Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just paid my £19 :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just paid my £19 :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garmin_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Just paid my £19 :) Reply with quote

I am a field engineeer so this is a must have for me & may i say to me this service is worth every penny, but one question when i use the garmin poi loader using your database should i use the remove old custom POI'S? if not will i still get old speed cams showing up or does this remove all POI'S installed such as petrol stations etc which were factory installed?

Thanks guys
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

POILoader will remove ALL exisiting POIs before loading the new ones, so put your POIs and Speed Cam POI files in one folder in your PC and load them all each time you make a change or update a file.

Factory installed POIs (which will be badly out of date) are unaffected. Only the ones you add as Custom POIs.
garmin_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind welcome & quick response, just a message to those who think paying yearly is to much, if this saves you just once then you have more than got your moneys worth, I was going to go & pay through the garmin site but i have a tomtom also so this makes much more sense to go with pocketgpsworld, along with the fact these should be more accurate with all the road users input Smile.

Thanks
Steve210251
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Hi and welcome.

POILoader will remove ALL exisiting POIs before loading the new ones, so put your POIs and Speed Cam POI files in one folder in your PC and load them all each time you make a change or update a file.

Factory installed POIs (which will be badly out of date) are unaffected. Only the ones you add as Custom POIs.

Paul-is it best in that case to delete the factory installed POIs in case of duplicated warnings?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve210251 wrote:

Paul-is it best in that case to delete the factory installed POIs in case of duplicated warnings?

it can't be done - they're within the map data

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As MaFt says, plus you can't set them up with Proximity Warnings anyway. Only the ones loaded through POILoader.
Steve210251
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks-didn't realise that. Does that mean it could result in duplication on the maps if the POI is in both? Cheers again!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'factory installed POIs' we are referring to the built-in POI data such as Petrol Stations, Railway Stations etc etc. It is these that cannot be removed.

And Welcome from me too Very Happy
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

As MaFt says, plus you can't set them up with Proximity Warnings anyway. Only the ones loaded through POILoader.

I've just move to Garmin from TomTom (TT GO died at nearly 4 years old) The Garmin camera database is very poor, plenty of cameras that have been around years are not shown, my TT was last updated about 12 months ago from here and I never found an error with that. So am looking to subscribe here again to up date the Garmin (Nuvi 200wide). I am interesed in the comment (made above) that 'proximity warnings' can't be set. Does that mean there is no way to get an audible warning from the Garmin? Plus what about the red warning bars at the top of the screen, do they function when working from the pocketgps data base?

Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the answer is in the bit you quoted. You can set Proximity Alerts for POIs installed using POILoader. You just can't set proximity alerts for the FACTORY installed POIs. As the PGPSW Safety Camera database is loaded using POILoader you it'll generate alerts of the type you describe. You get a red banner warning and a warning tone if you are speeding when you approach the camera.

Also if you look at Ash10s Camera Manager Click Here you can customise the alerts even further.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeta1 wrote:
The Garmin camera database is very poor, plenty of cameras that have been around years are not shown

yet they claim to have the best database ever...!!! their sales page is funny Laughing
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
To be honest the answer is in the bit you quoted. You can set Proximity Alerts for POIs installed using POILoader. You just can't set proximity alerts for the FACTORY installed POIs. As the PGPSW Safety Camera database is loaded using POILoader you it'll generate alerts of the type you describe. You get a red banner warning and a warning tone if you are speeding when you approach the camera.

Also if you look at Ash10s Camera Manager Click Here you can customise the alerts even further.

Many thanks, that helps. What has confused me is that I have loaded other POI groups (i.e. no speed camera) using the loader tool but none of those have come up on the proximity warning screen, thats why I thought the proximity warning was related to the Garmin camera database. So if I load up PGPSW camera database will that show alongside side the Garmin data?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any POIs (including the PGPSW Safety Cameras) you load will appear under Custom POIs on your unit.

Normally POIs for Supermarkets, Petrol Stations etc have no speed data in them so they don't generate a Proximity Alert. In fact Garmin don't show any POIs on screen that don't have a Proximity setting other than when you view the map when checking a destination. In normal travelling mode (guided and un-guided) you'll only see a POI if you select it as a Via or Final Destination. You can change this with POILoader but it gets annoying very quickly. I believe TT show all POIs when travelling but Garmins don't.

The PGPSW database DOES have speed related data in it. Each camera is a set of co-ordinates and a name such as GATSO:12345@50. This camera will alert you to it presence if you are going over 50 mph. It will give an audio alert and a visual alert at the top of the screen that says GATSO:12345@50. GATSO is the camera type, 12345 is it database reference and 50 is the speed limit for that camera.

The key difference is that TT show POIs as you drive near them. Garmins don't unless they are a selected Via Point or Final Destination. The Cameras will however show as they have speed related data built in.

If you do load the PGPSW database you MUST disable the Garmin built in Safety Cameras otherwise you'll get duplicate and out of date alerts.
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005,

Paul thanks for taking the time to write, that's a brillaint reply, you've filled a number of gaps in my understanding of Garmin. Many thanks for that.

You should write a 'dummies guide@ to Garmin!!

Paul
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Just for completeness heres a screenshot of Sutton High Street from my i3...

You see all the little beer mugs. They represent pubs, hence we can be sure we are looking at Sutton. On the High Street just between High and Street you can see a Px symbol, which is a chemist (Boots). These are the Garmin built in POIs. You only ever see them here, never when driving. You cannot set Proximity Alerts for them either.

OK. See the big Red W Symbol, that's Woolworths, the blue icon with yellow and white stripes is Kwik-Fit (Although in totally the wrong place) and the camera symbol with a blue border is a Mobile Camera Location. Now the first two don't appear in the map except in this mode or if set as a destination or via point. The cameras do appear as you approach them as shown below.

This example shows a RedLight camera, number 9729 in the database with a speed limit of 40 mph. It has a #40 instead of @40 because i use Ash10s Camera Manager (CM) to alter the default behaviour. Normally you only get an alert if you are speeding as you approach the camera, however with Ash10s CM it doubles up the cameras. One set with an initial alert that goes off once as you approach the camera, regardless of your speed. The second alert continuously sounds as you approach if you are still over the limit. Each camera will appear in the database twice. Once as GATSO:12345@0 and again as GATSO:1234#40. The first entry gives the initial alert, the second the continuous alert if speeding.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: