Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XDA Orbit - Best thing ever, but im just missing ...Semi O/T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XDA Orbit - Best thing ever, but im just missing ...Semi O/T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: XDA Orbit - Best thing ever, but im just missing ...Semi O/T Reply with quote

Hi All,

I must say i think the best thing ever is my new phone the XDA Orbit, its now got some of my mp3s, videos, photos, and of course the tomtom software all running all under one roof ( or cover ? )

However im missing just a few little things to make it absolutely perfect!

Does anyone know where i can find....

1. A MicroSD card which is 4gb or above which works with this phone?. From reading posts in this forum i understand its possible but i have yet to find a make of card which works. If you know of a make of the card /link etc i can buy one i would be very grateful.

2. I cannot get my beloved old GPS logging software to work with navigator 6.03 ~ possibly due to being incompatible with a PocketPC?
Im wondering what GPS recording programs do you use and recommend?
Im looking for something which records my location / speed / & altitude along my journey. If poss this can also work with google earth, or a CSV output is handy.

3. I have been looking for a nice weather forcast program to sit on my today screen, i have seen one i liked but it only gave US cities! Im looking for one which has UK cities and can show a little icon for the predicted weather.

I think once ive found these 3 things i will be in pocketpc heaven.

Many thanks for all your help.

Regards

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 4GB Micro SDHC card in my Artemis (which is the same device to all intents and purposes) it was from T Mobile £29:99 and comes with an SD card addaptor and SD to USB carrier to plug into the PC's USB slot - works great, if you have WM6 the phone should work with this type of card, if it is running WM5 there are two possibilities either install the SDHC CAB file to enable support for the larger cards or download and flash the ROM to WM6.

What logging software are you trying to use? - I use Fransons GPS Gate to log and port split the GPS data to multiple applications works great on this device.

Have a look at SBSH PocketWeather, you can download a tree trial of this software to make sure it does what you want prior to purchase from www.handango.com - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have tried 4GB Micro SDHC card's before and to no avail. I was in the carphone warehouse where i made them install it before i paid and it didnt work. that was a sandisk one. Ive only got 2gb or less to work.
As far as i know im running WM6. On boot up it starts off with the blue O2 welcome screen, then goes into a green swirly screen with Windows Mobile written on it.
In my Settings / About it says Windows Mobile 6 professional.
CE OS 5.2.1238 ( build 17745.0.2.3 )

It might be possible i need a SDHC cab file? i dont know where to get one?

I used to use Event_logger on my Tomtom 700, i cannot get it working on the PocketPC. I will give Fransons GPS a try will try and find a link for it. AS long as it records my journey etc and runs in the background that will be fine.

Thanks for the link for the weather program too i will have a look, the weather program i liked was called Weather to Go. Gives you about 5 days lined up in a row on the screen. typical its for only US cities.

Many thanks again

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the SDHC CAB file Here my Artemis and MDA Compact III didn't need this to enable SDHC support as the new ROM with WM6 had it built in all I can think of is for some stupid reason O2 decided not to offer it as part of their ROM. I would run the CAB file on the Orbit to install the file then take the device to the shop again and ask them to prove it works before spending your cash - it should do with that installed though.

You can find Fransons GPS Gate Here and yes it does run in the background, you can do a heck of a lot more with this application than just log though, it is a very able utility to have on the device.

The Weather application I mentioned puts a bar on the Today screen which has an icon for each of the days listed, the HTC Touch comes with a similar applicaton but it is built in to the phone (the wife is using that at the moment so I don't know what the actuall application is called but it certainly includes some UK cities - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for the links.

the microSD card i once tired at the cpw was this one..
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/micro-sd--transflash/sandisk-8gb-micro-sd-hc-transflash-card--plus-hc-card-reader!-sdsdqr8192e11m/5531

its an 8gb one which is what i really really want, do you think that with that cab file it should resolve my problem.

be good if so, and this one is about half the price too!

Cheers

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fine once the CAB file is installed to enable the SDHC support on the phone, I would try installing the file then take it to the shop to try an SDHC card in it, or borrow one from a mate to try - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm yes i was thinking along the similar lines myself,

just one last question, once that cab file is installed, does this keep the link perminately connected between phone and memory card or do i have to activeate the program everytime i want to use the memory card?

only reason why i ask, is i have a program which turns the memory card into a disk drive for the computer ( so as not to do it via sync ) which i have to activate when i need it.

many thanks!

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you tap the CAB file on the phone it will install certain files required for SDHC support, once installed there is nothing to activate etc just use File Explorer to view the full contents of the card.
The phone will just use the card in a normal way once you have run the CAB once - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thank you Mike.

Regards

MPW
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Can i be a real pain again!

I was following the instuctions on installing that SDHC program for WM5/6.

1) Install SDHC.cab
2) Overwrite /Windows sdbus.dll sdmemory.dll
3) Install Certs.cab

I installed the first cab fine, but got stuck on the next bit!

I couldnt overwite sdbus.dll sdmemory.dll as it said they are read only / protected system files?

I have looked to try and sync and find the files but they dont appear to be shown?

Any ideas how to get around this?

I did also install the Certs.cab ok.

Any ideas or ways to overcome this i would be really grateful so i can get my new 8gb card ordered!

Many Thanks

MPW
Tissy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to upgrade your ROM.

See this thread http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/htc-artemis/12887-sdhc-support-orbit-2.html

Alternatively this is a good forum in any event to post your WM questions too with lots of resources available.
White_Night
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've usewd an XDA Orbit for over a year; all of the issues identified here are resolved by reflashing the ROM - try this one,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=371182

IMHO it's by far the best and copes with HCSD cards, gives the weather for any city in the worls etc, and provides 'touchflo' ......... etc etc. Its a light year ahead of the std O2 ROM.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

Many thanks for your follow up post, but i have now sorted all 3 of my `problems`.

1. I managed to get a 8gb sdhc card to work.

2. I found a very easy and effective GPS logging program, which works without deteriation of the tomtom software and POI warnings.

3. got a reasonable weather program which seems to work quite well.

Many thanks

MPW

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: