Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Service Pack 1 for all S-Series now out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Pack 1 for all S-Series now out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller just one more question will I still be able to use the Navdesk DVD still knowing I downloaded the s90i sp1 update?
Cheers
Martin

Just be truthful and follow your heart
Life is how you make it

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I'm now a happy Garman Man
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Navdesk Reply with quote

The "stable" items like voices and mapping remains provided by your DVD while the main unit software is updated via the download. So yes, you DVD will remain essential and useful
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Navdesk Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The "stable" items like voices and mapping remains provided by your DVD while the main unit software is updated via the download. So yes, you DVD will remain essential and useful

Many thanks for your help.
Martin

Life is how you make it

jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: S90i rebooting Reply with quote

Anyone still suffering rebooting problems after the service pack is applied like myself (abbz is one other at least) is advised by Navman support to reinstall all the software again. Remember I was promised that this SP will fix the rebooting issue.

I have been promised that if I reinstall the software and it still reboots they will take the unit in for repair/replacement.

Does anyone think reinstalling the software will work or are you as sceptical as me?
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said exactly the same to me about reinstalling it as well. They were a bit cagey to admit that there is a problem with the units rebooting but as we
all know the problem is there. Overall i can see myself taking them up on their offer of replacement/repair when i get back from a short trip next week.
im hoping they will allow me to drop it of to them in person as i dont live to far from their offices. will keep all informed
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Anyone tell me if they had problems installing there voices from there DVD after the s90i sp1 update? My DVD won't do anything Shocked
Cheers
Martin

Life is how you make it

Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin4Jay wrote:
Can Anyone tell me if they had problems installing there voices from there DVD after the s90i sp1 update? My DVD won't do anything Shocked
Cheers
Martin

I have got my voices on my s90i now. I did a restart with computer so I'm OK but can I suggest to everyone to do backup when you get your new satnav glad I did It took me all day to sort the problem but with help from the backup I'm a happy chappy
Cheers

Life is how you make it

PaulRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: SP1 Worthwhile? Reply with quote

We took our S90 to Brighton from Sheffield a few weeks ago. Naturally, I was expecting the TMC function to help us negotiate the M1 improvements north of the M25. Having used TomTom V6 on a PDA with traffic updates via GPRS, we were expecting the S90 to be at least as good, but we were sadly disappointed.

At J14 it turned us round and had us going back up to J15A to go down the A43. It then turned us back south again at J15. We then had a cross country diversion that was fine until we hit a sign for construction traffic only, so we went back to the M1 and just ignored all the rerouting and took half an hour plus just going through the roadworks.

Going home on the Sunday was similar. Approaching J21 (M1) on the M25 it kept changing it's mind every few minutes. Firstly about whether to get off at J20 or not, and then whether to get off at J22 or not. We just managed to get off at J21 as it changed it's mind yet again.

Back home in Sheffield and thinking about what had happened, I wondered why we hadn't been re-routed down the A43 in the first place. I wasn't sure if the problem was caused by a software bug or just by rapidly changing conditions. Certainly, going through the roadworks in both directions we were slowing right down and then back up to 40 again. As Traffic Master only considers that there is a delay when the traffic speed drops below 30mph near one of it's sensors, then it could just have been the traffic conditions at that time. I feel sure that with TomTom we would have been diverted via the M40/ A43 as this has happened to us several times over the last couple of years.

As the A57 Sheffield/ Manchester road was blocked by a landslip at this time, I decided to test this further. I plotted a route from home to Glossop, and although it highlighted the blocked section in red, it still routed me via the blocked road. Fortunately, SP1 came out about 4 days before the road reopened, so I was able to re-plot the route. Initially, of course, it chose the A57 again, but once it picked up the TMC info, it switched the route to the A628 Woodhead Pass. Spot on.

We're going south again this next weekend but over the Dartford crossing this time, so it will give us another chance to try out the TMC function under busy conditions.

I do have to say though that we quite like the S90. The only problems we've had are the TMC, which is hopefully fixed with SP1( update next week on this), and ocassionally stuttering when recalculating the route after we'd ignored it's directions. Niggles include the qwerty keyboard issue with postcodes still not fixed, postcode searches bringing up a number of roads and not just the one they refer to, and issues relating to mapping POIs such as the hotel that was actually three roads away, not at the centre of it's postcode.

So far then, definitely worthwhile installing but still a few items to go.

Cheers

Paul
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: TMC Reply with quote

A very detailed review of your TMC experience - but do you think its more to do with TMC in general in the UK, not the Navman

I really think GPRS Traffic Control is the way forward, for superior coverage and obvious data advantages, and why everyone is not using it doesn't make sense (with built in GPRS - not mobile phone connected versions)

I think for those who would benefit from GPRS the £5 monthly fee is acceptable, and if available as a one off purchase also (ie. when people go on holiday, buy a month for £10). Just think no more trailing wires. No more non-reception. Less bad data. More informative data possibilities

Just a thought. Why try and wrestle with something that doesn't work. Even if it is cheap!
PaulRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: TMC Reply with quote

Quote:
A very detailed review of your TMC experience - but do you think its more to do with TMC in general in the UK, not the Navman

At present I'm inclined to believe that it's a combination of that and requiring SP1. Our experience with a pre satnav Trafic Master unit was that it was too dynamic for the stop/ start situations often found on motorways, and, due to the limitations mentioned in my previous post, regarded 2 hours for a 60 mile journey on a motorway as normal.

Quote:
I really think GPRS Traffic Control is the way forward, for superior coverage and obvious data advantages, and why everyone is not using it doesn't make sense (with built in GPRS - not mobile phone connected versions)

Whilst I would agree that GPRS is probably better in that the information has some sensible damping applied to it, there's no reason why TMC information should be any worse, especially as this is one of the main sources for the GPRS info anyway. Apart from this there are a couple of reasons why I don't think it will take off.
1) The majority of people won't pay for the information.
2) Apart from motorways, mobile phone network coverage is very patchy.

Cheers

Paul
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: xtraseller Reply with quote

Quote:
2) Apart from motorways, mobile phone network coverage is very patchy

Don't know about where you live and travel, but my phone works in many more places than my TMC - either pass it through the main broadcast channels, or give up on it
MattiasB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Crashes solved? Reply with quote

I just bought an S90i and I seem to have the same problem as jassythedog and abbz. My device crashes (with dialogue saying an illegal operation has happened) or just reboots without warning.

It seems to me to be connected to TMC messages. When I have the antenna connected it crashes quite frequently and when I disconnect it, not as often.

I'll try the patch tonight and see if there is an improvement. Otherwise I'll probably have to return my device, which is a pity since I like it otherwise.

I wonder why some of us have these problems, and others not...
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashes solved? Reply with quote

MattiasB wrote:
It seems to me to be connected to TMC messages. When I have the antenna connected it crashes quite frequently and when I disconnect it, not as often

Does it crash immediately or when traffic events start arriving? In which area are you trying to use the device (I'm wondering if it has something to do with large number of traffic events in your area)?
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Crashes solved? Reply with quote

MattiasB wrote:

I wonder why some of us have these problems, and others not...

Would it help to compare build versions? Mine was version 5.00.0104, build date/time: 2007-09-10, 23:40:41 and it never crashed once during the four months I used it.

--

Cheers,

Dave
MattiasB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Crashes solved? Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

I am running build 5.10.0026 (SP1) but it is no change to the previous build.

I did however receive a rather quick reply from Navman support mail, and in Swedish too, to my great suprise (I wrote the mail to them in English).

According to the mail, Navman are aware that there is a problem with TMC in Sweden (Not actually TMC I'd say, but how the S90i receives it) and according to the response they have a team here trying to find and fix the problem. The rather optimistic reply states that there could be a fix within a few weeks.

I am not sure I believe in the timeline but it does at least seem like they are on the problem.

And the reason that it crashes for me and not some of you, is because I am in Sweden and you are probably not. ;)

/ Mattias

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: