Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Mapshare updates since....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Mapshare updates since....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried removing corrections - and to be honest, after the A40 cock up MapShare updates are low on my list of priotities. I just hate it when something that WAS there suddenly disappears. I start to think - what next?

And surprise sur-ruddy-prise it's sprung up as an option today. Damn TomTom.....Wonder if a big stick would help...... Rolling Eyes
Unholymoondog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I setup Home on Saturday after getting my new 720 and the mapshare updates were available all Saturday evening and first thing Sunday morning. It started reporting that no new updates were found, even though it stated that mapshare updates were available. I didn't modify my device at all on Sunday, so I thought it doubtful that it was a problem with the unit.

I then checked to see if was a potential problem with the Home software. My original installation was on my Vista PC, so I decided to setup Home on my Laptop which was running XP. I again found that the updates were still unavailable, which signified a problem with the server itself.

I've read back through the threads reporting the problems and I have seen the possible solutions. The suggestions worked for some, but not for others and this appeared a bit strange. The problem that I found yesterday was purely a server related problem.

However if there is also a problem with the home software, it no wonder that people are getting so frustrated. Reading back through the posts, the servers seem to be very unreliable and they really need to get them stable to help pinpoint other potential problems.
Insomnia06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyfaenor wrote:
I have had exactly the same problem as described above with the 7.10 map telling me it was weeks out of date and it wouldn't download the shares.
I don't how Andyp2002 found it, but his suggestions worked for me:

1. Connect the TT to the PC
2. Close TT home and open the file browser for the device
3. Browse the Western_and_Central_Europe folder (you might have to enable viewing of hidden files"
4. Rename these two files Western_and_Central_Europe.mid", "Western_and_Central_Europe.mms" to .old or something.
5. Eject the unit and let it reboot
6. Do a reset and switch on the unit.
7. Re-connect it to the PC and start up TT home
8. It automatically Updated my device.

The main screen now tells me I have 57243 corrections in use. I guess this is right, as I clicked all of the options to update previously. However, I can now see all of the Western Europe countries with updates against them in the Mapshare preferences. Very Happy

On the basis of it worked fine for me (I had upgraded to 7.10), try the above, as recommended. Respect to Andy Not Worthy

I've been trying the mapshare update over the weekend, with regards to point 4 above. The only file that i can find is the .mms not the .mid one, any suggestions
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Insomnia, I thought it had been posted eveywhere... that info came direct from TomTom support, BUT was only relevant for v6 maps.
V7 maps don't have the files they mention.

The only advice from them that I've seen that might work for v7 is to use "remove all corrections" from the Home menus.

Try just removing OTHER peoples' corrections first, but unfortunately it didn't work for me until I deleted both other peoples' AND my own, which meant I had to re-enter all of the corrections that I had sent to them, (luckily, I always add errors I find to a POI category I call "map errors" too, so it was boring but not impossible to re-do it all).
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[tongue in cheek]
Try raising a ticket to Tom Tom support explaining your problem. Wait a couple of days after sending it and then re- synch your device. Download map updates successfully and receive an email from TTS 4 days afterwards asking for a screen shot of the error<
[/tongue in cheek]

As daft as it sounds, it worked for me and has done ever since. Haven't got a clue why it started working Confused
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be working fine for me now. Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is half the problem. There are so many times that it just stops working for no apparent reason and then starts again, that it MUST be TomTom messing with it or their servers being broken.
If ONLY they would say so on their website, like other companies seem to be able to do, it would save so much faffing around.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If ONLY they would say so on their website, like other companies seem to be able to do, it would save so much faffing around.

... or just update the support ticket. Mine is currently with 2nd line support trying to work out what to say. Rolling Eyes
Brodit ProClip mount
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
This is half the problem. There are so many times that it just stops working for no apparent reason and then starts again, that it MUST be TomTom messing with it or their servers being broken.

And has the issue of nobody apparently getting poi updates for 6 weeks been resolved?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got TWO support quetions open with TT about the missing POI corrections, and last night (for the second time) I got a reply from TomTom "support" saying that Mapshare has NEVER provided POI updates!
They said (and this was the whole reply):
Quote:
Dear Mr P...,
The POI updates are only available from our website. This is a one-time download and does not get updated via Tomtom HOME.

Tomtom Map Share updates only covers the map corrections shared with other users. It has nothing to do with POIs.

As this was at the end of a long set of discussions where they had asked questions like "What are these CAxxxx.ov2 files you mention?", I'm afraid I got a bit cross, and replied:

Quote:
Thank you for your FASCINATING reply.

SO..I have been imagining the whole thing?
The POI update files already downloaded via Home and installed on my Go over the previous months are a complete figment of my imagination?
Everything I have written so far is nonsense?

In that case, do PLEASE tell me why there is a TomTom help file on your own site telling people how the Map Share POI updates work? See here:

"How do I receive updates for the Points of Interest (POIs) on my map?"

I quote:
"TomTom Map Share™ not only allows you to make and receive map corrections, but also to make and receive corrections on Points of Interest (POIs) like Hotels, Petrol Stations, Restaurants, etc. In order to receive these updates, connect your TomTom device to TomTom HOME."

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT, BEFORE YOU REPLY, but please DO reply and explain why you are unaware of this.

Today they've finally sent it up to 2nd level (again)

Time for that smilie again....

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it Andy!! That's the second time this morning you've caused me to scrape semi masticated banana off my keyboard and screen. Just give me a few more minutes to finish my elevenses before you go off on one again. PLEASE (and where's that rolling round the floor smiley?)

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Do you want to point out their own press release...

TomTom Map Share™ receives TÜV SÜD certification

Quote:
29 February 2008, Amsterdam – TomTom, the world’s largest portable navigation solutions provider, today announced that TomTom Map Share – its unique map improvement technology – has been certified by TÜV SÜD for its high quality as well as its reliability. TÜV SÜD acknowledged that Map Share meets the high usability expectations concerning the:

* daily correction of maps including POI’s (Points of Interest)
* easy input and update of changes
* high reliability of received corrections

(Highlighting is mine) Rolling Eyes
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll hang on to that for their next reply! Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I had a reply that made sense:

Quote:
Dear Mr P...

I am answering your query for you as ____ is currently on Holiday.

Our MapShare Development team is currently working on Improving the POI update features and as result we not offering POI updates via Mapshare. POI updates via Mapshare will be made available again soon.

With Best Regards

That's all I wanted to know.... Smile
chrisjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise this is going to win the award for stupid question of the decade but, tin hat on duck under the parapet and here goes Smile

What the chuffing hell are you supposed to see on your TomTom when a map correction has been applied?

I have Go510 running ver 7.162 software and UK & Republic Of Ireland map ver 715.1703. I run Home 2.2 and it claims to be downloading and installing updates. it even claims to be uploading corrections I have made.

But try as I might I cannot see anything more than one single solitary correction that I made to rename a short stretch of road outside my mums home. And that is it. I have for example tried to update Jcn 4 of the M40 to put in the new slip road from the A404 North to the M40 West. But either I am being incredibly thick and not doing it right or it just ain't working but no sign of the correction.

And no obvious sign of the other 6000 odd correction Home claims to have installed either.

So what exactly is the point of having Map Corrections if you cannot see them? Or am I doing something silly (quite possible Very Happy )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: