile files.

Incidently i don't consider it a waste of time. Annoying at times, yes. Maybe a little over populated, yes, but not a waste of time.

The point of Mobile cameras is they might be there. If you remove them you get no warning and it could cost you....

The locations are verified and are subject to review.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mobiles are THE most likely site to catch out the unwary I value them and wouldn't consider being without them.

Likewise when we attempted a purge of non-verified cameras a few years back the furore that we received resulted in the creation of an additional Mobile file and the pMobiles came into existence much to our ever lasting displeasure.

However MaFt will be making an announcement on the new system with regards to Mobiles very soon which we hope will go some way to addressing the issue.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a TomTom or Garmin that allows the use of custom sounds with the alerts you can assign a "silent" sound to the mobiles. That way you get a visual alert but no audio alert.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65237&highlight=
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Camera database - a waste of time? Reply with quote

Limehouse wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks that the mobile speed camera database(s) are a waste of time? Sad Along my route to/from work, almost every layby is flagged as a mobile speed camera zone. This seems to be absolutely stupid and a waste of resources!
What I do now is to download the database as individual files for each type of camera and only install the Gatsos and Red Light cameras on my TomTom.
Does anyone else think the same way? Question

Mmmm, I take on board your comments..but would then ask what do you do when you get a warning?
You'll:-

1) Check your speed ...not a bad thing...most of the time.
2) Reduce your speed...if needs must.
3) Carry on regardless....

To me it's best to be disturbed for a milli second (my other half reckons I more than disturbed Laughing ) by a false alarm, than go into panic mode & spend the next month worrying if you passed that camera above the posted limit.
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that mobile warnings are not a waste of time !!!

Twice this week they have been on a route which I take !!! being local I roughly know were to expect them but somebody travelling into the area would not !!! they are there or there abouts on a regular basis.
I think you stand more chance of being caught with a mobile than a static camera

If it also just reminds you to watch your speed a little it is worth having them on your sat nav
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Twice this week they have been on a route which I take !!!

I hope that you have reported them to the database as 'Seen again' otherwise they may get purged and warn no one. Crying or Very sad
Personally I would sooner be warned of a camera that was not there rather than not be warned of a camera that was there Very Happy
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
john877 wrote:
Twice this week they have been on a route which I take !!!

I hope that you have reported them to the database as 'Seen again' otherwise they may get purged and warn no one. Crying or Very sad
Personally I would sooner be warned of a camera that was not there rather than not be warned of a camera that was there Very Happy

Yes of course I did Smile
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mobile and PMobile warnings can be a bit annoying, so on my TT I have these as a 'Ping' using the TT standard warnings, the others I have typed in the names. like GATSO CAMERA which TT repeats as KAKSA CAMRA Laughing

Having lived in my area for around 20 years and while travelling a route used lots of times when off went the 'Ping' I slowed a couple of MPH to 30 and just carried on, parked in a layby was a Police Camera Van partly hidden by a row of parked cars Exclamation Now that was the first time I had seen one there and the first time I had used my new TT as I was playing with the setup of it, how lucky was I that time Very Happy Very Happy

By the same token on my way to work I get a ping when approaching a brow of a hill in a 30 limit, its just past a school and the traffic is usually doing 35~40. In the 25 years I have gone over that brow, 5 days a week I have never seen a camera there. But I have always made sure 30 was kept too on that bit. Even with boy racer up my tail pipe.

I will have a go at downloading individual speed zoned files, I thought that you had to set them up with the Bmp's each time you downloaded and had to reset the warning distances each time, however I think I read on here somewhere that you only have to do the Bmp's and distances once and just replace the camera files, is this right? I could then get my TT to say "KAKSA CAMRA TIRTY" if in a 30 zone etc.....
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limehouse - it's possible you have the distance warnings for mobiles up so high that you get warned more than really necessary for mobiles that are off your route. A suggestion is to use 200yds for every 10mph (ie double the suggestion for static cameras).

Also, you can choose to only be warned of cameras on your route. However, if you don't set a route, you won't get warned. Swings and roundabouts.

trapper wrote:
I will have a go at downloading individual speed zoned files, I thought that you had to set them up with the Bmp's each time you downloaded and had to reset the warning distances each time, however I think I read on here somewhere that you only have to do the Bmp's and distances once and just replace the camera files, is this right? I could then get my TT to say "KAKSA CAMRA TIRTY" if in a 30 zone etc.....

Exactly right. Once you have set up the warnings, you can leave them set and just overwrite the OV2 files with those newly downloaded. What you want as a warning is entirely up to you. Laughing
Brodit ProClip mount
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gerry, This evening I downloaded the speed zoned files and have installed them on myTT730T, on the PGPSW instructions it recommends using their "Real voice alert packages" I have had a quick look but cannot find a reference to them, I have probably been too quick and missed the link, any clue as to where it may be?

It would be handy if TT put a single key entry for warning on route or off route, for example if you are on a route you could switch all your selected warnings on and only get real warnings, then switch to global (In range) when in MAP mode.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trapper wrote:
on the PGPSW instructions it recommends using their "Real voice alert packages" I have had a quick look but cannot find a reference to them, I have probably been too quick and missed the link, any clue as to where it may be?

I think you must have missed the link (see the word "here" below. Wink
Quote:
Here you can choose your preference for alert, you can if you wish use one of our .ogg file real voice packages available here

I've suggested and been completely ignored that there should be options for when you are on a route (all nearby, only those on route or none) and when there isn't a route set (all nearby or none). Sounds simple to me. Crying or Very sad

Warnings have nothing to do with what's shown on the map.
Brodit ProClip mount
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again,

Gerry wrote:
Quote:
I think you must have missed the link (see the word "here" below. Wink
Quote:
Here you can choose your preference for alert, you can if you wish use one of our .ogg file real voice packages available here

I was looking at my print out in full glorious black and white Wink I didn't spot the underline on here, my eyesight is not as hot as it once was Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: