Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'POI Sounds' Constantly Resetting - Bloody Sick. Any Advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'POI Sounds' Constantly Resetting - Bloody Sick. Any Advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's generally agreed to use Home as little as possible and only when there's no alternative (eg mapshare updates).

Some "sound" functions are disabled on Home where the licence is for the device only (eg setting up TTS or playing MP3s).
Brodit ProClip mount
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought as i have all the above problems on my Go520, a common thread points to only the speedcam poi's are affected, could it be that there is something in the ov2 file that defaults the sound?

As i said just a thought

Dave
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way i have tried all the suggested fixes and the only way i get to keep beep 5 is do not connect to PC at all (even just with USB) and do not use the reset button.

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing in the .ov2 file that could trigger this unless TomTom have coded something to bu**er up our service Wink It has only happened to me once though and I have a range of devices all being connected/disconnected daily and generally fiddled with.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fot clearing that up Darren, i am running out of ideas, TT support have asked me to return my unit. This by the way happens each and every time i connect to PC or do a reset coz my TMC RDS wont sync.

I am slowly getting used to Big Ben chimes now tho...Laughing Out Loud

Dave
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I think I too just gave up the ghost, and went with the ogg files on this site, that kind of self-assign themselves by name.

Only problem with them, is that they are not at the same volume level as the default computer tomtom voice, so they are too quiet.

I am going to look at how to make ogg files louder tomorrow when I have free time.

I too find it strange why only the PGPSW POI's and in particular the speed camera ones, reset the bell.

WAIT - having said that, the ones that didn't resest, were my OWN created ov2 files. I have not actually tried this with other PGPSW POI's such as food places and such.

So maybe it is something about them.

But obviously if so, it is NOT affecting many people, as there are only a few complaints on here, like mine and this other guy's.

Weird.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

Only problem with them, is that they are not at the same volume level as the default computer tomtom voice, so they are too quiet.

I am going to look at how to make ogg files louder tomorrow when I have free time.

Good luck....

You think I haven't tried? The voices are recorded at full digital level AND have already gone through equalisation and a compression algorithm to get them as "punchy" as possible without gross distortion.

They do, in fact, match the "normal" voices fairly well.

The problem is that TT have done something nasty to the text-to speech voices which has made them louder (and more distorted) than everything else.

I have been badgering them for ages to introduce a proper set of volume controls so we can make out own adjustments, and I have been requesting other people to ask for it too.. See these posts amongst others:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=59512

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=62478

Tomtom did have a feedback form well hidden!), but that seems to have gone now.
If this bothers you as much as it does me, could you make the same suggestion via the support pages, please?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great.

I was gonna ASK you as a Sound Engineer too.

Oh well, back to trying the Beep 5 option, and if it still keeps resetting, sending my TT back.

That would save me finding a way to software 'kill' it as per the post on your site by me.
stealthw0lf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently started having this problem too.

I've had my TTOv2 unit for over 12 months now, and have been using this site for speed cameras since then.

This problem has occurred only in the last month, which is when I did a software update via the tomtom HOME AND I downloaded the new speed camera database.

Before that, there were no problems. Now it's annoying. I haven't connected to my laptop since the updates but I still have to reset the alarm every time I use it.

I'm tempted to rename Beep 1 and Beep 5 (I like the Red Alert klaxxon sound) to get round this.

I'm starting to think it's related to the battery running out of juice and the settings get lost, since it's something that I've picked up on. I used my unit today whilst it was still on half-charge, and it worked fine.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealthw0lf wrote:
I've recently started having this problem too.

I've had my TTOv2 unit for over 12 months now, and have been using this site for speed cameras since then.

This problem has occurred only in the last month, which is when I did a software update via the tomtom HOME AND I downloaded the new speed camera database.

Before that, there were no problems. Now it's annoying. I haven't connected to my laptop since the updates but I still have to reset the alarm every time I use it.

I'm tempted to rename Beep 1 and Beep 5 (I like the Red Alert klaxxon sound) to get round this.

I'm starting to think it's related to the battery running out of juice and the settings get lost, since it's something that I've picked up on. I used my unit today whilst it was still on half-charge, and it worked fine.

Battery never made a difference for me, as it does this on a full battery.

As more of us are now starting to report this however, I wonder just how widespread or otherwise it is.

As maybe not as many people as I thought actually have the PGPSW camera files done by type, AND speed, and have updated their software.

So I wonder if as Darren mentions, TT HAVE done something to b*gger up solely the PGPSW databases and POI's - that would be disgraceful if they have, if they are worried that this site is too good for them!
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fix of renaming the beep file, if this is possible then where are they stored?

I have looked and cannot see them are they hidden somewhere?

Dave
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

This is happening to me as well, it had never happened before.

I downloaded the new version of TT Home and it removed all my my manually typed in warnings on my TT920 all 73 of them!!!! I did not realise you could download the UK and some Euro ones from this site until this was kindly pointed out by Dennis N (Thanks Dennis).

I have not connected my unit to the PC since in fear of losing them, but I will make a backup of the cfg file before I connect next time to get the mapshare updates.

SDM197
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
I like the fix of renaming the beep file, if this is possible then where are they stored?

I have looked and cannot see them are they hidden somewhere?

Dave

I was gonna try the same myself, but I had a suspicion that the Inbuilt sound files MIGHT be ROM only.

I will have a look too though.

Andy_P might know, when he sees this message though - he's the Sound Expert guy for sure!
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Renaming Beep sound files Reply with quote

I suspect you are right there Shadamehr .

I have looked everywhere, searching for (Beep 1.*) (*.wav) (beep 1) (Beep) even just (B) Laughing Out Loud. No joy on internal or SD memory.

Lets hope someone out there has the answer.

Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .cfg file contains the settings for the POI Warnings and also the actuall spoken alert text that you manually enter if using Text To Speech.
The bongs, bells etc are stored in the data.chk file, this file comprises of all the individual sounds within the single file.
If you want to see this and check it for yourself open the files using a hex edit application scroll down to the end of the cfg file to find some of the tts text you entered - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: