Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just how much bigger will they get ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how much bigger will they get ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Just how much bigger will they get ? Reply with quote

I see that Panasonic are also now offering a 5" wide sat nav....why on earth they have to get this big beats me. It's going to be like having a mini TV screen in front of you, and they of course, are illegal. So, it strikes me that sooner or later, the Government, PC lobby and others will go out of their way to have them banned and so screw it for the rest of us. My PDA 's and recent Vario 111 have served me just fine for a good number of years now, and I have no problems whatsoever with the view displayed. Someone needing 5" probably shouldn't be on the road I wold suggest.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should I not use my T-Mobile ameo for navigation in the car because it has a 5'' screen? yes it is large and I don't need glasses to see the road or the dash, you just have to be careful where to position such a device. There are other nav systems using larger screens available but the problem with any of these devices is portability, they don't go in a normal pocket - Mike
1neil1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent used mine much but cant see the need for a large screen you just need to listen and take the odd glance at the screen if your unsure as far as i can make out thought they would be gettin smaller not larger

neil
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only making a personal point. I mean, are they going to get even larger ? For what ? I would have thought that even 5" is way above the optimum size ? And some no doubt, could circumnavigate the law, by running a film on them as well, to 'quietly' view while driving. One day, sadly, the law will clamp down I am convinced.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]you just need to listen and take the odd glance at the screen[quote]

I have a built in 5" screen in the centre consol and dot matrix display build into the instrument cluster as well as voice prompts, not a cheap either costing something in the order of 15 times the average after market add on device. The point I'm saying here is that price does not make any differance as to the accuracy of the software and if I were go by purely the voice prompts alone, I would not be a safe driver as many of the prompts leave so little time to respond, especially so in crowded city centres with junctions so close to each other.

Also on many occassions I have been told to take the next sharp left, which is actualy a dead end, so a glance at the map is essential. Sometimes even the map and the dot matrix display which just shows the junction to take, have disagreed, so it is essentail that you also read the road signs as a double check.

As a proffesional driver I love my sat nav, it saves me carrying loads of maps and time taken to pull over to study them, but you have to remember that the sat navs have information that is compiled by humans and we all make mistakes. Therefore you still need to be alert and have some road savvy about us.

The bigger the screen, the better as it only takes a quick glance to digest the info it gives you, what does matter is the positioning of the screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: