Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Now my 720 is also showing my position around 200 yards off!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Now my 720 is also showing my position around 200 yards off!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I am adding this here, instead of the other post, as an element of what I am about to say is unique to me...

But....

This gets weirder and more frustrating...

I have just came in now, and had the SAME thing happen to me all over again.

Once again, tonight my car was around 200 yards off.

BUT, the strangest thing, was the route or journey... You see, I was driving the exact same route I did six days ago, at the same time of night (compare the timestamp of this post, to the first in this thread, it's mere minutes out).

That is, I was again driving my partner to work tonight, same route as always, and tonight the gps location for my car was off in exactly the same way as it was last week (well six days ago actually) at this time of night when I posted.

So...

I appreciate all of you that say this is maybe down to TomTom issuing corrupt QuickGPSFix files maybe. Indeed, this quite possibly strengthens such suspicions.

But it does nothing to HELP me - in fact , as it is now six days later, with various QuickGPSFix downlands since, then I am seriously starting to worry about the value of my TomTom at all.

Especially as tomorrow will be day 28, and the last day it can be returned, if faulty, for refund or exchange, as opposed to having to be sent off for repair.

So this just gets weirder and weirder, but irrespective of the suspected cause, it's more and more worrying now.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find the lat/ long of the actual location your device does this and post it for us to look at, use Browse map and select Options/ Coordinates to grab the location details - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Can you find the lat/ long of the actual location your device does this and post it for us to look at, use Browse map and select Options/ Coordinates to grab the location details - Mike

Mike,

On those times it does this, it does it as soon as I get into my car, outside my door, so I can easily give you the co-ordinates. (I'm a big boy too, as per the avatar, so whilst I am not inviting trouble, I have no concerns sharing it).

Problem is, it only does this certain times.

Indeed, just yesterday, the very day it did it last night, it was FINE at the same location, earlier in the day, and no Downloads or docks, or QuickGPS updates in between.

And I can drive the exact same route at other times and it locates me correctly.

Hope that info helps, so happy to state that it is starting at:

Edit Original coordinates withdrawn (DennisN)

This can always be removed later.

The route then takes me to 54.95605 by -1.64760

Then to 54.95793 by -1.64749.

Then all the way along the road to around 54.96065 by -1.66759

Problem is, I am 100 yards off of this route for most of the time, for example, using the last co-ordinates in the list, of where my route SHOULD have me, I am instead placed around, roughly, 54.96016 by -1.66863 instead.

This is just an example however - it is not all road 'jumping'. Often I am placed in blank space on the map.

Hope this helps.
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you 100% certain you don't have an athermic heat-reflecting windscreen, it's not obvious, it's just used by some car manufacturers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that, Philgo, we have very good satellite signal levels when it happens.
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the answer in here, if you can understand it, not sure I can.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5621646-description.html
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the OP has resolved his problem (exchanged his device), it is not good to continue this thread parallel to the earlier and lengthier one here so I'm locking this one in order to avoid perpetuating any duplicate comments/answers. Please read and post on the other thread from now on.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: