Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi custom voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi custom voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi custom voices Reply with quote

Been looking at Ash's voice software and it all looks very complicated, over my head !

I have a Nuvi 250, if anyone has any voices like john cleese / homer simpson that sort of thing that is completed and can just be installed i'd be willing to pay them for a copy.

If you could PM me that would be great.

(to the mods - sorry to put this thread here but wanted to put it somewhere where it was most visible to Nuvi users)
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

105 views !
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be aware that many voice files are copyrighted and swapping / pirating them is not permitted here. Some are copyright free and but the voices are not those of the original person.

I would advise asking for places where you can buy legitimate voice files for your Sat Nav.

Also as this is a forum please keep all responses on the forum so we can all use the information.
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Please be aware that many voice files are copyrighted and swapping / pirating them is not permitted here. Some are copyright free and but the voices are not those of the original person.

I would advise asking for places where you can buy legitimate voice files for your Sat Nav.

Also as this is a forum please keep all responses on the forum so we can all use the information.

Fair point Paul, being a member of several different forums the last thing I want to do is get myself and also this site exposed to copyright law infrigements so i'll take it as a slap on the wrists !
I was unaware if a user made their own voice files it was copyright protected, I thought it would be theirs to sell ?

I looked over Ash's software and its all very complicated for a complete novice like me.

In response to the above then, does anyone know where I can buy custom voices for my Garmin then.

your help is very much appreciated
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was unaware if a user made their own voice files it was copyright protected, I thought it would be theirs to sell ?

I think the phrase "make a voice file" has caused confussion. I'll clarify what i mean...

It depends on what material was used to make the voices.

If the file was made by Fox Broadcasting Company, who own the Simpsons, or by a third party, under license (i.e. with Fox Broadcasting Company permission) then that is ok. However only the person who bought it is free to use it. He / she is not free to swap or trade the files.

If the recording was taken from a professional impressionist and then used without the impressionists permission, then this probably wouldn't be ok. It depends on if the impressionist had given permission for his work to be used in this manner or if he gave up all copyright on his material.

If the recording is you, or a mate who has given permission for you use the recording, doing a Homer Simpson impression (however good / bad) then you are free to do this and distribute it as you see fit.

If the file was made by Joe Bloggs from sounds clips taken from Simpsons DVDs then that is NOT ok. The original material was copyrighted and the person creating the has no right to use the material.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: