Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New database and settings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New database and settings?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyLyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: New database and settings? Reply with quote

Hi All....

I uploaded the new database to my DS and after my 1st run of the unit it detects the camera on both sides of the road? - not just in the direction you are going... Camera is wolverton road - Newport Pagnell away from the town centre...

I also tried it out on the Newport Pagnell Bypass and on both sides of the dual carridgway I was getting safety van alerts... is this right?

the DS has been in the boot of my car since the old days of the databases...

Also what do people set their course angle delta on? - I get alerts even when I turn off a road with a camera - mine is set on 15 at the moment...

cheers

Andy
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Database settings Reply with quote

If you go to the update camera page you can enter the locations that you mention and all the relevant information is there to enable you to update the directional data for those cameras. The next issue of the database will only give you alerts for cameras on your side of the road as it will incorporate your updates.

As to the course angle delta, mine is set on 30 as default. In motorway mode this is reduced to just 10.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you submit the correct heading data via the submission page then we can update the database!

cheers

MaFt
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: DS on Ebay Reply with quote

Some guy is flogging Drive-smart units on Ebay at around the £150 figure and there is apparently a new database release on the " www.drivesmartsupport.com. " website if anyone is now foolish enough to buy one. Cool
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some guy is flogging Drive-smart units on Ebay at around the £150 figure and there is apparently a new database release on the " www.drivesmartsupport.com. " website if anyone is now foolish enough to buy one.

What's the problem? As long as you can get a database for it, and we have a good one here in the download section, then I think the units one of the best. As so many have said before me, it is not the prettyist but that makes it better in a way. Because of its looks and the fact that it is not well known means that it is not likely to be stolen.

I love mine apart from the voice, but with a bit of care these can be replaced. It can be customised in the databases dept if you wish and have the skills to compile it yourself and can even customise the voice alerts to suit. I'm attempting to build a congestion charge zone database with a voice alert to match.

It has one of the best specs sections I have come across as it calculates your average speed in the zone and warns you if your exit speed is to high to try and save you from getting any more points on your license.

As to the Ebay price, someone has a lot for sale and they have been going for around £40 brand new and I'm thinking about getting one as a back-up to mine.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. I too have a DS and still use it and its great that the Pocketgpsworld came to its rescue and helped extend its life. But I remember well how several members of the DS forum were ripped off and left with no explanation or support etc. etc. so I don't particularly want to see people being sold a machine, however good it once was, simply because someone has bankrupt stock, or whatever, that they want to off-load onto an unsuspecting public. You might be interested in the reply I got from "remote12" the guy selling the DS's on Ebay

Quote:
Hi Dave , thanks for the email.

SOme info that you will find interesting.

First of all, I`d like to agree with you about the fact that the sales arm (distributor smart tek) closed the forum. It was also the same sales outfit that for a period did not update the database. The develoeprs never abandoned the users. THe guy behind smart tek could be described as a meglomaniac who though the knew better than everyone else and failed to keep promises to both some users and the developers. Thankfully, the developers retain all the IP and when it was made clear to smart tek they were assholes and their licence to use the designs and products revoked , smart tek they shut the forum (since now they have no business). The developers were not paid anywhere near what they should have (pretty well much nothing tbh). They are the ones who set up the support and continue to support it.

The so called support you refer to are the developers and backers of the DS. They have no relationship with the sales assholes smart tek. I have read some of the comments on pocketgps about smart tek and the current suppport site. Frankly, most is misleading, incorrect and some almost certainly slanderous.

Why dont you give the developers a chance to keep supporting and working on the DS rather than bashing because of something that was out of their control at the time?

There is a new OS and loader on its way, the biggest and most innovatives features ever produced currently in beta stage. I dont think they would continue to work on this unless they were serious about the DS and future projects.

So I would say, give them a chance. They update the database, provide support, warranty, develop new products and have updated the OS and loader all in 3-4 months. I would say there is a lot of faith there, but some users refuse to see it.

My 2 pence worth.

- remote12

I myself remain sceptical about the reincarnation of the DS but I will be happy to be proved wrong. Might be nice if the referred to developers identified themselves and made some sort of announcement about the DS i.e. its past and its future.

Anyway remote12 seems to be selling a fair few so who knows?
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good for you. I too have a DS and still use it and its great that the Pocketgpsworld came to its rescue and helped extend its life. But I remember well how several members of the DS forum were ripped off and left with no explanation or support etc. etc. so I don't particularly want to see people being sold a machine, however good it once was, simply because someone has bankrupt stock, or whatever, that they want to off-load onto an unsuspecting public. You might be interested in the reply I got from "remote12" the guy selling the DS's on Ebay

I agree it is a good unit and I'm glad that you use still yours. I already knew that there was a new O/S on its way and in fact I have made some suggestions to the developers on what should be in the O/S. Early indications are that these will be included when it is released.

I have not said anything about it before because I did not want anyone to think that I was connected with the original developers or smart tec, which I'm not, just a user who had bought off Ebay and not from remote12 either, mine was a private sale from a person who had it as a unwanted present.

I have had Snoopers in the past 815S, S3 and S4 with the radar attachment and also a Talex Lite and out of all these, the DS is by far the best and I really do hope that the developers can continue what they have started and make a go of it this time. I shall continue to subscribe to the forum and its database here as it must far better then a free one and must be more up todate as a result of the members here submitting updates via the update form.

One thing I do find annoying apart from the voice on the DS is the aerial, I wish it had been build into the top of the unit like the others are.

I hope that all those people who have purchased a DS from remote12 find their way to this forum and subscribe to this database. The more people useing one will put more pressure will be on the developers to continue to support it and go on to develop better things in the future. It is too good to just let it die.

Lets hope for a good outcome here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I met the 'Developers' and 'SmartTek' and each totalled one person as far as I could see so 2 in all. I never met anyone else nor did I ever hear mention of any other persons involved.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW Darren, I have not meet anybody connected with either but I have been in email contact with the drive smart support team whom I believe are the developers and I have had emails from people there called Chris and Julien. Do these names ring any bells with you?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris does.
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just loaded the latest database update from the www.drivesmartsupport.com website to my old drivesmart machine, removing the pocketgpsworld database from it which I now have loaded on my ipaq 2210 instead. I will run both databases side by side for a while and see how the DS support database compares with the pocketgpsworld one. I don't do a lot of journies, mine tend to be routine, so anyone else with an drivesmart around doing nothing whilst they use the pocketgps database on another machine might like to run a similiar comparison. We know the pocketgpsworld database to be reliable so lets see how much the DS Support Team are really putting into restoring the name of "Drivesmart" shall we?

Be interesting to see what they call the new speedcamera detectors when they arrive in the next "Two Weeks" My guess is it will be "Laser Star" Twisted Evil Forgive me Lord for my cynical ways. Rolling Eyes
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Be interesting to see what they call the new speedcamera detectors when they arrive in the next "Two Weeks" My guess is it will be "Laser Star" Forgive me Lord for my cynical ways.

Did I miss something here, what new speed camera detectors, arriving in 2 weeks time?

I know they are busy working on new products but from my discussions with them I distinctly got the impression that all their effort was currently going into a new O/S for the DS. I suspect this is trying to restore faith in the product for all those people who have purchased one already.
AndyLyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my earlier posts I checked the database again against the pwgps one...

on the DS usg the DS database I get the camera alerts only on the side of the road the camera is... on pgpsw I get alerts both sides of the road...

I have sent in the correct coordinates and direction of travel to update the database so hopefully in the next database we will see if its better...

on another note.....

on the bottom of the DS screen I get a minus - figure e.g -60.... I used to get the words FAR, is this the operating system or database showing that?

cheers

Andy
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
on the bottom of the DS screen I get a minus - figure e.g -60.... I used to get the words FAR, is this the operating system or database showing that?

What this is showing you is that you have a "user speed limit" set and the minus figure is actually telling you how far away you from reaching your preset limit. This limit is set at default at 100mph so therefore if your travelling at 40mph then this figure would show as -60.

This feature is undocumented in the manual as it is something that has been added in on one of the O/S updates, and there will more of these creeping in when the new version is released soon.

To get access to this, if I remember it correctly, you have to press and hold down the (UP) button and you should get a bleep and the display will change to show the user set speed limit screen. You can set this active or not in the same way as any of the other features and you can adjust it in 10mph steps.

Be warned though that if you set this feature active, once the speed limit has been reached and exceeded, you will get the voice message "Speed to fast" repeating all the time until you drop below the set limit. I find the feature of the speed limit a useful addition for cars without cruise control but the constant "nagging" is annoying. I have asked for for one of the top buttons to be used as a mute switch for this "nagging" if required until a fresh alert comes into play, i.e. a camera warning which will reset the voice messages again.

This I have been told should be in the next issue of O/S due to be released soon.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This feature is undocumented in the manual as it is something that has been added in on one of the O/S updates, and there will more of these creeping in when the new version is released soon.

I'll correct my own post here, this feature is documented on page 7 of the manual, I just noticed it after re-reading it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: