Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Service Pack 1 for all S-Series now out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Pack 1 for all S-Series now out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Dont know but I would presume because of it's file size (145mb) its quite a large update, maybe too much for NavDesk to handle (best suited to "patches"???)

Downloading it now for my s90i - let you know how I get on...

Thanks for the update!

No Problem look forward to your comment
Cheers

Just be truthful and follow your heart
Life is how you make it

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I'm now a happy Garman Man
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller How did you put it in your s90i?
Thanks

P.S Your right about the TMC is much better then the Tom Tom 910

Life is how you make it

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Installation Reply with quote

You just download the (145mb) file and run it - it will self-install on the your (connected) S series Navman unit - it needs a re-start part way through on the Navman (not your computer) but talks you through it all the way. It's not a difficult to install update, it's self-installing

Used it on a six hour round trip today, but - honestly - cannot see any improvements (didn't really think there were any issues anyway, in my usage) EXCEPT it now incorrectly says "onto the ar303" rather than the onto the A303" (pronounciation of A) which was right and is now wrong!

One other thing I have noticed but may not been a change, just bad luck is it now seems to want you to re-route (ie. u-turn) for longer than it used to. I don't like this either...

Have asked Navman for a list of what changes have been made and await their response, which I will post here

Top and bottom of it is I was very very happy with my Navman s90i - and since the update am less so (unless Navman can provide me with info as to areas they've improved I've yet to notice... it is only day 1)
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

it now incorrectly says "onto the ar303" rather than the onto the A303" (pronounciation of A) which was right and is now wrong!

So now you need a Service Pack for the Service Pack! I'm sure NavMan will be on to it straight away! I mean, look how quickly they've resolved all the other issues.

xtraseller wrote:

One other thing I have noticed but may not been a change, just bad luck is it now seems to want you to re-route (ie. u-turn) for longer than it used to.

Well I've always found this a bit unpredictable anyway - sometimes it will nag me for about a mile, other times for just a few hundred yards.

I take it you've seen no improvement with route (re-)calculation times?

--

Cheers,

Dave
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

As you know Dave, I disagree with you regarding "issues" with the S90i software as I was very happy with the unit and use it extensively (virtually every day), and have experience (own) of most other popular brands to compare it too

However, unless Navman can tell us what they have improved, I can only see this update as a step backwards for the unit

No - haven't noticed improved route calc times, but this didn't shown concern before

My only issue with Navman is what exacty this (major) update has done...!
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

No - haven't noticed improved route calc times, but this didn't shown concern before

Well my only observation was that occasionally it took an absolute age (eg about quarter of a mile) to recognise when I had strayed off the planned route and then took another six seconds or so to recalc (almost as though it was recalculating the entire route). This was a big issue for me when I was driving around a city centre that I was unfamiliar with. Had I not been fairly familiar with Birmingham city centre, it would have been pretty useless.

So are you saying that there is no improvement in (re-)calc times, or that you merely aren't consciously aware of an improvement?

--

Cheers

Dave
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
You just download the (145mb) file and run it - it will self-install on the your (connected) S series Navman unit - it needs a re-start part way through on the Navman (not your computer) but talks you through it all the way. It's not a difficult to install update, it's self-installing

Used it on a six hour round trip today, but - honestly - cannot see any improvements (didn't really think there were any issues anyway, in my usage) EXCEPT it now incorrectly says "onto the ar303" rather than the onto the A303" (pronounciation of A) which was right and is now wrong!

One other thing I have noticed but may not been a change, just bad luck is it now seems to want you to re-route (ie. u-turn) for longer than it used to. I don't like this either...

Have asked Navman for a list of what changes have been made and await their response, which I will post here

Top and bottom of it is I was very very happy with my Navman s90i - and since the update am less so (unless Navman can provide me with info as to areas they've improved I've yet to notice... it is only day 1)

Hi xtraseller
Looks like I'm better of not bothering with the update and wait for you comments with Navman Technical Support for the info

Cheers Mate
Martin

Life is how you make it

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Problems Reply with quote

Martin4Jay - i agree, wait and see - I'll update when I know anything

Dave - I had the same issues, and contacted Navman support, but it was because I had custom POIs loaded. Removed all of these and it worked fine (ie. knows as quicky as any unit when you stray off course, re-calcs are reasonably fast also)

Basically after installing the PGPSW POIs my unit became virtually unusable because of exceptionally slow menus, re-calcs etc. just like you are experiencing

Try removing any custom POIs

Don't know if the update has fixed that as havent tried loading in any custom POIs since, and have little need to do so
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

Dave - I had the same issues, and contacted Navman support, but it was because I had custom POIs loaded. Removed all of these and it worked fine (ie. knows as quicky as any unit when you stray off course, re-calcs are reasonably fast also)

I had a custom file for Railway Stations and, yes, as soon as I removed this, the recalc issue improved noticeably - but the unit is still slow to actually detect when I have diverged from the planned route. I do use some of the built-in POIs (speed cams, railway stations, cash dispensers, car parks and petrol stations - whcih is a mere fraction of all those available) and can appreciate this introduces additional overhead - but this should only be to the actual drawing of the map and not affect how quickly the unit realises you have drifted off course. There is something seriously wrong with the programming somewhere and, as such, this should have been patently obvious prior to launch had proper testing been carried out.

--

Cheers,

Dave
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Issue Reply with quote

I agree, but as I wouldn't have these selected anyway, its not much of an issue for me. Will try selecting them ALL today (the Navman built-in POIs) and see if its faster than it was, which did used to bring the routing and response speed down - as you rightly say, due to software bug not because of the extra power needed to process these items (dis-proportionate)
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Update Summary Reply with quote

So here is what it gives us...

Summary

This service pack will deliver the following changes, enhancements and fixes:

Continental routing enhancement for F10 and S30 users
On-screen prompt and translation enhancements
Improved routing for the state of Queensland, Australia
Route calculation and route guidance bug fixes
Subscription enhancements
Expanded speed camera coverage for Italy, Andorra and Portugal.
Minor bug fixes
General Improvements and Enhancements

Continental routing has been enabled, allowing F10 and S30 users to travel across multiple countries within a continent.

Various on-screen prompts and translations have been rewritten to make them more user friendly.

Map routing for the state of Queensland has been improved enabling users to travel with accurate route and reroute calculation.

Route calculation and route guidance bug fixes have been made.

Subscription enhancements have been made to NavDesk to handle duplicate safety cameras and custom POIs.
The new types of safety cameras include:
Safety cameras (mobile)
Safety cameras (average)
Red Light cameras

Expanded speed camera coverage for Italy, Andorra and Portugal
Speed camera information is now available for Italy, Andorra and Portugal.

Minor bug fixes
Minor bug fixes have been made to the software.

...so worth an update I guess
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Update Summary Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
So here is what it gives us...

Summary

This service pack will deliver the following changes, enhancements and fixes:

Expanded speed camera coverage for Italy, Andorra and Portugal.
Minor bug fixes
General Improvements and Enhancements

Continental routing has been enabled, allowing F10 and S30 users to travel across multiple countries within a continent.

Various on-screen prompts and translations have been rewritten to make them more user friendly.

Map routing for the state of Queensland has been improved enabling users to travel with accurate route and reroute calculation.

Route calculation and route guidance bug fixes have been made.

Subscription enhancements have been made to NavDesk to handle duplicate safety cameras and custom POIs.
The new types of safety cameras include:
Safety cameras (mobile)
Safety cameras (average)
Red Light cameras

Expanded speed camera coverage for Italy, Andorra and Portugal
Speed camera information is now available for Italy, Andorra and Portugal.

Minor bug fixes
Minor bug fixes have been made to the software.

...so worth an update I guess

Many xtraseller for the info I wished I get the quick response from Navman still waiting for a response to an email three days ago, before I got the s90i they were quick in replying maybe they are short of staff.
Just curios does anyone no if there N95 will work with there s90i

Cheers
Martin

Life is how you make it

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Navman Reply with quote

Navman typically same or next day replying these days in my experience (since the Mio takeover much better aftersales)

If you are talking of bluetooth connection, then my brothers Nokia N95 works fine with my s90i - just remember not to turn the unit OFF (cold start) or you will need to re-pair every time, just switch click off and on (warm start). Cannot advise on day to day use with the N95 as don't use it myself - all my Sony Ericssons work with no issues, although use my cars built-in bluetooth feature, not that of the Navman on a day to day basis
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Navman typically same or next day replying these days in my experience (since the Mio takeover much better aftersales)

If you are talking of bluetooth connection, then my brothers Nokia N95 works fine with my s90i - just remember not to turn the unit OFF (cold start) or you will need to re-pair every time, just switch click off and on (warm start). Cannot advise on day to day use with the N95 as don't use it myself - all my Sony Ericssons work with no issues, although use my cars built-in bluetooth feature, not that of the Navman on a day to day basis

Many thanks xtraseller for the advise
Cheers
Martin

Life is how you make it

DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that list, xtraseller. I can't see anything in it that's going to address any of the major issues I have with the S90i, so it's time to move on. As each day went by and I grew increasingly dissatisfied with it - I only held on in the knowledge that a Service Pack was just around the corner (pun intended!). NavMan had their chance and they blew it. Great shame - so near but so far. Crying or Very sad

--

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by DaveMatthews on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: