Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910, v7 NavCore & downloadable warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910, v7 NavCore & downloadable warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: 910, v7 NavCore & downloadable warnings Reply with quote

I've tried to download some new warning sounds for my POIs using HOME (I know, but it sometimes it does what it's supposed to). I've downloaded them, and installed to device but when I choose the sound it asks "is this the sound you want" but doesn't play it back. Also, I tried an Explosion sound but it plays back as a Big Ben type bell.

Are the new warning sounds not compatible with the x10s or Navcore pre 7.221?
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, If you are using OGG files, they need to be named the same as the POi file, like,

pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.ogg

Also there is a bug in the softwear, you don't need to choose the sound, just put the ogg file in the map folder,(Using Windows Explorer), and TomTom will pick it up automaticlly, but TomTom will say "is this the sound you want" but doesn't play it back, just click "YES", it then says "bmp not found", but it has picked the ogg sound up. Have a read here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=59534

"Custom POI Files"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
Hi, If you are using OGG files, they need to be named the same as the POi file,

Not necessarily...
That is the usual method for the files from this site, but anything downloaded by "Home" will probably do it a different way.
If you are running v7 software, you're likely to find they have been put in a folder called "sounds". They should then appear on the normal sound effects page and they SHOULD be auditionable (I *think* that's a word!).

Using Home was probably your downfall, though. If you just manually get the files, and then put them where you know they should go, everything tends to work!

Tell us where you found the sounds you wanted to download and we'll be able to tell you what to do with them.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I've downloaded some files from Home itself, to see how it handles them.

It was as I thought, they are downloaded to the "sounds" folder, so the new sounds appear on the normal sound effects page.

However....
If the sound file downloaded is an .ogg format file, you CAN audition it, i.e. it plays when you tap it and it then asks if you want to use it.

But if it is a .wav file that has been downloaded, although you can select it (and it WILL work OK), you cannot hear it when you tap on it. You just have to select "yes" when it asks if this is the sound you want to use anyway.

Interestingly, on my Go720 it NO LONGER crashes if you select "no", it just goes back to the page to allow you to choose another.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlesticks - I found the other topic & posted in there and then this one gets replies..... sometimes I feel the universe hates me Rolling Eyes

Anyway, thanks for the input. Tanda, I'm not using OGG files they're files downloaded using HOME. They actually installed as I'm about to explain below.

Andy:

I used HOME to download 3 warning sounds: Add maps, traffic, voices etc - Sounds - Warning Sounds then selected the 3 I wanted. They installed as you suggest to a folder called Sounds. I have 6 files, 2 for each sound - [sound].wav and [sound].tlv

Like you I don't hear a preview sound if it's a wav but unlike you it does not work as a warning sound. The sound either plays back (when giving a warning) as silent or it resets to the first option in the list - Big Ben chiming. Maybe the x10s can't use wav, but the software thinks they can?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humble apologies....
The .wav file I chose to test it was a bell sound so, doing it in a hurry, I didn't realise it WASN'T picking up the .wav after all.

So my software is working the same as yours. Ogg files work, some wav files dont. Sorry for the confusion.

But this is the weird thing... On a 720, there is an option to record your own voice as a warning sound... and that IS recorded as a .wav, which you CAN hear, so it must be the exact format of wav that matters.
More experiments required!

As a get round, you can convert your downloaded wav files to .ogg using "Audacity" or one of the on-line file converters.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.

I thought that if I used OGG I'd have to rename it to the same name as the POI, but it appears not to be the case. Just convert the WAV to a 16bit PCM 22050Hz OGG file and dump it into the Sounds folder using Windows Explorer and it still shows up as a selectable / auditionable (it'll do as a word for me) sound. ANd it can be set as POI warning and works fine.

Well, that's one issue sorted. Thanks Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working.

I did some experiments so, more news...
It appears that the files can be either wav or ogg format, they can be 16kHz or 11025kHz sample rate, but they MUST be 16 bit.
Typically, TomTom have put files on their Home download that are 8 bit! Rolling Eyes These cannot be used without conversion in a sound editor first.
I'll let them know Wink
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
These cannot be used without conversion in a sound editor first.
I'll let them know Wink

Good grief. They'll be getting sick of hearing from you methinks Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to keep them informed of developments to their products! Joker
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I like to keep them informed of developments to their products! Joker

Truly, one of the greatest responses I've see .. and you provide lots! Cool

Fortunately, no coffee in the mouth when I read it. Surprised

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: