Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mac download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac download
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Yes Embarassed I get the "Numpty of the Week" award

I realised my mistake as soon as I started the installation of 10.5

Anyway, I've done a little research and can confirm that it works with:

OS 10.5 and Safari 3.0
OS 10.4 and Safari 2.0
OS 10.3 and Safari 1.1

I haven't gone to the trouble of installing Firefox several times, but Darren has tested Firefox and if Safari works with these versions of Mac OS, it's probably safe to assume that Firefox will also work.

Hopefully, this extra info will make amends for my numptyness

Laughing Out Loud!! it's not checking the browser - just the operating system!!

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did BOTH Laughing

I haven't checked OS 9 or the Mac version of Internet Explorer (OSX or OS9), but if there's a need for this then I'll see what I can do.
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note for anyone who doesn't like Stuffit Expander for whatever reason: The Unarchiver (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22774/the-unarchiver) expands the archives with no problem, even when you double-click Smile

(edit: it's free, BTW!)
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Struggling Reply with quote

Hi - please don't take this the wrong way I really am a happy user but I have just spent an hour trying to update my database for the first time. Ignoring the fact that it all becomes confusing if, like me, you're not familiar with the many acronyms - I eventually THINK i got to the correct bit of the site (this is because the "subscribers 'link' in the email I received didn't take me to the download page - I now know that I should have clicked on the speed camera icon maybe you should get rid of the "subscribers" link or make all links go to the download page) and thought I'd try downloading on my Mac but got a load of windows files (yes I unzipped with Stuffit Expander) - should I be seeing POI files - and then how do I get it onto my HTC Artemis ? take out the card and put it in a card reader ? I must say I'm pretty computer literate but have found my first update experience a bit frustrating and feel it could be made less painful - most updates for most software I use are generally an email saying "do you want to update" then : download, expand, "there's an old version do you want to replace" and the job's done ! Again please don't think this is a grumpy old man moaning but I still haven't done the update and guess I'm asking for some guidance. I have been searching but have to get to work now. Best regards Roger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only it were that easy, we support a huge range of platforms across many operating systems, it simply isn't possible to automate it or make it simpler. few manufacturers offer third parties any options to automate.

We would love to make it simpler I assure you! as it is, whilst initially daunting it is very straight forward once you start.

The membership fee is for access to the subscribers area and other subscriber benefits, the cameras are just one facet of that and this is why the subscribers link does not take you to the safety camera downloads.

As for your issue, which download did you select? You don't say what software you are using and as you are 'presumably' a Mac user then the fact that you have a Windows PocketPC makes matters more complicated. Mac has no software to copy files to a PocketPC unlike Windows. You have two choices, either use a Card Reader or invest in a piece of software that replicates the functionality windows users have when communicating with a PocketPC, see MarkSpaces Missing Sync.

As for your issue, please let us know what file you downloaded and what application you wish to us it with and we can talk you through the process.
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for not shouting at me Darren I totally understand your predicament - I have and can use a card reader so I'll try that but of course need to download the correct file - this one ?

pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxx.zip .

I got it from here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SelectPackage

and went for the TomTom OV2 / UK single file options

I have an HTC Artemis, TomTom, windows mobile 6. Hope that helps and thanks again for your patience.

Away now for a couple of days so looking forward to your reply when I return.

Roger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one. Extract the .zip file using Stuffit or Unarchiver. Then copy the extracted files to the map folder (the name depends on which map you use) that will be found on the memory card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: