Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 7110/8110
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 7110/8110
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
thanks, that's good info. Lot's of nice configuration options. I'm in no rush so I'll wait and see if I can demo one of these units soon. It won't be the killer device, but it is a step in the right direction.

vids are great, thankfully the french is easy to understand.

it does look a little laggy - but i guess that's because of the recalculation - not sure why they did that in a demo - not very flattering.

it's a shame they waste so much vertical room with all the information displays too. I know I'm over critical, but still. Love the distance countdown arrow :p

and it's navteq - phew.

I have one on preorder but the company I have ordered from will confirm if I still want to buy when stock arrives. Hopefully someone at PocketGPSWorld will be able to demo a unit before they go on sale?? (please Cool ) I noticed the odd recalculation, but thought maybe it was intentional to show it recalculating?
But I have also read that the software on display at Cebit wasn't the finalised software and essentially still Beta software to show the capabilities? (Not sure how true that is though so don't take that as the truth).

I'm also looking for something with Navteq maps as I'm starting to find TeleAtlas maps 'rubbish' to say the least... My VM x980t contained some of the same mapping errors that my Navman 3 years before had and had been reported to TA many times.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's probably incomplete software - that's what I thought at first.

can't help but think they missed something there with 4.8" and not a higher res - not to make more visible necessarily, but to have it all look clearer - especially given the navgate500 and ipaq and garmin 5000 which are all upping the resolution.

Meep - found out 500EUR retail......£385+vat????
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what your experiences are with the 8110. I'm also looking to buy one after the viaMichelin debacle. Btw the differences between TA and NT are dependable on the countries I guess. NT still doesn't have streets which are there for years, whereas TA have them a while now.

[quote="jonandmarkukI have one on preorder but the company I have ordered from will confirm if I still want to buy when stock arrives. Hopefully someone at PocketGPSWorld will be able to demo a unit before they go on sale?? (please Cool ) I noticed the odd recalculation, but thought maybe it was intentional to show it recalculating?
But I have also read that the software on display at Cebit wasn't the finalised software and essentially still Beta software to show the capabilities? (Not sure how true that is though so don't take that as the truth).

I'm also looking for something with Navteq maps as I'm starting to find TeleAtlas maps 'rubbish' to say the least... My VM x980t contained some of the same mapping errors that my Navman 3 years before had and had been reported to TA many times.[/quote]
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure the spec of the resolution is correct?
Not sure where you found that price, but Navigon themselves and Amazon.de quote a price of 449euro inclusive of VAT?

In reply to Eddy I'm looking to move from VM, and as Navigon and VM have some sort of agreement for France and maybe other parts of Europe I'm hoping eventually to have the best of both.
I get the impression that VM have done the opposite of Navigon... for years Navigon appear to have just made GPS software and now moved to Hardware.... whereas VM tried to make GPS software and hardware and are now moving more into just providing the added content...
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, navigon has better support and communication channels than VM
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Hopefully, navigon has better support and communication channels than VM

Can but hope... VM support to be fair were better than my experience with Navman's UK based support. I just got a feeling that most frustrations were caused by them simply not understanding the question in the first place.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin is also poor. Then don't understand that there something else than the US and that roads aren't just a matter of blocks.
VM didn't even try tio change their answers with V7 and copy/pasted standard ou of context v6 answers. The most popular was to reset the device. I guess they were hoping that the problem vanishes by itself.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Garmin is also poor. Then don't understand that there something else than the US and that roads aren't just a matter of blocks.
VM didn't even try tio change their answers with V7 and copy/pasted standard ou of context v6 answers. The most popular was to reset the device. I guess they were hoping that the problem vanishes by itself.

Maybe the time we started to get the standard 'reset' replies rumors could have been going around about them pulling out of the market and staff could have lost interest as they were starting to look for other jobs.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the VM+navigon stuff. Might be interesting. I never touched VM tbh - it was never well received.

I saw the 500EUR price in a press release or on a cebit reporting website.
I tried to buy it from amazon.de and it said that it wouldn't ship to uk address. But yes, 450EUR including VAT it seems since that's what amazon usually quotes.

So £345 for the device, plus £20 for POI warner for the speedcams = £365.
BUT - you do get two years of map updates which are worth about £100 from garmin if you buy them once a year.
so I guess it's only £265 as long as you regularly buy map updates.

The resolution is from navigadget and yournav. Might be wrong, but i doubt it.

Remember, the sony NAVU units or whatever they are called are 4.8" and use 480x272. Same with the 5" RAC220 device (rebranded from something else). Even the strada is a 5" 480 res device.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wonder if the res is all that important if all your using it for is GPS? I can understand how it could be needed more if feeding video to the device?

I do think the price is reasonable and sure is loads cheaper than the new Garmin I was looking at. I think I worked out my new Samsung 42" full HDTV cost little more than what Garmin want for their new model. Razz

What 'was' good about VM was the fact they 'were' fixing issues and listening to customers a lot of what was added in the v7 software was through customer feedback. The interface took some getting used too but on a whole the device was really good... I still feel someone higher up decided to pull the plug too soon. V7 was out less than 6 months so wasn't given a chance, when I brought my x980t you could only buy them online... now you can buy them on the high street. So just when they got onto UK store shelves they pull the plug... I still think they chased after the US market before they were 'ready'

I do hope the VM / Navigon link up comes to something as the Michelin guides on the x980t are so useful. At least 2 less books to have to carry on holiday Razz
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud, yes res is important to me as i want to use it more as a cartography device - scrolling around. more pixels, nicer view, more street names labelled :S

Plus it might make it clearer to view from a distance at different zoom levels if it can have more detail. To address this garmin uses anti-aliasing i guess....
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what other devices are, but I noticed that the Road Angel 9000 is advertised on all websites with a High Res screen, but on a review site it is quoted as (480x272). Rolling Eyes
The new TomToms also say they only have a 480 x 272 screen so I'm not sure if your going to be able to find a higher res on a PND?

You maybe better off buying a decent PDA and getting some GPS software loaded on.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolution is indeed something to look at. VM had too much surrounding info and the road driving was sometimes too small that things looked very cluttered. Normally one shouldn't see at the screen but the VM Dutch voice gives unclear instructions and thus one needed to look at it a lot. Garmin concentrated more on the actual road and was more clear.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new high res devices are coming - navgate500, ipaq314, garmin5000 (all 800x480) and I think the mio C720 too is higher res just to name the ones i can remember......

Remember, 3.5" are 240x320 so 272*480 is going to be high res in comparison. I'm thinking of higher res Laughing Out Loud.

I guess I could get a PDA - it would certainly have more vertical resolution with normal mounting - something I've never understood with current widescreen models if you use tracking up rather than north up - lots of space to see where you're not going.

Only interesting one I've found was the 4" ipaq with VGA screen. Other devices were 2.6 to 3.5".

Of course, spending £217 for a 480res garmin is much nicer than spending £350 on a PDA then another £100 for the garmin or copilot or destinator software.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
chris_ah1 wrote:
thanks, that's good info. Lot's of nice configuration options. I'm in no rush so I'll wait and see if I can demo one of these units soon. It won't be the killer device, but it is a step in the right direction.

vids are great, thankfully the french is easy to understand.

it does look a little laggy - but i guess that's because of the recalculation - not sure why they did that in a demo - not very flattering.

it's a shame they waste so much vertical room with all the information displays too. I know I'm over critical, but still. Love the distance countdown arrow :p

and it's navteq - phew.

I have one on preorder but the company I have ordered from will confirm if I still want to buy when stock arrives. Hopefully someone at PocketGPSWorld will be able to demo a unit before they go on sale?? (please Cool ) I noticed the odd recalculation, but thought maybe it was intentional to show it recalculating?

I'm also looking for something with Navteq maps as I'm starting to find TeleAtlas maps 'rubbish' to say the least... My VM x980t contained some of the same mapping errors that my Navman 3 years before had and had been reported to TA many times.

This seems to be a good replacement as you say for the VM product, particularly if they incorporate the Michelin Guides and POIs. Could you tell me where you manage to order one from please? Would also like to place a preorder.

Many thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: