Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HOME 2.2 Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HOME 2.2 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: HOME 2.2 Question Reply with quote

Tonight, I updated my TomTom ONE, and was offered an update for TomTom HOME, which I downloaded. I was also offered what I thought were updates for the standard voices, which I downloaded. Later on, I connected my TomTom to TomTom HOME again, and was offered these updates again, which I downloaded, thinking the previous ones would be overwritten. I now find, I have the same voices 3 times, how do I delete 2 of these duplicate files, and just keep one of each. In TomTom HOME, there is an option to delete from TomTom, but there are no voice files listed. I have looked in the TomTom home backup file and I have for example Jane, Jane 1, Jane 2, but on the TomTom, in the voice folder, the files are named Data04CHK and DATA04VIF, so I don't know which file is which, can anyone help please. I do have a backup, (Windows Explorer), but I just wanted to know If I was doing something wrong in TomTom HOME, seams silly, not having a way to delete something, that HOME has just put on.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Windows Explorer right click the .vif file and choose "Open With" then select NotePad, or, if Open with isn't available choose Open then pick the NotePad application from the presented list.
Once opened you will see the files associated name, dataXX.chk (where XX is a number), and the country - Mike
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. This is doing my head in, Just for reference, how do I use a Windows explorer Backup, delete EVERYTHING from the SD card, then copy the backup onto it?
In my case, could I delete the contents of just the voice folder, then copy the contents of the backup voice folder onto it, would that sort me ok? Thanks again.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess and say that you only have one Jane on your Device. She will always, assuming TT don't mess things up, be Data04.chk and Data04.vif.

Is it only the duplication on the PC that is bothering you?

In which case delete the duplications. Even if you took them all out, it is a free download you can do any time.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy, No, the duplications are on the TomTom as well, I have 3 janes, 2 Vicki's, 2 Liz's, about 6 Kathy's etc, should I delete the contents of the voice folder on TomTom, and copy my backup voice folder, or I could delete the contents of the voice folder, and just download the voices I want, that way, I don't get all the forign ones, is this right?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
Hi Oldboy, No, the duplications are on the TomTom as well, I have 3 janes, 2 Vicki's, 2 Liz's, about 6 Kathy's etc, should I delete the contents of the voice folder on TomTom, and copy my backup voice folder, or I could delete the contents of the voice folder, and just download the voices I want, that way, I don't get all the forign ones, is this right?

I don't see why you could NOT just overwrite the voices folder on your unit with the voices folder on your backup. I assume that when you made the backup, the voices you had contained no dups.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
The quickest way would be to delete the Voices Folder, and then replace it with the Backup. Any others you wanted then you could download those.

dhn wrote:
I don't see why you could NOT just overwrite the voices folder on your unit with the voices folder on your backup.
It would only overwrite those files that exist. The duplicates would still be present, as it doesn't remove the contents of the folder and then copy.

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oldboy"]
tanda wrote:

dhn wrote:
I don't see why you could NOT just overwrite the voices folder on your unit with the voices folder on your backup.
It would only overwrite those files that exist. The duplicates would still be present, as it doesn't remove the contents of the folder and then copy.

If you overwrite the FOLDER instead of the CONTENTS of the folder, then the dups on the unit will be gone ........assuming there are no dups in the backup, of course.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
If you overwrite the FOLDER instead of the CONTENTS of the folder, then the dups on the unit will be gone ........assuming there are no dups in the backup, of course.
If I use Windows to Copy/Paste or Drag n Drop, I get this message:

... and it does what it says in the message; overwrite those files that have the same names. Confused

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
dhn wrote:
If I use Windows to Copy/Paste or Drag n Drop, I get this message:

... and it does what it says in the message; overwrite those files that have the same names. Confused

Mea culpa! Embarassed

okay....how's this? Delete the folder and replace with the backup? Smile

Thanks, Oldboy.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the replies. The copies/duplicates, are numbered individually, so the 6 Kathys all have different DATA Numbers, so when I copied/pasted, the files from my backup, it replaced the same file number, for the same file number, and left the duplicates untouched, so in the end, I copied the contents of the TomTom voice folder, then deleted them, then copied/pasted the backup voice folder contents into the TomTom voice folder, so its all sorted now, thanks again for everyone's help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: