Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oh no, TomTom to embrace 'Over The Air'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh no, TomTom to embrace 'Over The Air'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Oh no, TomTom to embrace 'Over The Air' Reply with quote

GPS Business News reports HERE that TomTom will launch Over The Air Navigation for mobile devices in the first half of 2009.

...it's just what we didn't want... Navigation as long as you're within a network's coverage. Brilliant. Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you can navigate when you have your networks signal but if you loose signal you loose navigation and the ability to ring someone for directions or help....
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder TT kept quiet about their options for Symbian.. They are going down a route that will not get many involved. Maybe this is in addition too Symbian TTN7? But 2009 is December next year in TT's book.

At least they recognise that there is a need for Mobile by creating a department for it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
So, you can navigate when you have your networks signal but if you loose signal you loose navigation and the ability to ring someone for directions or help....

surely though the idea would be to download the parts of the map that you need as you plan your route rather than downloading on-the-fly? that way if you do stray off track you can get the extra bits needed, or, if there's no data signal then it could use GPS to at least point you in the right direction to get back on track?! or have i just invented it for them...!??

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing MaFt, I think you've probably ironed out the glitches for them before they even get started.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All off-board solutions cache the map and download sufficient enough data to cater for network coverage issues.

It's one method of countering piracy easily though isn't it!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
surely though the idea would be to download the parts of the map that you need as you plan your route rather than downloading on-the-fly? that way if you do stray off track you can get the extra bits needed, or, if there's no data signal then it could use GPS to at least point you in the right direction to get back on track?! or have i just invented it for them...!??

That's what i thought wasn't sure about Bedbugs comment of

Quote:
Navigation as long as you're within a network's coverage.

I assumed it was using a trig method of GPS between phone masts rather than GPS. So it's just delivering the maps over the mobile network?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see some users welcoming this but possibly not the frequent traveller.

I cannot imagine ever using this system abroad unless the data tariffs change considerably. A fortnight roaming abroad would cost a small fortune.

Just wondering, if the mapping data is downloaded in chunks, does it need to be downloaded again the next day if the journey is not completed?
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
That's what i thought wasn't sure about Bedbugs comment of...
For me it is the inconvenience of having to plan my route while in network coverage; living rurally, I don't even have reliable network coverage at my home address; the disadvantage is also not being able to deviate from the pre-planned route if I'm outside network coverage to a great degree, perhaps because of my own stupidity, curiosity, or (especially for work) reacting to a sudden change of requirements.

The simply ENORMOUS data charges involved in doing this while outside a customer's base telco network are worth considering. A recent trip to the US and Canada was supported by purchasing, for £30, mapping of both regions. Based upon the extensive and wide ranging NAV-assisted use I made of this facility, I estimate that my current billing structure would have cost me well over £300! I use NAV overseas approx. 30% of the time.

If I travel with a road atlas, I don't tear out the relevant pages - I like the security of knowing I have with me the ability to deviate to my heart's content and still know where I'm going. Generally I have a good idea of how I'm going to get from A-B. But at 3am when I discover that my B road journey is affected by major road closures, my NAV gets me there, no matter what, regardless of route disruption. To me this is the real value of having NAV, and an over-the-air model compromises this.

Really, this is about TT (and others) inconveniencing the paying customer to counteract piracy and generate more revenue by following a SaaS model. PGPSW don't require me to request camera data for a specific route, and yet they're actively addressing piracy - the best of both worlds. I'm not against TT countering piracy, so why not download an enabling voucher/code whenever a device connects to the network? Identify fraudulent users and disable their mapping, not compromise the service provided to loyal customers.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
All off-board solutions cache the map and download sufficient enough data to cater for network coverage issues.

It's one method of countering piracy easily though isn't it!

A different method for sure, but I dont think it is straight forward. If the data can be saved to cached, parts will simply accumulate on the usual sites until the whole is available.

BTW O2 roaming tariff is £3 per MB in the EU and £6 per MB elsewhere. Thats gonna hurt. Crying or Very sad

Jumping the gun perhaps, but I am now wondering if this will be the much awaited TomTom solution offered to get round the iPhone restrictions?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
I'm not against TT countering piracy, so why not download an enabling voucher/code whenever a device connects to the network? Identify fraudulent users and disable their mapping, not compromise the service provided to loyal customers.

I like the idea of the token to activate licensed products, if it had say a week duration before being required again this would reduce problems due to server outage and/ or lack of network coverage. This would also be a major step forward in the fight against piracy IF it was implemented properly - Mike
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is true then I shall look other than tomtom. Co-pilot has no difficulty with cracked software AFAIK. Why don't tomtom follow their lead??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: