Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Digital speed cameras M25 gone live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital speed cameras M25 gone live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in "Browse map" tap the "options" button to decide what is shown on screen. "Co-ordinates" is one of the options.

then just "Find" one of your favourites (or POIs or whatever) and wherever the blue cursor is, the co-ords are shown at the bottom.

Just remember to enter them on the form as "51.12345 -0.12345" instead of "N 51.12345 W 0.12345". (no minus sign if it is east).
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK. Thanks for explaining!

Interestingly the first set of co-ordinates doesn't match against any known/dummy position. The second set appear to be close to a speed limit with a cross through, albeit 40mph (perhaps from an old contraflow?). Anyway, these are the co-ordinates:

51.43074,-0.54035
51.43353,-0.53880

As mentioned it could just be that I'm seeing a speed monitoring system that's part of the variable speed limit, or dummy cameras. I'm still curious to know Smile
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for taking the time to inform us all.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive the M25 junctions 11 to 15 and vice versa every weekday.

Since seeing this warning about 'cameras to go live' I have scoured every gantry for the cameras - and I cannot see them !

There has been some discussion on the local Hillingdon website about this 'email warning' and none of the posters, who also use this section of motorway, have seen them or can spot them.

One poster who was stuck in traffic had plenty of time to examine a number of gantries in both directions, in his case J15 to J12, and he could see nothing unusual.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked around the web and I found an AWFUL lot of "I have just been informed by someone who knows someone who works for the Metropolitan Police Service..." type thing.
All an urban myth? Or at the very most is it just the same camera positions we already know being updated with new kit?
worthingsaxovtr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junction 10 on is the variable speed limit anyway

so why you want to speed in that area is crazy
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Since seeing this warning about 'cameras to go live' I have scoured every gantry for the cameras - and I cannot see them

Did you look at the two points above? Whatever the boxes are, they are quite clear through the gantry. I'm still wondering if they're part of the variable speed system though.

I also wondered if it was a myth, although I'm not sure of the practicalities of just changing film cameras to digital. Surely this must be a bit more involved than something that's effected in a few days.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I have scoured each gantry again yesterday (Wednesday), as best as I can whilst driving, and I can see nothing that even resembles a camera.

Of course I looked at the opposite carriageway in more detail as the cameras would be pointing from behind.

I've seen this type of email before and I'm wondering if it is a ploy.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I travel this section of the M25 almost every day, I also apart from from TomTom 920 with the excellent PGPSW Database have the Valentine 1 Laser and Radar detector reckoned by most to be the best in the business.

I have seen no change in these cameras for the last 4-5 years, the Valentine picks up that there are 2 live clockwise before you get to the M3 and the same amount counterclockwise between the M3 and A3 J12 to J10. I must admit I don't use the M40 bit J13-J16. I f you look carefully you can see the ones the Valentine is picking out because they are the only ones with flashguns.

Personally I always stick to the limits which are shown, even with the extra reassurance of the Valentine, it just lets me know if there is a camera in the box. The Valentine is however becoming redundant as the move towards the Monitron cameras which do not use radar renders the Valentine useless. I am seeing more and more Monitrons where ever I go, and the the PGPSW database is the only defence against these.

I think this M25 warning is just an Urban Myth, some people take great delight in making other people worry, a bit like the people who write Viruses which heap problems on innocent unsuspecting people.

SDM197.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This begins to sound like the myth that began when a whole series of information signs were opened on the M4 a couple of years back between J12 and J14. The "rumour" then was that there were SPECS cameras attached to all these gantries which was of course complete rubbish but the message persisted for a couple of months.

Whilst it sounds wholly logical that the existing Gatsos are replaced by digital cameras I am not convinced that these cameras are even activated when the speed warning signs are not on i.e. when the limit is actually 70 but I guess we will have to wait for several people to report that they have been nicked for doing 81 mph.

Any volunteers to test the theory? Very Happy
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have noticed many times in the past that the cameras do definately operate when there are no variable warnings showing. I have personally seen cars get flashed in the early hours of the morning on the opposite carriageway, and they were going very fast. Of course being the early hours is the only possible time you could go very fast around this section Laughing

SDM197
ultimate
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe not a hoax?

http://aol.whatcar.com/news_article.asp?NA_ID=231089&type=autocar
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing there to say that there are any NEW LOCATIONS.
I still reckon they are just replacing existing cameras with new ones in the same gantries.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes I have seen the quote supposedly from the Highways Agency, but if you go onto the Highways Agency Website there is no such evidence.

I am not wishing anyone to get nicked, but I still think this is a hoax. I believe as Andy says that all the cameras will be updated over time, but not all these cameras at once.

SDM197
evo17paul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to let everyone know, i go through this section everyday and there are no cameras after junction 12 and i come off at 16. I confirmed this this morning and tonight, so as i first thought this is a hoax (unless they start the work at the weekend).

The current VSL cameras are between 10 - 12 (with the occasional gantry hasn't got anything - like one which is connected to a bridge and anything passing underneath would not get snapshot!).

I'll update on Monday again, when i go past again

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: