Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Units on bridges
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Units on bridges
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Mobile Units on bridges Reply with quote

Could there be a 'standard' for these Mobile Units on bridges?

Sometimes, we have two camera locations with different numbers for each mobile unit on a bridge [for each carriageway]

On other bridges there is only one [in between the carriageways, and this is confususing the units. Which direction of travel initiates the warning?

Several camera locations on bridges between Carmarthen M4 and Severn Bridge M4 give warnings in one direction only!!!

This is speciallly the case if I set a 'route'. I know several of the notorious locations but only get a warning in one direction!!

Help please.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your dilemma however the easiest way would be to untick the box which says 'warn only on route'. You should then get the warning either direction of travel.

If we put two cameras (one on each carriage) the people that have done the above, would get two seperate warnings and this could garble the warnings.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my vote is for going the other way!
Leave the "warn on route" ON and put camera icons on both of the main carriageways just on the approach side of the bridge.

A similar method is already being used for "reversable" cameras on the central reservation of dual carriageways.
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:
I see your dilemma however the easiest way would be to untick the box which says 'warn only on route'. You should then get the warning either direction of travel.

Where do I see 'warn only on route'.
Is it part of the database, POI loader or the specific unit?

lupos0_1 wrote:

If we put two cameras (one on each carriage) the people that have done the above, would get two seperate warnings and this could garble the warnings.

A 'standard' decision needs to be made, either each mobile on a bridge has two cameras recorded or one!!!

Driving on the M4 the 'standards' should be the same for all mobiles on a bridge! At the moment the standard seems to change all the time!

All members please look at the 'mobiles on Motorway bridges' and see what standard they fall into. [one central camera location or one on each carriageway]
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning off "warn only if on route" would cause far more confusion than having two separate cameras on an overbridge.

To be honest, such an arrangement IS in fact two different mobile cameras - one that's sometimes present on one carriageway, and one that's sometimes present on the other.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Several camera locations on bridges between Carmarthen M4 and Severn Bridge M4 give warnings in one direction only!!!

10 of the 12 mobile units on bridges on the M4 in Wales have single camera notification, the other two have double camera locations.

Camera 70-M-5877 has no notification Eastwards, is this correct?
I get the notification Westwards.

If so why is the camera location on the Eastbound carriageway [on the bridge above on Garmin maps]

Yesterday the notification of the single camera location on overhead bridges varied according to the direction of travel!

On one bridge the Police Camera van was 'active' but I received no warning!!!!!!!!!!!
On the return trip the van was gone and I was given a warning!

Surely most mobile units on motorway bridges are reversible so a warning in both directions is safer!
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1 wrote:

Where is this option?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
lupos0_1 wrote:

Where is this option?
The option is on TomTom devices and found when you cofigure the POI Warnings which is located:
Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI - Mike
erwinhp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been plagued by the double warning on motorway bridges, and it is not uniform. Since it is only TomTom units that have the 'warn only on route' optiion, would it not be best to standardise these mobiles as one camera with a warning in both directions?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. a number of other navigation software packages also offer the Warn on route option, what would be nice is for the hardware/ software vendors to support directional POI warnings but only one or two can currently claim this. - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strumble's right and I vote with Andy_P for having two cameras in those circumstances - I don't think we can rely on just one. Although I HAVE seen and verified some bridge sites where it looks as though a van could only operate one way (wide enough standing only at one side of the bridge) it really does seem pretty safe to assume that an overbridge camera can operate in both directions - maybe even without moving - I did read that they can operate for both approaching and receding vehicles.

For the sake of users who have "directional" devices, it seems virtually obligatory to have two cameras. I'm not familiar with such devices, but my guess is they need both cameras, unless they can "recognise" if a camera is marked as reversible.

I'd imagine this situation has arisen historically - quite simply "we" verifiers didn't recognise the potential AND submitters didn't either.

I imagine too that there is a lot of work for somebody here if that is the conclusion reached by Admin.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
For the sake of users who have "directional" devices, it seems virtually obligatory to have two cameras. I'm not familiar with such devices, but my guess is they need both cameras, unless they can "recognise" if a camera is marked as reversible.

The MioMap 3.2 software (And i suppose the IGO on which it is based) only needs one cam with the '2 way reversible' flag set. So a cam with a heading of 45 but reversible will warn if your heading is 45 or 225. There is no 'warn on route' Equivalent of the TT so dual carriageways are not a problem if the cam is on the other carriageway facing the other way provided that it is NOT flagged as reversible (Or there is no direction allocated making it a multi way that will always alert). But there is an acceptance angle of about Plus/minus 30 degrees either side of your direction of travel which the heading of the cam must be within for an alarm.

Having said all that, I would have thought that 2 cams, one on each carriageway would be the answer, with the possible disadvantage of double alerts, but does this REALY matter so long as you are made aware of the fact there might be a cam on the bridge and it could be facing either way? Better than having it one way, and my mio not warning me about it.
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erwinhp has renewed the interest in a posting I made 20 months ago!

I thought that the verifiers had agreed on the standardisation of two cameras for each overhead bridge since then!

However, I just checked the M4 from its western end to the M25 and there are eight overhead bridges with single camera data.

If you want the list MaFt I could email it to you, save eight submission forms!

However, to prevent a rush for 'free membership' I do not think these are included. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fairly frequent M4 frequenter/verifier, may I just quickly say that I NEVER verify an overhead bridge camera without driving up and over the bridge to prove it to myself. I've only done that with one such site on the M4 (first bridge east of J15, Swindon, pmobiles 51436/7). Pontius Pilate would have said no different. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
However, I just checked the M4 from its western end to the M25 and there are eight overhead bridges with single camera data.

If you want the list MaFt I could email it to you, save eight submission forms!

go for it - cheers!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: