Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Garmin Nuvi 760
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin Nuvi 760

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueLightChauffeur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: New Garmin Nuvi 760 Reply with quote

I have just upgraded to the new Nuvi 760 after using a Streetpilot i3 for the last 2 years which I thought was excellent.

I use my sat-nav nearly every day as a blue light driver for the National Blood Service very often driving to Hospitals/Towns I have never been to before on blue lights & sirens so the importance of accurate information etc is vital.

However at present I find the 760 constantly showing my position about 200-300 yards behind my actual position. I think it is a software matter as for example if I take a different route the 760 reports recalculating before my position on the map shows me that I have past the junction where I should have turned.

I have emailed Garmin about this several days ago but have not had any reply.

I would be interested if any other 760 users are experiencing the delay, which I find rather irritating after using the spot on i3

I have obviously upgraded to the latest software etc.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would say its a faulty unit and I would return it as 200 to 300 yards behind the turning is a lot !!! I am in know way an expert and but I am sure people who own this GPS will post .

There is a free phone customer support number you can ring in the UK and the phone is answered very quickly

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
U.K. time
Phone

Free 0808 238 0000 (within U.K.)

0870-8501242 (within U.K.)
+44-870-8501242 (outside U.K.)
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueLight Chauffeur wrote:

Quote:
However at present I find the 760 constantly showing my position about 200-300 yards behind my actual position. I think it is a software matter as for example if I take a different route the 760 reports recalculating before my position on the map shows me that I have past the junction where I should have turned.

I agree with john877. it sounds like a problem with the unit. I have a nuvi 760 which does not have the lag as described. my position with reference to a turn, or passing a camera, match the audio cues, voice or warning "bong".

Chris B

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800
Colin64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Garmin Nuvi 760 Reply with quote

Hi Smile

I recieved my new Nuvi 760 today from Global Positioning Systems this morning as an upgrade from Snooper Indago.
I decided to fit it into the car and take it for a trial around the area, unfortunatly my Nuvi is experiencing a similar problem as BlueLightChauffeurs Nuvi 760.
The unit is indicating anywhere from say 50yrds to 200yds behind my actual position,depending on speed travelling.
This unit has software version 2.30,GPS software version 3.00s. I have not changed any software as i only just recieved it and i am trying to find my way around it.

Could this be software problem,i.e update required?
Could the unit be at fault?

As it is now Saturday i cannot contact Garmin or Global Positioning Systems.

Bluelightchauffeur did you resolve this problem? if there is anyone out there with some firm ideas or fixes please let me know. Crying or Very sad

BlueLightChauffeur wrote:
I have just upgraded to the new Nuvi 760 after using a Streetpilot i3 for the last 2 years which I thought was excellent.

I use my sat-nav nearly every day as a blue light driver for the National Blood Service very often driving to Hospitals/Towns I have never been to before on blue lights & sirens so the importance of accurate information etc is vital.

I have emailed Garmin about this several days ago but have not had any reply.

I would be interested if any other 760 users are experiencing the delay, which I find rather irritating after using the spot on i3

I have obviously upgraded to the latest software etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you chaps with the delay problem actually running with a route planned or not? - I have seen this delay on other Garmin units before when no route is planned but it goes away once you tell it where to go by setting a destination - Mike
Colin64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Are you chaps with the delay problem actually running with a route planned or not? - I have seen this delay on other Garmin units before when no route is planned but it goes away once you tell it where to go by setting a destination - Mike

Mike

I had no route planned, it was just out of the box and placed onto holder with powerlead attached to try it out as it is a completely different from Snooper Indago.

Colin
Colin64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin64 wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Mike

I had no route planned, it was just out of the box and placed onto holder with powerlead attached to try it out as it is a completely different from Snooper Indago.

Colin

Mike

In response to your post as a quick test i planned a 2mile route from home and the Nuvi was much improved but not exact anywhere from 2-10yrds behind depending on speed.At a junction and stopped, the Nuvi showed 8yrds to junction. On the return home route i decided to deviate and see what it did,again an improvement on no route panned but, the lag increased up to max of 25yrds.

Not sure why planning a route should make Nuvi's actual position indication more accurate!

What would you say is acceptable tolerance for actual to indicated?

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 2 to 10 yards (even 25 yards) is acceptable performance from a commercial GPS, for a start your position is only updated once per second, if you are moving work out how far you travel in one second. We would all love the position to be spot on, but it rarely will be. Being honest in use I don't find this level of inaccuracy to be a problem in a car.

Also other factors will influence accuracy such as the position of he GPS satellites at the time you are checking this out, some times will be better than others.

Why the Garmin products perform better with a route planned is a question I cannot answer, I only mentioned this "feature" earlier because it has been seen on previous Nuvi devices from the same stable, it would appear the new units also behave the same way from what you describe - Mike
BlueLightChauffeur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Further information on Nuvi 760 Delay Reply with quote

Following the suggestions to my first posting of this problem I contacted Garmin and found them very helpful. The chap I spoke to thought it was a software problem and took me through the process of Factory Resetting the unit (Turn the unit on whilst holding the bottom right hand corner of screen)

I then using Garmin Web updater software updated the unit from 2.30 to 2.50 I then road tested the unit and found it to be spot on and what I had been used to with my i3.

HOWEVER I have been using the unit with complete satisfaction for a couple of days and today at work I demonstrated to one of my colleagues the MP3 player and picture viewer etc., then I went out on a 50 mile trip around London, THE DELAY PROBLEM HAD COME BACK!
Knowing how to reset the unit and having all my personal POIs on file (NOT AS FAVOURITES) I reset the unit and again the unit gave spot location information.

So it appears that using one of the Nuvi's additional features is slowing down the map drawing and making it delay in showing the correct location, although I am sure it knows the correct location as it still seems to give accurate verbal instructions.

This is a very enoying software error and in built up areas like London the delay makes the unit almost useless with the delay I have been getting and resetting the unit after using the mp3 a bit pointless.

I shall be contacting Garmin again next week.
Colin64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Further information on Nuvi 760 Delay Reply with quote

BlueLightChauffeur wrote:
Following the suggestions to my first posting of this problem I contacted Garmin and found them very helpful. The chap I spoke to thought it was a software problem and took me through the process of Factory Resetting the unit (Turn the unit on whilst holding the bottom right hand corner of screen)

I then using Garmin Web updater software updated the unit from 2.30 to 2.50 I then road tested the unit and found it to be spot on and what I had been used to with my i3.

HOWEVER I have been using the unit with complete satisfaction for a couple of days and today at work I demonstrated to one of my colleagues the MP3 player and picture viewer etc., then I went out on a 50 mile trip around London, THE DELAY PROBLEM HAD COME BACK!
Knowing how to reset the unit and having all my personal POIs on file (NOT AS FAVOURITES) I reset the unit and again the unit gave spot location information.

So it appears that using one of the Nuvi's additional features is slowing down the map drawing and making it delay in showing the correct location, although I am sure it knows the correct location as it still seems to give accurate verbal instructions.

This is a very enoying software error and in built up areas like London the delay makes the unit almost useless with the delay I have been getting and resetting the unit after using the mp3 a bit pointless.

I shall be contacting Garmin again next week.

Do you have any ideas/hunches as to which of the additional features may be causing this?

Can you please let me and the rest of the forum members know what the outcome of the discussion with Garmin is,as it appears from MikeAlder's post, to be a problem with different Nuvi models.

Colin
BlueLightChauffeur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I certainly will be posting any outcome.

Was working today and intended to try each function to see which one was the culprit but I was too busy and needed the Nuvi for navigation, so I dare not try any, which is crazy really.

You pay all this extra money for the fancy functions but then are too scared to use them in case it mucks up the Navigation!!!

Garmin really will have to sort this one out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: