Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a card reader is only a tenner nowadays, I got a class 4 8gig card ofplay.com and works lovely nice and smooth no stuttering, movies play like a dream, music great, documents fantastic, only problem is it wont make a cup of tea Crying or Very sad Embarassed Laughing
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 4GB SD HC card from Play.com (£8.49) it is their own branded card. I've put 2 MP3 albums and one audiobook on it and had no issues. My 720 was ableto read the card when I put it in it. My laptop in built card reader does not read it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use an SDHC type card with your PC requires an SDHC compliant card reader, the chances are your Laptops built in reader will not support such cards.

The TomTom can read and write successfully for cards up to 4GB, above that value and you have to use a card reader to put the data on the card, once the data is on the card and the card inserted the TomTom will read and use the data correctly.

I use a Peak Class 6 8GB SDHC card with my units, to write data to the card I have a SanDisk MicroMate adaptor that fits into the USB slot on the PC, for details see Here although you often get these free with the cards and they can be found far cheaper than the advert I linked to typically under £5 from FleaBay- Mike
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot tosay it was SDHC aswell Embarassed
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update this post...

The common accepted belief seems to be that anything up to 4GB (be it SD or SDHC) is the best bet, as cards up to AND INCLUDING 4GB can work fine in the device, for copying files to the device while the card is in the TomTom.

Above 4GB, and TomTom can USE such cards, but copying stuff on to them, formatting them etc, NEEDS to be done via a PC and Card Reader, NOT with the card in the device itself.

That is a brief summary of things, but it's pretty much what we have all come to think.

ALAS NOT SO...

As my post HERE about photo problems using the memory card, will show.

Alas, even with just a 4GB Class 4 Dane-elec SDHC card (thus within the supposed limit for use within the device for copying), I found that it would NOT work for showing me more than 30 photos - any more than that on the card, and when you tried to browse them on the TT, the device failed and rebooted.

HOWEVER... format the card in an SDHC Card Reader on the PC (LOTS of thanks due here to MikeAlder, as it's you I have to thank for having it), and then create the "photos" folder, and add them via card reader, and what do you know - it works FINE.

So the bottom line here in my case... Even just 4GB SDHC cards can have problems with a TomTom when used directly IN the device for adding content etc. This being generally against common wisdom. So my new suggested common wisdom for all now would be this:

"For cards up to and including 2GB, TomTom should be able to use the card IN the device fine for adding content. For cards over 2GB, then you are always best off using the card in a suitable card reader for formatting, adding folders, and files etc, and then only placing it in the TT when ready for use, with the content on you require".

Hope this summary helps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to your summary....
All of the above refers to the x20 and x30 models only.
SDHC cards cannot be used reliably in any other TomTom models at present.
Smartdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a card reader and my experience is different from yours.

As an experiment have just put 54 pictures amounting to 85MB on my 4GB sdhc Sandisk card via the USB interface. Slideshow runs perfectly with a 2 second interval which given the size of the photo files is very good.

I wouldn't want to generalise a common wisdom based on such a small sample of users. It could be some other factor involved that happens to be cured by your format in a card reader.

TT Go 6000
Previous Go 920T
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartdriver wrote:
I don't have a card reader and my experience is different from yours.

As an experiment have just put 54 pictures amounting to 85MB on my 4GB sdhc Sandisk card via the USB interface. Slideshow runs perfectly with a 2 second interval which given the size of the photo files is very good.

I wouldn't want to generalise a common wisdom based on such a small sample of users. It could be some other factor involved that happens to be cured by your format in a card reader.

I would have said yes, but tests with two different makes of card (hence my original confusion) elicit the same result.

And the logic being that we are posting the "bottom line" safe advice - not so much "common wisdom" but more a case of "lowest COMMON DENOMINATOR"

As even prior to my suggestion, some people had reported better results with a larger card in the device, but the offered wisdom was based on the point where NO-ONE had issues.

I'm not explaining myself well here - what I am trying to say is that the suggested wisdom must be based on what works for ALL - and for all, if you use a card reader with a 4GB you should be fine.

This is not to say that for some, even lots, you won't get away with using a 4GB card in the device.

All that my advice is, is the "bottom line" safe advice to take, to ensure ALL can manage to achieve stated aims.

But you are quite correct - some may be fine with the card in the device - it could be down to class of card, brand, lots of things.

Let me repeat again, all I am doing is updating the previous stated wisdom that thought ALL would be fine with the card in the device as long as the card was up to 4GB.

Clearly, that previous general conclusion is now wrong is all I am pointing out.

I am only too aware that some will still happily be able to use 4GB in the device.

Hope this explains a bit better.
Smartdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood your explanation the 1st time Very Happy

I'm simply saying that COMMON wisdom cannot be derived from ONE persons experience even if it's with many cards. There well may be an issue connected with your PC arrangement that is side stepped by the use of a card reader.

Your experience is a useful pointer for other folk with a similar experiences but it aint COMMON Wink

TT Go 6000
Previous Go 920T
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartdriver wrote:
I understood your explanation the 1st time Very Happy

I'm simply saying that COMMON wisdom cannot be derived from ONE persons experience even if it's with many cards. There well may be an issue connected with your PC arrangement that is side stepped by the use of a card reader.

Your experience is a useful pointer for other folk with a similar experiences but it aint COMMON Wink

No clearly I didn't explain myself well the first time (also offered with a wink), but tried to the second time.

Forget common wisdom, as my second post suggests you do.

Think more "base bottom line", which is what it alludes you to.

And on that basis, I'm suggesting that the new base bottom line, is that even some 4GB cards need a card reader.

I hear what you are saying about my PC, but that's NOT going to be the cause. This is two different cards, both appearing to work fine... until you try to brose photos.

So the better way of me wording it, would be base bottom line, not common wisdom.

Laughing Out Loud
symbo80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: other place Reply with quote

I purchased a Transcend 16GB SD Card from a seller I heard of originally on Amazon: http://www.gomemory.co.uk/sd-cards.html

Works a dream - Transcend seem to produce good cards!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What device are you using it in, symbo80?

Despite what the description says, the image beside it shows that is an SDHC card, NOT an normal SD, so it is likely to be problematic in machines not designed to use SDHC cards.
Possibly it will 'sort-of' work, but be unreliable or not be able to access higher memory locations.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: