Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - traf cams on pda/ virus
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

traf cams on pda/ virus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: traf cams on pda/ virus Reply with quote

hope the subject dosn't sound too scary Laughing ..have a pda that is used to dispatch jobs through mercury system used for taxi purpose it has tomtom navigator on it as its dedicated satnav can anyone confirm to my employer that downloading the traff cam database from pgpsw that it does not and will not contain any virus that will render the pda inoperable
have been using tomtom 300/510 for a while before i got pda and have downloaded the database before with absolutly no probs.. this post is just to confirm the pda is safe !! thanx guys and keep up the great work.. Cool mark
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera Files contain location data, with appropriate Text labels. There is nothing in the Files that can be harmful to any Device it is put on.

In most cases it is a Text File, although in TomTom's case it is a Proprietary Modified Text File.

The only Software that can make sense of the data will be Sat Nav based, and then they only use it as a Lookup Table.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mark85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for clearing that up..
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to open up a can of worms, and if im reading this right, but....

Is the PGPSW scdb allowed on business pda/tomtom/satnavs which does not belong to the user ? Even if the user is a member?
lets say the device gets shared between employers for example.

Bearing in mind, like a business PC, the employer has the owness to purchase the licence for all the software used, so should an employee be putting on their own stuff, this should surely be upto the employer to sort out.

Any speed cam database wont help to dispatch jobs any quicker?

I know if i was asked to drive a company van ( god forbid ) i would only use my own PDA/Tomtom equipment with the PGPSW scdb., as i would not trust anything else, nor let my copy of the database get onto other devices.

Only a thought?

MPW
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically our licence is for personal/private use only. For business use you require a business user licence.

If your employer owns the device and is handing out these to drivers then its a grey area. If they do not supply the database then we don't have any issue with you using your own subscription BUT you would need their permission.

There is no threat from viruses using our POI files, they are simple modified text files.

Finally, if your employer has many drivers and many PDA's, they may want to ask us about a business licence, it offers volume discounts amongst other benefits and could be a nice extra for them to offer. We already supply some very large fleets.
mark85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for getting back to me on this they do not supply the datata base
only the pda so my understanding of this is that i can use my own subscription to use the data base for my self.. mark.. note the pda is for my personal use only and can never be used by another driver hope that clarifies the situation..
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thanks for getting back to me on this they do not supply the datata base
only the pda so my understanding of this is that i can use my own subscription to use the data base for my self..

In this case then you need to be aware that every copy of the database is digitally linked back to the account that downloaded it. Were someone to copy the database from your device and it found it's way onto the Internet, your subscription here would be at risk when we found it.
mark85
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fully understand and agree with last comment rest assuresd the pda is in my posession 24/7 and will not be given to any other member of staff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: