Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 Frozen up twice.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 Frozen up twice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surreypete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310 Frozen up twice. Reply with quote

I used my Nuvi 310 yesterday to go for my passport interview and it froze up twice and wouldn't respond to the screen touches or power button, I had to press the reset button in behind the flip up antenna.

The first time I had driven into the covered car park, the second time I was driving out after the interview, normally when I drive into car parks or tunnels it doesn't crash it just looses reception and I get the flashing question mark on the screen whilst it tries to locate itself.

Only thing I have done differently is to install a lot of MP3's on to the SD card I have that also has my POI database on it, I usually run the Nuvi through my car stereo so that I get music and directions together.

Would having too many MP3 files on the SD card have caused it to crash?
Chrol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Nuvi 310 for about 6 months. When I first started using it I had problems with it freezing. I noticed it froze near to safety cameras. I had installed the Garmin safety camera datbase from their website. It was this that was causing the problem. After uninstalling the Garmin Safety Camera Database, I had no further problems. I now use the Pocket GPS World database.

Hop this helps
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surreypete - Can i ask where the interview was? Rough location will do..
timlofts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having exactly the same problem last year when driving to a skiing trip in France. My Nuvi 310 had behaved effortlessyly prior ot it's first big test - driving abroad - and then fell spectaclarly over around Lyon! At the time it was under warranty; All Garmin told me was to load the new software update that had just been released. However, just in case, I also changed SD cards, and, as a long term test (since last May), I've had the map of France loaded actually on the Nuvi, with England on the SD card, as I did wonder if it was anything to do with datat transfer between the SD card and the unit. So far, it hasn't fallen over, but then I guess until we drive round Lyon again...who knows! Interestingly, (as earlier mentioned in thi thread) at the time I also had the Garmin traffic camera alerts loaded on the unit (part of their 3 month free trial). I'd be really happy to know if this is what caused the problem.

Does anyone know how you physically uninstall this from the unit, or simply that the fact it hasn't been subscribed to is good enough.
surreypete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
surreypete - Can i ask where the interview was? Rough location will do..

It was in Crawley.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not on the latest firmware for the 310, then yes, previous versions did have problems with too many mp3 files (in certain circumstances; although it would normally lock up within a few minutes of starting up). Also, if you aren't on the latest firmware, is it possible you had recently pressed a button - eg the detour button? The latest firmware fixes a problem with the previous firmware that if you pressed the Detour button, although the device still worked, you lost the ability to access the main menu, and hence the unit would appear to have locked up.

Finally, are all your mp3 files stored on an SD card, or in the internal memory?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: