Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 250 Map Update crashed unit.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 250 Map Update crashed unit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Nuvi 250 Map Update crashed unit. Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 250 that was bought from Halfords a couple of months ago. On registering the unit with Garmin they have sent me out the Map Update 2008 Europe. On following the on-screen instructions I tried to load the new maps on the Nuvi which seemed to be going fine untill the end when I had a message saying the update had failed with the options, retry or cancel. Selecting "retry" had no effect or response from the unit so I "canceled" the update to start the process again.
The problem now is there is no map data on the unit at all and when connected to my pc is does not connect to the USB and therefore does not show the drive or the drive of the memory card I have installed in the Nuvi. If I go into "My Computer" there are no drives letters for the Nuvi. Therefore I cannot connect to the Nuvi at all to try and reload the new or the old (backed up V9) map data.
Having phoned Garmin they say send it back to them at my own postal expense and at a cost of £29.08 unless I can find my original receipt of purchase.
Has anyone any ideas as to how I could get the USB to work again or have I no choice but to send it back.
Thanks in advance.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a different USB port?
pete102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the USB ports are fine. The screen goes brighter when connected and shows battery charging. I may have found a solution to force the USB connection. If it works I will post the results as it may be usefull to others.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 250 Map Update crashed unit. Reply with quote

The failure scenario sounds familiar (unfortunately), but Garmin's response isn't - they have a reputation for being very good at sorting this type of problem out.

Maybe you caught someone on a bad day - is it worth another go?

(If all else fails - you could ring Trading Standards for advice on how to proceed - I've always found them very helpful.)
pete102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seemed to have sorted it. I have managed to get the USB to show in "my computer" by holding the power switch to the left whilst pressing the reset on the bottom of the Nuvi, keeping the slide switch to the left until the calibration screen shows was the only way I could get the drive letter to show in "my computer". I then deleted all files in the Nuvi and then draged my back-up V9 files back into the drive of the Nuvi and now all is ok, back to where I started with V9 map data and now when I plug in the USB it recognises it straight away.
I will now try and re-load the new 2008 map data and hope all goes well this time.
My advise to all....back-up your map data before attemping to update or mess with any of the files on the drive of the GPS. If I hadn't, I would have definatly had to send it back to garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: