Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Removing TomTom (V3)'s POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing TomTom (V3)'s POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobtheboffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Removing TomTom (V3)'s POIs Reply with quote

I don't mean the (awesome) ones from this site, but the POIs that come with the TomTom V3. e.g. Open Parking, Amusement Parks etc as they are showing up in my device, but not in the TT Home app (Remove from My Device, or whatever it's called).

I've tried deleting all of the .ov2 files which I haven't got from this site, e.g. CA9373.ov2 , but this doesn't seem to do anything.

The reason why I want to get rid of the TT POIs is because I know there's a limit of 100 POIs you can have on a TT, and I want to fit as many custom ones as possible from this site , onto my device.

Does this make sense? Laughing Out Loud Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't (easily) delete the pre-installed POIs. These are contained within the poi.dat file.

However, the user POI limit is not affected by these pre-installed POIs anyway. The POIs you mention (CA9373.ov2 etc) are those generated by MapShare. These are counted in the limit.
bobtheboffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh right, but it only seems to be when i remove all my custom POIs that the entire set of preinstalled POIs actually show up on my device. (so there's less than 100, and its only those .ov2 files I mentioned). Why would that be?

Also, if those .ov2 files are MapShare ones, does that mean they're MapShare POI (preinstalled) correction files? and is there a way of telling which one is for which point of interest, as the naming of the files obviously doesn't make this clear.

Thanks !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't explain why you say you are not seeing the entire list of pre-installed POIs. Are you really sure?

Everything you have been told so far is correct...
The pre-installed ones are all stored in the single file poi.dat.
You can try renaming that file temporarily and they will all disappear, but there is no point doing it for the reason you gave as they do not add to the total number of user-poi categories you can have.

The CAxxxx.ov2 files do not come from this site, they are one way that TomTom themselves have been doing POI corrections (possibly now superseded, but that's another story).
They DO count towards the limit, as do all ov2 files.

If you want to know WHICH poi categories they refer to, I've posted a list in this forum, it's in the "sticky" topics at the top HERE
This should also give you an idea of how many categories you should be seeing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: