Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom through car audio
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom through car audio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrowningC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: TomTom through car audio Reply with quote

I have a long-term ambition to get a TomTom to report its navigation instructions through my car speakers - an ambition on which I have failed during the time I have owned a HP2210/Navigator5 combination.

I am now considering upgrading and am wondering if there is ANY combination which will allow a TomTom to play through the car speakers, just as if it were an OEM unit ie turning out the radio input to deliver the instruction then turning it back in again.

I have a fully fitted car kit for my Nokia 6310i which includes Bluetooth and I am wondering if I bought, say, a TomTom 910 then the bluetooth on that might link with the bluetooth on my phone and deliver what I wish?

Has anyone any experience of this ao does anyone know any combination - of anything - which actually works in this way?

I should add my (VW) car audio does not have an 'aux in' socket, only a phone socket at the back, which is in use (for the phone kit).

Many thanks to anyone who can let me know of the latest state of play on this one.
ReAp-SC-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that the 720 and 920's have a FM Transmitter built into them. I'm not sure about the other models though. TomTom also makes a mount with a built in FM Transmitter as well.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the x20's have a built-in FM Transmitter. AN FM Transmitter mount was available as an option for x10's.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't give the solution the OP wants though.

It's a commonly held misconception that you can tune the FM transmitter to the same frequency as a radio station and they will somehow "mix" so the navigation instructions will override the radio station. Unfortunately it just doesn't happen like that.
BrowningC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is clear to me that although an FM transmitter might deliver the instructions through the car audio it will not work in the way of 'muting' the ordinary output, which I feel could only be done by utilising the phone mute on the audio in some way, either directly or (as I was hoping) via a phone which is itself using the mute.

I cannot be the only person who dreams of this solution?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the only one but I'm not aware of any solution other than the phone mute, and I'm not aware of a solution that allows both car-kit and nav to use a single mute.

It can't be that hard to achieve though, MikeA's an electronics chap, he may be able to advise?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a year or so back, someone saying on a forum that he had had an interface box made up by a friend which did just what you need.
I'll see if I can find it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not found it yet, but came across this:
http://www.fastmute.de/vers02_engl/index2.php?id=&parent=&versendet=
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a chap at work who recently purchased a 920 and is using it with a car connect device which uses Bluetooth, apparantly it was purchased in Preston and was from some ''demo'' stock and he has more of these, even more surprising is that it actually works with the TomTom device, I will get some additional details off him when I next see him as from how he described it works it could be what you want.
I am not too sure if this car connect is a TomTom product as they never sold the device for the x10 or x20 devices IIRC - Mike
philipe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth car radio? Reply with quote

What about changing your car stereo for a bluetooth one? They are fairly cheap and connect it that way. Have a look on Amazon or Ebay. Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually got this working, i.e Bluetooth audio from TT to car stereo meaning that navigation commands mute the car radio audio just for the duration of the instruction.

If that IS working, can you still pair the TT to a mobile phone as well at the same time?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a replacement stereo for my wife's car and considered some with the BT Audio option. They don't work in that manner though, it's all or nothing.
philipe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: A thought! Reply with quote

In my case with a Tomtom Rider V2 I would think I could connect the phone to the rider and then the rider to the car stereo. Just the same as connecting to the crash helmet. Idea

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: