Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - X-980T NE or X-970T NE?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

X-980T NE or X-970T NE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stone95
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: X-980T NE or X-970T NE? Reply with quote

Dear friends,

I read thru a number of reviews on PNDs and finally want to put my bet on the 'dying' (?) VM models. Could you kindly give me a light on the followings?

1/ Will it be foolish to get a VM PND while knowing that VM has decided to walk out of scene?

2/ Does the software leave any tracking file for the trip made, so geotagging becomes possible later on?

3/ I understand that 980 is faster, but is bulkier, making it not so good for trekking. Will 970 be a good alternative or should I stick with 980?

Thank you for your kind inspiration.

Stone
AndySCFC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I bought my X970T about 3 days before the announcement - not sure I would have bought it after announcement Confused

After a shakey start my X970T has proven faultless and fully adequate for what I have currently used it for.

I think there are probably some real bargains to be had out there on VM PND's due to the announcement about pulling out depends how important a good device at a cheap price is or whether you can afford to spend a bit more.

I am sure there are others who have had their devices longer who can comment further.
vizzair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: X-980T NE or X-970T NE? Reply with quote

stone95 wrote:
Dear friends,

I read thru a number of reviews on PNDs and finally want to put my bet on the 'dying' (?) VM models. Could you kindly give me a light on the followings?

1/ Will it be foolish to get a VM PND while knowing that VM has decided to walk out of scene?

2/ Does the software leave any tracking file for the trip made, so geotagging becomes possible later on?

3/ I understand that 980 is faster, but is bulkier, making it not so good for trekking. Will 970 be a good alternative or should I stick with 980?

Thank you for your kind inspiration.

Stone

I have a 970NE got just before new year.

I really like the machine but:-
No more map updates ?, no more speed camera updates ?, no more firmware updates?

There are ( as far as I know ) no way to record your movements for playback later.

As for trekking, the software "snaps" your position to the nearest road, so doesn't show your exact position if you are "off road". ( please correct me if im wrong, but thats what happens when I cross country )

I you really need a GPS for trekking off road you should look at the alternatives made specifically for hiking
stone95
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: X-980T NE or X-970T NE? Reply with quote

Thank you buddies. I am now more confident that VM really produces good PNDs. It's sad that they decide to leave the market. Crying or Very sad

vizzair, thank you for correcting my confusion on the use of PND. Trekking does require other type of software. Embarassed

Well, it is really a disgrace if it really leaves no tracking files, and that would push me away from getting one. Could some other friends be kind enough to confirm or advise otherwise?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: