Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Limits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: POI Limits Reply with quote

is there a limit to the amount of poi information the pc side of CPL4 can handle because i have a small prob

i have changed alot of ov2 files to XLS and imported them perfectly to the POI manager

they can all be seen within the manager and are all sorted by a catagory prefix , ie ..national trust , airfields , so on and so on , when the zoom button is clicked in the manager window the map goes to where the item should be correctly but displays nothing in the way of a push pin or relevant txt

some of my prefix entries are fairly long would that affect this , for example GATSO has been changed to CAUTION POSSIBLE SPEED CAMERA APPROACHING , does the length of the txt field under the name tab have a character limit , therefore not display info on the map

i have downloaded my custom POI dbase to my IPAQ but when searching custom places it finds nothing

it seems the imported poi information on the pc is being read by the poi manager but not transfered , displayed or recognised by the CPL4 map software

is the file that is created by addinig poi information in a format that can been saved seperately from the rest of the CPL4 programe , if a re-install of the desktop software is needed it would save a lot of time , re-importing one or two poi files is ok but when you put 10 or 11 of them in it takes ages

and the poi manager really slows to a crawl the more you add , even on a fast machine
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just noticed by chance that some cameras are displayed but are not in poi manager

GATSO 193 is displayed on my map on the pc but its not in the manager dbase

wierd

how can i resolve this
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digging a bit deeper GATSO cameras above 1517 do not display only those below this number

hope some of this helps to resolve some issues to those in the know
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have tried a few different things now to resolve the issue and i may have sorted it

i deleted all the poi`s i had previously added to CPL4 and created one large XLS file with Excel containing all the previously entered data

i then added that as a single file , still the problem of no push pin positions remained

so i deleted that file and imported the files in catagories

little chef
nat trust
steam trains
and so on
it was after i had added airports that things changed, suddenly all push pins disapeared ?

so i removed airports from the poi manager and the push pins and other places seem to have returned

i havent done too much testing yet but the push pins i was using for checking poi positions are still there on the map and havent disapeared yet , that only happens after airports are added

so airport data seems to have been the thorn in this instance

again i havent looked at the airport XLS file in detail , at a glance it seems the same as the other poi`s and imported without a glitch , maybe the fact that the airport call signs are used in the description has something to do with it , who knows ?
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and one more thing

i have just cottoned on to the fact that you can make CPL$ say anything you like

oh what fun i`m having now 8O
ap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fun. How do you do that?
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry bout l8 reply m8

had some family matters to deal with lately

lets start from the top CPL4 is a brill programe and realy dosent want messin with , it does what it says on the box well

however if ya have a sense of humor or like me you like CPL4 to say " your home master " or "please make sure you have your seat belt on" amongst other things , the answer is simple

create a XLS file with co-ordinates located from the pc map part of CPL4 and then put whatever txt you want said after it , your pda will always repeat whatever txt is writen, import it into your custom dbase and then copy to the pda

dont forget though that if you use coma`s or full stops or any other symbol , copilot says outloud those annotations , at the momment my speed camera dbase needs changing because after it says " caution possible speed camera ahead" there is a colon and then the camera number , of course CPL4 says the word colon , so that needs changing when i get the time

another thing for instance , at the end of your road just type after the co-ordinates of that location , " please check your seat belt is on " stupid maybe but how many of us realy do forget

this works two ways however , going and coming or even within the vacinity of the co-ordinates , its good when your off on a journey but daft when your nearly home and you have just driven 200 miles with your seat belt on

its all basic stuff but with imagination you can have a little fun , and theres nout wrong with that Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: